7 MGE

Discuss modifications on your 1979 to late 1998 SFA 4x4 Hilux here.
Evert Deyzel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 94 Hilux DC 2.2

7 MGE

Post by Evert Deyzel »

Hallo

Ek wil graag weet wat is alles nodig om n 7mge conversion sukselfol te doen?

Die ouens wat klaar 7mge's in het:
1. Wat is julle brandstof verbruik in die stad en op die oop pad onderskeidelik?
2. Het julle baie moeilikheid met die motors/conversions?
3. Hoe sort mens die head gasket probleme uit?

Ek kan my 4y ruil vir n 7mge en wil graag julle opinies hoor.

Dankie
Evert
92 Hilux dc 2.2
MikeM suspension with 50mm lift

ImageImageImage
Evert Deyzel
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 94 Hilux DC 2.2

Re: 7 MGE

Post by Evert Deyzel »

Kom nou manne.

Ek is seker iemand moet my kan help.
Die ou wil sy hele conversion ruil vir my 4y setup.
Wat dink julle?

Dankie
Evert
92 Hilux dc 2.2
MikeM suspension with 50mm lift

ImageImageImage
King Rat
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by King Rat »

Ek dink go-for-it as jy kans sien vir die groei pyne. Selfs met fuel injection kry jy maar 75kw van n 4Y en dit gaan jou kos? maar met die 7mge kry jy 140kw wat baie betroubaar is as jy dinge soos die gasket en headbolt torque settings reg kry, EN dis n Toyota enjin wat jou bakkie 'pure' hou.
Datsun GX Coupe 1200
99 Subaru Legacy GT
07 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6

Lampropeltis getula californiae, Orthriophis taeniura friesi, Morelia spilota, Python brongersmai, Epicrates chenchria maurus, Python regius
Arno
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville CT
Vehicle: 1997 Hilux DC

Post by Arno »

Ek sien wat Coenraad se en dis waar maar hoekom wil die ou jou ruil ???? Maak dit wat hy se sin ?
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Evert Deyzel wrote: Ek kan my 4y ruil vir n 7mge en wil graag julle opinies hoor.

Dankie
Evert
Like putting a Square Peg in a Round Hole - rather fit something reliable that was meant for a Lux ie. 5vz-fe (3,4ltr) or the less potent but fantastic performer the: 3RZ-FE (2.7i)
King Rat
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by King Rat »

Arno wrote:Ek sien wat Coenraad se en dis waar maar hoekom wil die ou jou ruil ???? Maak dit wat hy se sin ?
Alhoewel Arno n groot punt daar beet het... :think: Anders as dit n goeie deal is is daar maar niks verkeerd met die enjins nie, hulle is al oor en oor bewys in ander Hilux bakkies met omtrent gee probleme nie. Ek ken n hele paar manne wat my jannetjies maak met daai 7mge wat hulle het!
Datsun GX Coupe 1200
99 Subaru Legacy GT
07 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6

Lampropeltis getula californiae, Orthriophis taeniura friesi, Morelia spilota, Python brongersmai, Epicrates chenchria maurus, Python regius
ThysdJ
Vehicle: 2018 FJ Cruiser
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Evert... Horses for courses my ou. If you want to sukkel on with a 4Y with no power, then you do so, if you want to stick some woema in there you go for the 7MGE..... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: 140kw vs 75kw.. do the math.. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Okay wat ek eintlik wil se is die volgende:
Conversions are costly, and always, yes always, go with a lot of growing pains and nigglies to be sorted out. I have never in my life heard of a complete conversion that was done without any tweaks or adjustments being required afterwards. So be aware, the growing pains are going to be there, and if you do not have the patience to sort these out as they pop up, and to live with it, you are going to be miserable unhappy with your conversion. BUT, here is the up side, if you DO have the patience, and you listen to others who have walked the walk, and you get all the nigglies sorted out and manage to get through the teething phase, there is a sweet reward waiting for you. Kaspaas is a 9 years down the line convertee, and I would hazard to say he's about 99.9% sorted out. BUT it took a lot of sweat and tears to get him there, and we (Allan and I) managed to sort his problems out in the last 2 years. Before that he was in different hands and used as a "street racer" so he needed a LOTY of nip and tuck to make him "bush worthy".

Another thing about conversions... It always costs at least 50% more than what you originally budgeted for. That does not include your blood-pressure medication, or your shrink's consulting fees. Medical aid does not cover the stress and frustration and hair dye required to look and stay sane during the process. Once again it is the patience thing. Having lived through 2 of these monsters and reaping the sweet rewards afterwards, I can say the following, When it was good, it was good, when it was bad, it was bad but all in all it taught me patience, it taught me self constraint and I most of all I learned that Toyota SA in the 80's/90's never wanted us bakkie-loving folks of this sunny country to experience the full capability of the brilliantly thought out SFA Hilux to its full extent. Why they did this is beyond me as stronger motors were available (in Hilux'es) all over the world, but us folks had to make do with underpowered 4Y's and 22R's. Give an SFA just a little more power and a whole new beast is released....

As I said Evert.. horses for courses.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
Fired as CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2018 FJ Cruiser - #stofgevreet
1984 Mercedes 126 Black Widow Vernon Koekemoer Edition
email: thysdj@gmail.com

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
swifty
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Sutherland
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 SC

Post by swifty »

Give an SFA just a little more power and a whole new beast is released....
Therefore I believe that the SAS route on the 2.7 makes more sense. :twisted: You get a SFA without any problems (growing pains and niggles) with enough power. On the dyno mine got 110kw with chip and Powerflo exhaust. :mrgreen:
2003 HILUX 2.7i SRX S/C; Solid front axle conversion with Cruiser coil springs, 4.88:1 diff ratios, Iron Man rear suspension with extended greasable shackles, Gearmax diff lock, 150 liter feul tank, NudgeM bumper with recovery shackles, BF Goodridge Baja 33x10.5x15 tyres
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Granted Mr Swift, but you're still approx 30kW (almost half a 4Y) short on power... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thys de Jager

Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

King Rat wrote:...Selfs met fuel injection kry jy maar 75kw van n 4Y en dit gaan jou kos?...
Come on... a decently tweaked 4Y EFi is capable of over 90Kw!

B :D
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

snipes wrote:Come on... a decently tweaked 4Y EFi is capable of over 90Kw!
In which case I'll have to rephrase Mr Swift... You are still one third of a 4Y short on power.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

King Rat
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by King Rat »

snipes wrote:
King Rat wrote:...Selfs met fuel injection kry jy maar 75kw van n 4Y en dit gaan jou kos?...
Come on... a decently tweaked 4Y EFi is capable of over 90Kw!

B :D
Whoopie, a Frod V6 pushes out 110kw standard...
Datsun GX Coupe 1200
99 Subaru Legacy GT
07 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6

swifty
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Sutherland
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 SC

Post by swifty »

Granted Mr Swift, but you're still approx 30kW (almost half a 4Y) short on power...
Granted Mr Kaspaas, but I am 35kw (more than almost half a 4y) up on the 2.2 power......... :mrgreen:
2003 HILUX 2.7i SRX S/C; Solid front axle conversion with Cruiser coil springs, 4.88:1 diff ratios, Iron Man rear suspension with extended greasable shackles, Gearmax diff lock, 150 liter feul tank, NudgeM bumper with recovery shackles, BF Goodridge Baja 33x10.5x15 tyres
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

swifty wrote:
Granted Mr Swift, but you're still approx 30kW (almost half a 4Y) short on power...
Granted Mr Kaspaas, but I am 35kw (more than almost half a 4y) up on the 2.2 power......... :mrgreen:
Glad to see you are a "the glass is always half full" type guy Mr Swift... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager

Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

If you've owned or at least driven Hilux's with 4y's, V6's, 7m's, V8's etc. you know what you want and why you want it.

If your opinion is based on a few std. vehicles and you are happy with it, you are one of billions that doesn't need an adrenalin rush and driving there needs to be as exciting as marking something off a to do list, good for you!

REAL HILUX'S ARE BUILT, NOT BOUGHT.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "

Return to “1979 to early 1998 Hilux (Gen 3&4 aka SFA 4x4)”