Botswana trip

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: P.E.
Vehicle: Raider 2.2 4x4; Mikem 50mm raised suspension, long range tank, Monroe gasses all round.

Botswana trip

Post by Maddoglips »

Hi All

My wife and I were having a chat and came on we should try to do a Botswana trip end of the year. (Money PERMITTING)

What we were thinking as we aren't experienced overlanders was that should we do this, maybe it would be best to do a guided package tour as our first and then from there start doing more on our own.

Question is,

Is this the best way? Or is it better to just try it without the guides and learn from experience.

Look it's a long time away and obviousely my vehicle's gonna need alot of work done on her first but what do the more experienced overlanders think?

Just for chat sake.

Zane
It's better to Burn Out then Fade Away.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Botswana trip

Post by OOOOMS »

Hi Zane, Bots imo is not good value for money, bookings, park fees, vehicle fees + camping fees.....

Rather go to Namibia.....much better & good value for money! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: You can safely travel alone, no problems, better with two vehicles though!
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Raider 2.2 4x4; Mikem 50mm raised suspension, long range tank, Monroe gasses all round.

Post by Maddoglips »

Cheers Mark

I don't doubt you on Namibs(2nd Big trip plan) being beautifull, but I've wanted to see the Chobe reserve and Kgalagadi National park for along time as have heard alot of it.

I have also read what you are saying though about the costs and places there(Bots) being over priced and bedraggled that's why I wanna go now before it's worse.

Would it be best though to pay and do the guided tour or not though?

Zane
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Selfdrive.... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

You just need to do some reading up / map / and petrol in your van, oh yes beers toooo... :thumbup:
warthog
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Barberton
Vehicle: Fortuner 4.0 V6 Auto, LRFT, Dual Batt, OME's, BFG AT's, ARM comp, 800w inv, Roofrack

Post by warthog »

Zane, we're doing a (mad) dash to the Central Kalahari Game Reserve over the Easter weekend. At this stage 4 veh's, 2 with caravans and 2 with trailers.

Will be able to tell you more after that...
Hennie
ImageImage

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Jos 24:15: "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord"
doug
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: KRUGERSDORP
Vehicle: 1988 SFA 4Y 2.2 HILUX

Post by doug »

Hi Zane - My wife and I toured Botswana (solo) for three weeks in December in a 1988 HiLux and would recommend GO FOR IT!
We made no bookings and had no problem finding accommodation anywhere. I would recommend prior booking at the National Parks. Bookings and fees are not accepted at the gates and most of the campsites have been privatised (Bigfoot Safaris have most of the concessions - I have heard their fees are quite unrealistic).
We started off in the Tuli Block - Nata - CKGR (in at Matswere out at Xade) - Ghanzi - Drotsky Caves - Tsodilo Hills - Shakawe - across the Caprivi to Katimo Mulilo - back to Nata - Lekubu Island and ended off at Khama Rhino Sanctuary.
Botwana is a safe and stunning country to visit. Tar roads are fair (some potholes). Petrol is almost R2/Litre cheaper and campsites varied from BWP50 - BWP100pppn. We stayed free in the CKGR as the officials never arrived to collect fees. Temperatures range from 35 - 45deg with very little rain.
We did a tour 3 years ago with a guide -very expensive and definitely saw a lot more this time round.
lukestrugnell
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: JHB
Vehicle: Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: M18

Post by lukestrugnell »

In my opinion Go by yourself.

I really cant think of much worse than to be told when and where to go.

You will learn as you go and as long as your vehicles is in good nick and you have no medical problems you will be fine.

Even if you do Bots is not so isolated and you will always find a fellow overlander to help you.

If it will make you feel better take a sat phone, you can rent one, and have some contacts to call should the @#$% hit the fan.

One piece of advice, DO NOT think you need to go to 4x4 warehouse and say "Maak Vol" you dont need half the stuff to do a good trip.

I did a 62 day trip to Tanzania and back with a ground tent, single battery, old hilux, cooler box, gps that just pointed direction etc.

Sure some things make it more comfy but they are not neccessary to a good trip.

Just my 2c worth!

Sounds great!

:thumbup:
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Maddoglips »

:thumbup:

Cheers all for the great advice, it appears the sensus is Go It Solo. :D: So It Shall Be Then

I'm already talking to some folks who have done it and getting the correct maps aswell as gonna see if my GPS will be able to work the maps 4 africa as I think that'll help.

I agree with the don't need to kit it to the "T". All I plan on having is my vehicle with a DBS, my 12v fridge, lights and ground tent along with the obvious basic requirements.

As for the recovery gear, I'll have the Hi Lift, ropes and shackels and spades. I have n't so far seen or read a article that says a winch and sand ladders is a must.

The hardest part of kitting for the trip, will be to get the Miss Use to leave all the gadgets behind so there's enough place place for my BEER :D:

I'll keep you informed of the progress and see what your comments are as the advice recieved from all is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Zane
mushroom
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: '16 Legend 45 DC 4x4M

Post by mushroom »

Zane, we're bumbling up to Khutse for a long weekender in Feb on a self drive. Will keep you posted dude
Q20 if its stuck, duct tape if it moves :shock2: :shock2: :shock2:

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”