D-day plus 16 and counting

Planning a trip or you need information about trails in your area.
Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Howick
Vehicle: 1998 Hi-lux 2,4 S/cab (p); 1997 Hi-lux 2,4 D/cab (p)

D-day plus 16 and counting

Post by Harold »

I leave on the 27th for a four week trip heading for the Cape from KZN. We have made no bookings, have no fixed plans or route to follow, that we will decide that as we go along; - be assured it will be along the lessor by-ways and definately not the High-Ways.

it wil be a serious exploratory photographic/video excursion.

If anyone can suggest any thing of particular interest, please let me know. .

'A happy traveller has no fixed plans, and no intention of arriving.'
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
http://www.alib.co.za/hilux.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dadz Toy BFI

Re: D-day plus 16 and counting

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Harold wrote:I leave on the 27th for a four week trip heading for the Cape from KZN. We have made no bookings, have no fixed plans or route to follow, that we will decide that as we go along; - be assured it will be along the lessor by-ways and definitely not the High-Ways.

Awesome Harold, enjoy :thumbup: :thumbup:

Ps.. what sort of compositions are looking for :?: :?:
Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Harold »

Dadz Toy BFI asked:

what sort of compositions are looking for :?:

The whole spectrum of what we come across: the people & places , the views and the fauna & flora of our Country.
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Harold wrote:Dadz Toy BFI asked:

what sort of compositions are looking for :?:

The whole spectrum of what we come across: the people & places , the views and the fauna & flora of our Country.

Then you're coming in the right Direction mos :mrgreen:

F.Y.I. - the West Coast Flowers are early this year - try and make a turn there (around 250km up from Cape Town), you won't be dissapointed Harold, trust me :wink:
Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Harold »

Will most certainly head for the 'Blomme Wereld', but not along the main tourist routes.

Any suggestions ??

We are completely self contained campers having water, toilet and everything else.
We have easily managed up to 5 days in the bush with no problem; (7 days is the max if no water available), once in the Central Kalahari, the Basunga Flood Plain in Northern Kafue, and Mana Pools a few times.
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Harold wrote:Will most certainly head for the 'Blomme Wereld', but not along the main tourist routes.

Any suggestions ??

We are completely self contained campers having water, toilet and everything else.
We have easily managed up to 5 days in the bush with no problem; (7 days is the max if no water available), once in the Central Kalahari, the Basunga Flood Plain in Northern Kafue, and Mana Pools a few times.

But have you done such a long stint without dry Toilet Roll :?: :?: :o: :crazy:

Will get back to you just nou; a friend is doing a rekke up there soon :wink:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Harold wrote:I leave on the 27th for a four week trip heading for the Cape from KZN. We have made no bookings, have no fixed plans or route to follow, that we will decide that as we go along; - be assured it will be along the lessor by-ways and definately not the High-Ways.

Seweweeks Poort... from Laingsburg to Calitzdorp(or vice versa)... not a 4x4 route(gravel when I last went), but beautiful none the less... I think there's a stunning dam there called Floris Dam...

B
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Uncle Harold, remember when you go watch the flowers, I am in Langebaan. You can visit me and I can show you around. I went to Postberg today and the flowers are beautiful.

Read my last trip report at http://www.africatrips.co.za/cape-town- ... ound-trip/
I think that is like a "power pack" trip where you will see the most beautiful places in the shortest distance and I am sure some of the other frequent travelers will be able to add a place or two which I missed.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Pieter, dit klink my Potsberg is oop ? Weet jy tot wanneer dit oop is?
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Seweweeks Poort... from Laingsburg to Calitzdorp(or vice versa)... not a 4x4 route(gravel when I last went), but beautiful none the less... I think there's a stunning dam there called Floris Dam...
If you are going in this direction try staying a night in "Die Hel" (Gamkaskloof nature reserve).
Enjoy your trip.Maybe we will see you in CT :thumbup: :thumbup:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Niel, ja, is gewoonlik oop tot einde Sept. Ek was gister daar, die blomme is pragtig.
Hoe dit dop op
http://www.bokkom.co.za/blog/flowers-2009/ en ook http://www.bokkom.co.za/blog/flowers-everywhere/
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Harold
I do not know from which side you will come but as George said you can go to hell as well.

At George (the town) you can turn inland towards Outshoorn but do not take the Outiniqua pass all the way up. If you just start with the pass you will see a brown road sign indicating the Montagu Pass to the right. Take that one. It is a lovely gravel road and much more exiting than the tar road pass. After the pass you will get the N9 where you can turn left to go back to the main road to Outshoorn. Then to Caltizdorp and from Calitzdorp to hell. Remember that Calitzdorp is the Port Capital of South Africa and I saw an ad the other day about a "Pink Port" in Calitzdorp.

From Calitzdorp to Hell and back you can read here:
http://www.africatrips.co.za/the-hell/
Okkie Van Wyk
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Middelburg
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C
Club VHF Licence: N019

Post by Okkie Van Wyk »

Harold
you have to make a turn at Papkuilsfontein near Nieuwoudtvill S31 32.509 E19 09.931 its very nice on the farm they have a canyon and waterfall and a 4x4 route that will blow your mind just have a look at this link
http://www.papkuilsfontein.com/
123 WEG MP
2011 Hilux Vigo 3.0 D4D D/C
VENI VICI VIDI
CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED

Return to “Places to go”