High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Stevoort [Belgium]
Vehicle: Hilux double cab

Davy's DIY canopy

Post by Dalux »

hey guys,

i descided to build my own canopy,
i just want something simpel, a alu frame, with "een rooster"(can't come up the english word) and canvas.
but i want to make it with a light and easy to cut, like isomo, to see how it will like like, what do you think about that?
maybe, we are going to make it with alu tough, instead of canvas, so it's going too like like a defender pick up canopy
a phone that is as tough as a toyota hilux? --> the SONIM XP3 QUEST! BUILD FOR LIVE
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Davy's DIY canopy

Post by OOOOMS »

Here is a pic of nine as an example. Frame and side all in alu. 2mm for the doors and 3mm on the roof. The front doors I use a kirchen (left side) recovery equipment on the other side. Back doors are for access only.
Attachments
DSC01732 (Small).JPG
Bushwacker
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vryheid Natal
Vehicle: 2003 HILEX, 35" maxxis. 2009 Prado 120 VX

Post by Bushwacker »

Looks Great Mark :thumbup: put some more pics please. How much did it cost you in materials, labour and so on?
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

This one cost me R13000 by a supplier, the previous one cost me about R4000 in total(DIY), but the running around and little time at the end of the day, was easier for me.
Attachments
DSC01736 (Small).JPG
SAthing
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota D4D 2.5 4x4

Post by SAthing »

I’m also thinking of building an aluminium canopy. I have read the other posts about DIY canopies and is unsure about the angle (taper towards to roof) of the canopy. I have a 2006 double cab which is much rounder in appearance than earlier models and it is therefore more difficult to estimate the slant of the sides of the canopy.

Has anyone have an idea what angle to use for the slant of the sides of the canopy for the later hilux models?
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Hi, I have measured in cm and not degrees.

From the outside loadbin to the top of the canopy inwards is 16cm.

Hope that helps.
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

OOOOMS wrote:Hi, I have measured in cm and not degrees.

From the outside loadbin to the top of the canopy inwards is 16cm.

Hope that helps.
That would give you an inner angle of around 68.5°
CANOPY ANGLE.jpg
CANOPY ANGLE.jpg (12.04 KiB) Viewed 8328 times
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
SAthing
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by SAthing »

Dankie vir die somme hierbo, dit bevestig my eie benaderde metings. :thumbup: Ek het uitgekom op tussen 67 en 70 grade.
Dalux
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Dalux »

hey guys, i'm still am not beginning on the canopy, i am working now and have a lot less time on my hands,
i have a question, i have a ladder rack, i want to leave it where it is, can i build a canopy with the ladder rack in mind?
here are some pics:

and also, do i really need a back window? can't i just make a canopy for commercial use, with only sheet metal?
and what can i use for the back door to lock it? so i think it would be a hardtop like a defender pick up has, without windows.

kind regards, davy
a phone that is as tough as a toyota hilux? --> the SONIM XP3 QUEST! BUILD FOR LIVE
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I still prefer the idea of windows so that you can see through .... especially usefull when you are reversing with longer lengths of materials on the rack. And yes of course there's no reason why you cannot build a canopy that incorporates a ladder rack. Just one word of afdvice, make it stronger than just to carry ladders, because there will be times that you will want to carry heavier things up there. On my previous bakkie, I had a ladder rack on top of the glass-fibre canopy, but with support struts internally mounted. If you look at my work truck in the signature pics below, this vehicle has an external frame supporting the rack which has on numerous occasions been loaded with a half ton or more without any problems. Even with the extrnal supports, it is however secured to the canopy itself for more stability. I used 32mm round tubing with a 2mm wall thickness but the bed is strengthened by the side rails and the braces in the design of the side rails.

It's all entirely possible, and not difficult to make yourself. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Here is a bigger picture. The supports are mounted to a seperate 'step' that is bolted to the side of the load-body .... also very useful for when loading and unloading the rack. It gives a place to stand without scratching the paintwork to pieces.
IM004163.JPG

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Dalux
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Dalux »

yeah i prefer without windows because i need to load all of my photograph material and snowboards, and all other expensive stuff, and i want it so that outstanders can't see that all of that is in there, so it's safer, if i need to park somewhere, also i will need good locks, and tha canopy will not be used every day. we will see, first need to work a bit harder to pay the bills i think :) and also to make the car eco friendly, (and also money friendly) :-p
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: South Africa
Vehicle: Land Cruiser 79 Series 4.5 EFi

Post by Mountain Man »

You could alway get one of thoes carry frames and close it in like I did. Hellva strong
Bare frame before being closed in
Bare frame before being closed in
4X4 (22)a.jpg (41.77 KiB) Viewed 8222 times
Frame closed in with 3mm aluminium tread plate
Frame closed in with 3mm aluminium tread plate
P4275120a.jpg (43.36 KiB) Viewed 8222 times
051a.jpg
051a.jpg (40 KiB) Viewed 8222 times
I wanted a canopy with no windows for security reasons. I find with the double cab the lack of windows is not a problem because I can look out of the rear passenger windows as well. I also wanted to be able to carry long heavy objects on occasion like pipes. So this frame that was modified to be a canopy as well worked for me. It is not meant to be a poor mans subsitute for a ARB or Alu Cab canopy but rather a functional piece of equipment which I don't mind bolting things onto and modifying where needed. Something that can take the punishment without me cringing. If I did it agai I would use thinner aluminium. The 3mm is so strong but it is overkill.
Just because it says "4WD" doesn't make it an off-road vehicle.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

You can of course make then seperate of each other so that they can be removed or added individually as you choose. My personal experience with that, is that after a while one get's lazy and they are just left in place, and only removed if the need arises to take it off. :think:

OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Hi, here are the pic's you requestd. let me know if it is sufficient.

Regards
Attachments
DSC03612 (Small).JPG
DSC03611 (Small).JPG
DSC02384 (Small).JPG
DSC02383 (Small).JPG
DSC02381 (Small).JPG
Dalux
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Dalux »

ok thx, getting wiser here every day :)
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

The 3mm is so strong but it is overkill
Agreed!

1.6mm is sufficient for the sides, provided there is a relativele sturdy frame like 10mm alu. square tubing.
For the roof I used 3mm just for extra strengh, for the RTT or roof rack.

Regards
Dalux
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Dalux »

OOOOMS wrote:
The 3mm is so strong but it is overkill
Agreed!

1.6mm is sufficient for the sides, provided there is a relativele sturdy frame like 10mm alu. square tubing.
For the roof I used 3mm just for extra strengh, for the RTT or roof rack.

Regards
hey mark, can you tell me what you used for the windows? and what kind of locking system it is for the rear door?
and if you have a picture of the lock of the door :-)

davy
Whisky
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2009 Toyota Hilux DC 3.0 D -4D 4X4
Club VHF Licence: HC 136

Post by Whisky »

Hello OOOOMS (Mark),

So 'n paar vrae in verband met jou kappie. Is een gas stut voldoende vir die deur naaste aan die voertuig kajuit? Watter tipe rubber het jy tussen die kappie en die laaibak? Ek sien jy het deur rubbers gebruik by jou deure om dit stofdig te maak, het jy net plat alum daar vasgepop of het jy angle alum gebruik om die rubbers aan vas te maak?

Waar kry jy die deur knippe?

Dankie,
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

can you tell me what you used for the windows? and what kind of locking system it is for the rear door?
and if you have a picture of the lock of the door :-)
Davy, if I understand you correctly you want to know, the type of material? Shatterproof glass. In my opinion there is no need to have a slide window, as nt even a small kid can climb through, it is so small. So just a clear glass window in my opinion si sufficient, and cheap.
For the rear door just a turn handle type locking system very basic. One on either side Pic attached:
Attachments
DSC03618 (Small).JPG
DSC03617 (Small).JPG
Dalux
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Dalux »

ok thk you very much! if i get some time and money on my hands i will get started.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Niel, I think Davy's original thread has been somewhat hijacked. As Davy is from Belgium, he might be able to understand a bit of what is being said, but also might not.

Split the topic?

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Eric, agreed and I split it and you can view the rest at viewtopic.php?f=41&t=9046&p=96821#p96821
Dalux
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Dalux »

hello, can someone post me a picture of you're hilux withe the DIY canopy.
at the same angle of the picture of my hilux, then i can see how the hardtop will look like on my hilux.
i will photoshop it at my work then. :)

kind regards, davy
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Attachments
DSC02257 (Medium).JPG
chopper

Post by chopper »

Wynand,
Hoe ver het jy gevorder met die bou van jou canopy?
Thanx
chopper

Post by chopper »

Mark,
Info on the supplier of your canopy please
Thanx
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Abbacus CT - Cameron 083 20672 five seven
chopper

Post by chopper »

Thanx Mark!
SAthing
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by SAthing »

Hi Thinus, hier is 'n pic van my kappie. Ek gaan volgende week die kassies inbou en gas lifters monteer en dan sal ek die dak vas plak. Die bou van die kappie was 'n groter oefening as wat ek oorspronklik gedink het.
Attachments
kappie.jpg
chopper

Post by chopper »

Wynand,
Thanx, as ek na die foto kyk, kan ek verstaan hoekom dit 'n groter oefening was - dis impressive!
Enige man kan trots wees op so 'n dakkie - my kop is klaar vas daarop! Die vraag is net hoe?
Dalux
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Dalux »

hey guys, i did some photoshopping yesterday to look how the canopy would look like when it was on my bakkie.
only difference will be that on my kappie will not be cases on the side so it will be solid.
i'm a beginner with photoshop and do not have the pro version on my laptop at home, as like i have it on my laptop at work.
so have a look and all of the comments are welcome :)

kind regards from belgium
Attachments
1258023964Nkappie_copy.jpg
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Eh that's my canopy......patented :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding Davey, looks cool :thumbup:
hheunis
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: Hilux D4D 4x4 DC

Post by hheunis »

Hi

I'm helping my dad to build an aluminium canopy (still in the planning stages) and we want to try and make one without a frame (give the canopy rounded edges on top) by welding thicker tread plate. I have a few questions:
- The back window of a 05- Hilux is not flush with the load bay, how would one get past this problem?
- How do you attach the canopy to the load bay?
- Is the route we are following going to be too difficult to implement (most people just use frames)?

Thanks for the help
Dalux
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Dalux »

great idee tough, i was planning my own canopy but don't have the time anymore, so i'm going to buy a solid sided hardtop, and when i have the time and money to build my own canopy, it will be done! :)

Return to “Build your own:”