3000D 4x4 - opinions and comments please

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
deanm
Town: Kloof
Vehicle: 3000D

3000D 4x4 - opinions and comments please

Post by deanm »

hi all,

I've just managed to find myself a 3000D 4x4 DC, 2000 model with 183k on the clock and FSH. I've also got a 2x4 DC 3000D (1999 model) which I've had for 4 years, and the reason I went for the 3000D is for reliability. My 2x4 has 325k on the clock and still goes strong, so I'm expecting good things from the 4x4.

What are your comments about the 4x4? Any weaknesses I should know about?

Regards

Dean
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: 3000D 4x4 - opinions and comments please

Post by Family_Dog »

Purportedly, the 3000D used to blow head gaskets at around 100,000km... but your vehicles seem to prove otherwise! Maybe you're just a better driver than others ;)

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Hi Dean, welcome to the Forum :thumbup:

I do ot see a lot of 3000D on the road nowadays, not sure why?
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Good reliable vehicle, excelent for sightseeing, you won't miss a thing!
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
deanm

Post by deanm »

When I tell people that the engine will last forever, this is a good thing, 'cos it takes an eternity to get anywhere!

Living at the coast the van is quite usable. However, when I go up to the Reef or the Free State I can def tell the drop in power.

Dean
merwn
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Kriel
Vehicle: 1995 Hilux 4x4 DC

Post by merwn »

Hi

Ons het 'n d4d 3000d by die werk (doen rehab op die ou myne wat toe maak)
so ry so 95% in die veld hy het nou 199500 Km op die klok sonder enige probleeme het op sy 180000 Km service sy discs voor en sy dromme agter en sy propshaft gedoen dis al en hy trek nog soos 'n droom as my skip eendag inkom koop ek verseker vir my ook een
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Hoppy wrote:Good reliable vehicle, excelent for sightseeing, you won't miss a thing!
Hopps, jy het beslis vanoggend jou 'wize crispies' gehad :lol: :lol: :lol:
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

Personally I am not a diesel fan and a 3.0L four cylinder engine does not make sense, to me that is, If you want a 3.0L go 6 cylinder. M2CW :wink:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Bloues
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Hilux 2.2 D/C

Post by Bloues »

Die 3000D 4x4 was min van gemaak, daai tyd het Toyota 'n Turbo gaan bysit op die 3000D watnie baie suksesvol was....hulle het headgaskets gepop.......!!! Die 3000D 4x4 is bietjie lui maar redelik goud werd !!!! Al die is "word of mounth" soos ek by ander kenners gehoor het. Hoop kan jou tevrede stel !!!!

Punt is dis 'n Toyota !!!!! :thumbup:
Bloues
(Nie blou bul maar SHARKS ondersteuner)
Don't fence me in.....
'91 D/Cab 2.2(4y) AKA - Bloues. Lifted Suspension, Dual Battery, 80Liter Freezer, Bridgestone Dueler A/T, 29Mhz Radio, Mud Creeper Winch(Aus), EasyAwn Rooftop Tent, Roofrack, Garmin Nuvi, Long Range Fuel Tank, Jacks+straps for landi recovery.....
deanm

Post by deanm »

As part of my studies (engineering) I worked at Alpine Developments in Pinetown in 1995. I learnt a lot about turbo charging, and shortly thereafter a friend of mine worked there, during the talks with TSA about adding a turbo to the 3000D engine. They weren't very successful ito reliability, but in NA (normally aspirated) form they are apparently quite good. I've had great success with my 2x4 3000D (325k on the clock).

To my mind, if you want a blown engine, 1st prize for reliability is a supercharger (but so expensive). If you're going to go turbo, then intercool it, and do everything you can to get rid of the heat. Heat is the enemy for turbo'd vehicles.

I purposely stayed away from the 3000TD, and spent some time looking for a NA 3000D.

Engine aside, are there any issues/weaknesses with the 4x4 drivetrain?

PS: my 2x4 is still running the original clutch and brake discs!
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

deanm wrote:do everything you can to get rid of the heat. Heat is the enemy for turbo'd vehicles.
Just remove the water from the turbo too, that helps allot.
deanm wrote:are there any issues/weaknesses with the 4x4 drivetrain?
Not that I know off, dude it's Toyota, it is proven :twisted:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ozzie
Town: parklands capetown
Vehicle: hilux

Post by ozzie »

hi i am in the process of purchasing a 3000d hilux dual cab 4 x 4 99 model and owner told me originally before he purchased it , it had a after market fit tubo fitted by alpine and blew up at 100 000km and was rebuilt by toyota , then he bought it and took it to sac capetown and they told him turf the turbo and and skim the head and put a free flow exhaust on , and he has had it 140 000 km later and says it goes like a boeing , i drove it and i must admitt it pulls nicely better than some kzte models i,ve driven , personnely from my experience with turbos stay away , second hand you don,t know what life it has had ,and the slow speed there,s no better way to see africa doing 120 km and down
floris
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: cape town these days..
Vehicle: hilux

Post by floris »

Bought my 3000d d/c 4x4 at 250000 kms - everyone I know said those engines (without the turbo) will last forever....
I only did 6000kms before the engine started using oil, needed a complete rebuild....
I suspect, however, that odo may have been tampered with, since the rest of the body have worked hard.... :eh:
Went the KZT-route, since that 3000d was SLOW, (it reminded me of my fleetline kombi I had years ago - owners manual reckoned under the 0-100 -spec: N/A - top speed was 96km/h... :clap: )
I enjoy it now :thumbup: , I'm also married to it... :confused:
Jonathan Swatts
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Jonathan Swatts »

I have one of these...bought with 187 000kms on the clock, now has 252 000kms on it and no problems so far. That engine is great offroad, especially on very steep declines. The only place where it struggles is in the sand because of the lack of power and being a diesel it doesn't rev. It can also be a bit frustrating to drive long distances when loaded. Consumption is great though. They still make this engine (3.0DE) for use in the rest of Africa so it has obviously proven itself over time.
deanm

Post by deanm »

ozzie wrote:hi i am in the process of purchasing a 3000d hilux dual cab 4 x 4 99 model and owner told me originally before he purchased it , it had a after market fit tubo fitted by alpine and blew up at 100 000km and was rebuilt by toyota , then he bought it and took it to sac capetown and they told him turf the turbo and and skim the head and put a free flow exhaust on , and he has had it 140 000 km later and says it goes like a boeing , i drove it and i must admitt it pulls nicely better than some kzte models i,ve driven , personnely from my experience with turbos stay away , second hand you don,t know what life it has had ,and the slow speed there,s no better way to see africa doing 120 km and down
Hi Ozzie,

I have 2 of these vehicles, one 4x4 and a 4x2. The 4x2 has 330 000km on the clock and still goes with no problems. I recently bought the 4x4 3000D on the strength of my 4x2 and having just come back on a trip across Lesotho, I'm very impressed with the 4x4. We went up Sani, across to Butha Buthe via Oxbow and then back to Sani via Katse. Average speed of about 30km/h (roads are that bad), and as the first major test of the 4x4 I'm very, very happy.

The low range is superb up to about 40km/h (faster than that and the engine revs too high), and even at those high altitudes, pulls just fine in the low range.

If you can find one with full service history (provable) don't let high mileage put you off. You have a normally aspirated 3litre engine rated at 67kw: it is so understressed! (Stay away from the turbo though!)

I have a joke abt the 3000D: the engine will last forever, which is a good thing 'cos it takes an eternity to get anywhere!

My 3000D 4x4 is my dream vehicle 'cos it goes where I want it to go; it runs at abt 10l/100km; it can be repaired easily and relatively cheaply; spares are freely available and I can enjoy 4x4'ing in remote places with peace of mind.

Dean

PS: I ran my 4x2 on biodiesel for abt 6 months, ranging in mixture from 15% to 100%, and I've had zero issues with the engine or fuel system.

One characteristic that I did notice with both vans: the rear main seals leak, leaivng a small pool of oil on the garage floor. Has anyone else had this problem?
Elton
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux

Post by Elton »

Hi Guys

I am new to the forum.

I currently own a '95 solid axle hilux with this motor in it. Yes, the vehicle is very slow, but off road, especially on rough rocky terrain, the vehicle is a dream.

I think, this combination works very well.
irneb
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 DE D/C 4x4

Post by irneb »

Same here, 2001 3000D. A small oil leak - uses about 500ml every 4-6 months. Biggest gripe is the black smoke when the engine is cold. Not so much after it's run for about 10min. Have read somewhere it's due to injector settings. Some other small niggly bits like the interior light always blowing (but I think that's something all hiluxes in this model has). Fuel consumption's not bad either, about 13l/100km in town - 11 on long roads. From the specs this sounds higher than normal, maybe it needs a bit of tuning.

On that line, does anyone know of a good reputable mech who can do not just the servicing, but also fix up the injectors & tune the economy back? Preferably in or around Sandton - FourWays JHB? I've burnt my pocket book too many times (with other cars) using so-called "good" mechanics who did little else than stuff a car which was running fine to begin with, and this being a diesel I don't want just any spanner wielding monkey to touch it.
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Spartan »

Elton wrote:I currently own a '95 solid axle hilux
Is the solid axle in the front or rear position :?: :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :picknose: :goodjob:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

3000D... the phrase 'Going nowhere slowly' comes to mind! :twisted:

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”