What Hilux would best suite the job ?

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Francois jnr
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: Toyota

What Hilux would best suite the job ?

Post by Francois jnr »

Good Afternoon All

I am new to the forum and hope I am posting this in the rigth section.
I would like some advice on what would be the best choice.

Its time for a new Hilux to be added to the family but I just cant seem to make up my mind the thing is
I am looking at the following aspects:
I will be towing a trailer +- 3tons for work so I am looking for a Hilux that has the capability to do this and
would offer a good fuel consumption rate and will also be a great 4x4 vehicle. Also due to the distances I dont
what to offer up the ride comfort aswell but which Hilux doesnt drive like a dream ? :thumbup:
Any suggestion would do ? aslong as that its in the Toyota family :P

Thank You
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: What Hilux would best suite the job ?

Post by OOOOMS »

Welcome to the forum, depends on your budget?

Towing 3t you would prob. require a Landcruiser 4.2 which has the capacity of towing approx. 3t. Hilux d4d only approx. 1.7t towig capacity. You will be able to tow a 3t trailer with the 3.0 or 4.0l but not legally.
lukestrugnell
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: JHB
Vehicle: Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: M18

Post by lukestrugnell »

I dont think towing 3 tons you will ever get good fuel economy and as such I reckon go for something you will at least have power.

I reckon the hilux 4.0 V6 or a 4.5 petrol cruiser!

Cheers
Big D
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: SFA Hilux 2.2 BFi

Post by Big D »

Welcome to the best Forum by far. The landcruiser pick up now has a 4.0 v6 engine, the same as in the Hilux and Fortuner. Think that would be best suited, legally :|
'94 lux, 3rz, Dual Tcases, 4.7, Lifted, Locked, 33"
ImageImage

"My worse fear is when i DIE, my wife will sell my car for what I told her I spent on it..."
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.
Marty
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: 2002 face lift KZ-TE DC. Mod’s / dual batter - kinda ;) / Active suspension / Intercooler / free flow / ECU Chip / sports flow air filter

Post by Marty »

legally yes ;) but I have faith that the D4D's can do the job.
Not that I will pull that load, but if I ever had to replace my KZ-TE ( haha - as if )
I would go for a 3.0L D4D D/C 4x4. I love the torque the diesel gives but on the other hand diesel does not match the kw of a petrol.

And the diesel’s fuel consumption is better than the petrol.

But for me, I would go for 3.0L D4D D/C 4x4. But that’s just me. And if I really had money the Land Cruiser station wagon . And if I had so much money that I whip my bum with it, the Land Cruiser VX 200 *drool*
One Africa, One Hilux needed :)
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Hi Martin
AFAIK the hilux and LC can only tow 1500kg legally :roll: :roll:
http://www.um.co.za/specifications/toyo ... 2006).aspx
The Prado can tow 2500kg
The other brands that can tow more I will not even mention.

Rusty can you please google and verify this :thumbup: :thumbup:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

The data is correct :thumbup: However TSA are busy with the Japs to have this changed. Toyota have always been conservative with their figures, however with all the towing regulations in place is SA they may burn their fingers on this issue.
Marty
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: 2002 face lift KZ-TE DC. Mod’s / dual batter - kinda ;) / Active suspension / Intercooler / free flow / ECU Chip / sports flow air filter

Post by Marty »

george wrote:Hi Martin
The Prado can tow 2500kg

George, I agree legally only 1500. But I know they can do more :)
Not that I would want to. I dont like towing myself.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Abserlutely capable, my mate tow's a 3.5t trailer with his 2.5 S/C d4d :thumbup:
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

For towing heavy loads, turbo diesel is the way to go. Altough the V6 has more power and torque than the 3.0 D4D, that power and torque is available much higher in the rev range than the T diesels. My ex 2.7 VVTi had more power and almost the same torque as my ex 2.5 D4d, but the D4d was a better tow vehicle than the 2.7, because the torque was made at lower revs.
ImageImage
Francois jnr

Post by Francois jnr »

Good Morning Guys

Thank you for all the warm welcomes and advise :D

I doubt that I will ever reach max towing of 3t and if I would it would be a rare occasion and the trailer is
a double axle that helps with the load. I was leaning towards the Land cruiser had a 4.2D for a while till some hard times hit and that would be my dream to have the double cab 4.2D back again , but the wifey said she wouldn’t be caught dead driving the pick up and unfortunately I don’t have the moolas for the 200 series. I like the 3L D4D 4x4 and would like to get more info on it if somebody knows where I can get it :think: ,I believe in diesel towing abilities. Has anybody had some heavy issues with this model? What should I look at when buying a second hand one I am probably looking to spend not more the 300k.

Thanks Guys
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Francois ..... also bear in mind that there are legal limits in terms of the weight relationship between the towing vehicle and the trailer, no matter what power plant is in the vehicle. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

george wrote:Hi Martin
The Prado can tow 2500kg

While I'm at it would your like a cup of coffee too... and a new dressing for that burnt finger??

Go do your own .oogling... I'm a wikipedia man! :twisted:
Marty
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Marty »

Francois jnr wrote:Good Morning Guys

Thank you for all the warm welcomes and advise :D

I doubt that I will ever reach max towing of 3t and if I would it would be a rare occasion and the trailer is
a double axle that helps with the load. I was leaning towards the Land cruiser had a 4.2D for a while till some hard times hit and that would be my dream to have the double cab 4.2D back again , but the wifey said she wouldn’t be caught dead driving the pick up and unfortunately I don’t have the moolas for the 200 series. I like the 3L D4D 4x4 and would like to get more info on it if somebody knows where I can get it :think: ,I believe in diesel towing abilities. Has anybody had some heavy issues with this model? What should I look at when buying a second hand one I am probably looking to spend not more the 300k.

Thanks Guys

Francois, U will be very happy with the 3L D4D 4x4. If I had to replace my KZ right now. That would be the one that I would go for. Unless I win the lotto and BIG. Then I'll upgrade to the 200 VX *drool*
chopper

Post by chopper »

Towed a 2 x axle trailer with fair-sized loads on both to Macia in Moz recently with quite a bit of gravel road too including some bad patches and the 3L D4D (not 4x4) handled it very well (a pity its not my own!)
Marty
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Marty »

chopper wrote:Towed a 2 x axle trailer with fair-sized loads on both to Macia in Moz recently with quite a bit of gravel road too including some bad patches and the 3L D4D (not 4x4) handled it very well (a pity its not my own!)
<- Not your own yet, hey Thinus :)
chopper

Post by chopper »

Nah, that's wishful thinking for now - the KZTE will have to do for some time!
MORNE
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Isuzu E/cab 3.0 D-tec

Post by MORNE »

Francois jnr wrote:Good Afternoon All

I am new to the forum and hope I am posting this in the rigth section.
I would like some advice on what would be the best choice.

Its time for a new Hilux to be added to the family but I just cant seem to make up my mind the thing is
I am looking at the following aspects:
I will be towing a trailer +- 3tons for work so I am looking for a Hilux that has the capability to do this and
would offer a good fuel consumption rate and will also be a great 4x4 vehicle. Also due to the distances I dont
what to offer up the ride comfort aswell but which Hilux doesnt drive like a dream ? :thumbup:
Any suggestion would do ? aslong as that its in the Toyota family :P

Thank You
Ja, I know I am going to be hated for this but its only my opinion , so here goes. No T/D will be adle to last very long if you are pulling a 3 TON TRAILER DAILY! Your EGT temp. is going to go threw the roof and you will kook your turbo or crack a head.The only why to go is normale aspirated diesel, as in the 4.2 D, a v6 petrol or 4.5 EFi. That is if you want to keep your bakkie for a long time, as in 5 year + , or more than 150 000km.
Francois jnr

Post by Francois jnr »

Good Morning Guys

Thanks for all the info I spoke to the people building the trailer they gave me the wrong specs :roll: not supprised. The trailer will only be capable of carrying max load of +- 2t so I doubt if I will even be pulling that then so I guess it would be the 3L d4d then. I heard a friend of mine speaking about a Vego anybody know anything about this model? :wink:
Thanks
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Vigo, is the D4D shape

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”