Bulbs for head lights?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Jaco Versfeld
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Western Cape
Vehicle: Moms Taxi, 2001 Prado (The Barbie Cruiser)) Sold - Mufasa: '86 Hilux DC 4Y EFI
Club VHF Licence: X69

Bulbs for head lights?

Post by Jaco Versfeld »

Hi There,

The Hilux's headlights is not that bright anymore. Which bulbs works best, and where can I find them?

(Will it help to use braso to clean the inside of the headlight's glass...)

Kind Regards,
Jaco
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Re: Bulbs for head lights?

Post by george »

Hi Jaco

There where some lights discusses on this topic.Hope this help
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6076&view=next
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Osram Nighbreaker is best :)

I am busy building myself a harness with relays etc to power my headlights from the battery. I have done a test run on the one headlight and my guess is that it increase light by about 20% - 40% :shock:
To God be the glory
3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2004 Legend 35 Hilux 2.7 DC 4x4

Post by 3RZ »

Osram Nightbreakers or Silverstars

Cassie ek dink jy het dalk iets beet met die harnas, ek het nog altyd gedink die drade lyk bietjie dun. Kyk bietjie na die silicon drade wat die sparkies gebruik om die stowe ens te bedraad - maklik om mee te werk, lekker dik, soldeer maklik en baie flexable (die kern het 'n klomp dun draadjies nie soos die gewone kabels vir die plugs nie)

Meet die spanning op die battery and dan die spanning oor die gloeilamp om te sien wat die spanningsverlies is oor die draad.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

CasKru wrote:Osram Nighbreaker is best :)

I am busy building myself a harness with relays etc to power my headlights from the battery. I have done a test run on the one headlight and my guess is that it increase light by about 20% - 40% :shock:
Cassie, I have been thinking along the same lines. Please build TWO of them, I will supply the red/black (either 2.5mm or 4mm, your choice). My idea was to make it "Plug 'n Play", apparently Midas sells the necessary plugs.

FYI: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech ... elays.html

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Jaco Versfeld wrote:Hi There,

The Hilux's headlights is not that bright anymore. Which bulbs works best, and where can I find them?

(Will it help to use braso to clean the inside of the headlight's glass...)

Kind Regards,
Jaco

Jaco

Is it not rather a case of coroded/sand scored headlight lenses :?: :?:

That was the case with mine so I replaced them with Clear H4 lenses, approx. R300 a pair. :P

I re-used the old bulbs and the headlights are plenty plenty bright now. :thumbup:

One serious benefit of the clear H4 units is that the beam is more accurately concentrated and you do not get the annoying "leakage" which reflects off the bull bars etc :o: :wink:
Attachments
P4182826-H4 Clear Lenses.jpg
Last edited by Dadz Toy BFI on Wed May 13, 2009 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Rich! Lenses definitely make a difference and even more so do the reflectors, in concentrating the beams with as little light spillage as possible. Both must be clean and the reflector bright (not discoloured).

However, the actual voltage getting to the lamps with the factory harnass is a bit less than it would be directly off the battery, and this voltage drop makes a big difference to the lamp achieving it's rated output.
Last edited by Mud Dog on Wed May 13, 2009 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

... as you can see from that url I posted. A voltage drop of 1.5v makes an immense difference to the headlight illumination.

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

We did a full re-wire when we fitted the EFi :thumbup:

My headlights are wired with 3mm auto wire with a dedicated relay for side lights, low beam and high beam :P

They are lekker bright nou :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

They are lekker bright nou
Just don't fit the "Night Breaker" bulbs now, or you'll be burning up the tarmac (and maybe a few retinas) :mrgreen:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Family_Dog wrote:
CasKru wrote:Osram Nighbreaker is best :)

Cassie, I have been thinking along the same lines. Please build TWO of them, I will supply the red/black (either 2.5mm or 4mm, your choice). My idea was to make it "Plug 'n Play", apparently Midas sells the necessary plugs.

FYI: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech ... elays.html

-F_D
Eric... I ordered some H4 male plugs from the states. My idea is basically a plug and play system. All you will need to do is bolt the "little black box" onto the body. This will have a fly lead that has the H4 male plug. It will also have another two fly leads with H4 female connectors and two lekka thick wires to be connected to the battery terminals.

So all you will have to do is, disconnect the current plugs from the bulbs, plug one of these onto the H4 male and then plug the two H4 females onto the globes. The only spanners necessary would be to connect the positive and negative wires to the battery and to mount the "little black box". Oja... and it will have an additional output already wired, where you can connect one set of spots and another output which will be able to switch relays should you want to connect more than on set of spots. :)
To God be the glory
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Sounds like a plan, Cassie :thumbup:

Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Cassie, that is the idea I have been tossing around as well - strange how great minds think alike! :mrgreen:

Have you already ordered the H4 male connectors? I should have spoken about this earlier. Actually, I did, but verbally to Gertc. But this is the way to go, simple and quick DIY jobbie.

-F_D

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

That's the way I would have done it. A lot of guys fit the relays for direct live to the lights from the battery but forget about the thinner old earth (negative) connection. That would improve the brightness, but not to full potential. The H4 plugs eliminate the need for soldering.

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Family_Dog wrote:Cassie, that is the idea I have been tossing around as well - strange how great minds think alike! :mrgreen:

Have you already ordered the H4 male connectors? I should have spoken about this earlier. Actually, I did, but verbally to Gertc. But this is the way to go, simple and quick DIY jobbie.

-F_D
Yup... have the connectors already. I did order one or two extra though
To God be the glory
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

CasKru wrote:
Family_Dog wrote:Cassie, that is the idea I have been tossing around as well - strange how great minds think alike! :mrgreen:

-F_D
Yup... have the connectors already. I did order one or two extra though
Nou as jy genoeg ekstra bestel het, sit maar my naam ook op so harnas asseblief meneer kruger :D:
ImageImage
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

3RZ wrote:Osram Nightbreakers or Silverstars

Cassie ek dink jy het dalk iets beet met die harnas, ek het nog altyd gedink die drade lyk bietjie dun. Kyk bietjie na die silicon drade wat die sparkies gebruik om die stowe ens te bedraad - maklik om mee te werk, lekker dik, soldeer maklik en baie flexable (die kern het 'n klomp dun draadjies nie soos die gewone kabels vir die plugs nie)

Meet die spanning op die battery and dan die spanning oor die gloeilamp om te sien wat die spanningsverlies is oor die draad.
Willem

House wire in 'n Kar? :thumbdown: :thumbdown: Nee boet jy behoort van beter te weet. Vir low voltage high current het jy baie klein veseltjies nodig in jou draad, 2.5mm house wire gaan nie naastenby so goed werk soos 2.5mm auto wire nie. :o: :o: Koop eerder 2.5mm auto wire by die spareshop.

Ons het Rich se wa ook so gedoen toe ons hom geEFI het. Sommer VW plugs vir die globes gekoop by die scrapyard (hulle gebruik nie sulke flimsy dun draatjies soos Toyota nie) en die drade daaraan gesoldeer. Mens behoort oordentlike plugs by CALEX te kry. Dit maak 'n hengse verskil as jy genoeg stroom kan lewer aan die globes sonder voltage drop. Die feit dat Hiluxe se stroombaan deur die dim/bright switch loop help ook nie baie nie.
3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by 3RZ »

Nee man :lol: , ek sal seker vir jou 'n prentjie moet stuur. Jy sal hou van die draad, dit het baie dun draadjies, hitte maak dit niks, baie flexable, baie dik en klaar ge-tin.
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Ek ken dit maar die beste draad se are is dunner as die hare op jou ...ehm... bors
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Bennie, Silicon Stoof draad is net so goed, eintlik beter, as Auto-Wire! Min of meer dieselfde ding maar met Silicon Heat-Proof insulasie ipv plastiek.

-F_D

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

That's lekker stuff Eric, I use it often, nice and supple as well, never gets stiff .... aw geez! .... Now I've left the post open to mis-interpretation! :D:

3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by 3RZ »

We will let the picture tell the story (Bennie hulle is dunner as my borshare :twisted: )

4mm drill for scale.
WIRE.JPG
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Jong ek weet nie so mooi nie ek ken die goet waarvan julle praat, ek het nouriedag daarvan gekoop om my clorinator te fix maar sal nog steeds nie in automotive setup gebruik nie, maar ek net te vol nonsies.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

BenHur wrote:Jong ek weet nie so mooi nie ek ken die goet waarvan julle praat, ek het nouriedag daarvan gekoop om my clorinator te fix maar sal nog steeds nie in automotive setup gebruik nie, maar miskien is ek net te vol nonsies.
Wel... as ons na daai laaste foto van jou signature so kyk dan weet ons jy is! :wink:
To God be the glory
3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by 3RZ »

Bennie ek dink in jou geval sal iets soos Monster Cable die beste werk :twisted: LOL
Mcable.jpg
Mcable.jpg (8.17 KiB) Viewed 3496 times
http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=4605
• Monster’s Time Correct® windings for accurate music reproduction.
• Magnetic Flux Tube® construction for maximum bass response and more natural sound.
• LPE dielectric for greater overall clarity.
• Unique round shape and smooth, flexible jacket for easy installation.

Bennie ek dink nog steeds jou installasies is die beste wat ek nog gesien het - so moenie dat ons jou standaarde afbring nie ons is amateurs in vergelyking met jou :wink: (En dit is nou nie sarkasties bedoel nie)
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Willem

Nee wat dit is weer overkill (prys enol) vir headlights, Autozone of Midas se gewone 2-2.5 auto wire is vrylik beskikbaar in al die kleure van die Reenboog of ten minste die Nuwe SA vlag. EK het ook toe ek nog jonk en djeukkerig was monstercable gebruik vir my audio installasies, maar wonder net hoe die hitte onder die bonnet die isolasie van monster kable sal affekteer? Weet nie of dit ge design is om in sulke situasies te operate nie. Die omstandighede binne in jou voertuig se kajuit is mos nie so extreme nie :? Maar wie weet miskien is hul isolasie wel goed genoeg en sal dit nie oor tyd hard word en kraak nie.
leonbrink
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria East
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by leonbrink »

Ek het die conversion op my bakkkie gedoen:
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoHeadlightLoom.htm

Hel, dit maak 'n GROOT verskil! Die enigste ding waarmee ek gesukkel het was dat my IPF's nie reg wou switch nie. Op die einde van die dag moes ek 'n globe koppel op die ou harnas om die switching reg te laat werk. soos ek verstaan kort mens nogsteeds weerstand om die "negative switching" te laat werk.
Groete

Leon
Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

leonbrink wrote:Ek het die conversion op my bakkkie gedoen:
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoHeadlightLoom.htm

Hel, dit maak 'n GROOT verskil! Die enigste ding waarmee ek gesukkel het was dat my IPF's nie reg wou switch nie. Op die einde van die dag moes ek 'n globe koppel op die ou harnas om die switching reg te laat werk. soos ek verstaan kort mens nogsteeds weerstand om die "negative switching" te laat werk.
Nope gaan lees hier Leon

http://www.hilux4x4.co.za/wire_spotlights/index.php
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Tsumeb
Vehicle: 1991 Hilux2.2 ---1987 Hilux D/C Hella 1000, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Good Year M/TR, Warn Winch, STK bullbar, Extended shacles, Kenwood VHF-SOLD

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Cassie hoe ver is die black box van jou? Kan mens al bestellings insit??? Sien ek sit nou op die plaas heel ontspanne en lees baie ou topics wat ek gewoonlik nie kans kry voor nie.... het nou vir my ook nagbrekers gekoop, was op n special gewees, N$117
Is gebed jou spaarwiel of jou stuurwiel?
'Life is a coin. You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it ONCE'
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

Which H? bulb does the Vigo use?

Know what you don't know.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

hi-hilux wrote:Cassie hoe ver is die black box van jou? Kan mens al bestellings insit??? Sien ek sit nou op die plaas heel ontspanne en lees baie ou topics wat ek gewoonlik nie kans kry voor nie.... het nou vir my ook nagbrekers gekoop, was op n special gewees, N$117
Ek het daai projek bietjie geshelve omdat ek HID gaan insit. Maar oorweeg dit sterk om die projek ook te revive want ek het op 'n handy device af gekom wat die hele probleem met die Toyota se negative switching te hanteer en dat jy nogsteeds die brights liggie op die dash kan gebruik. Want huidiglik as mens die ligte direk kopel op die battery en die relays dan wil die dashboard se blou liggie nie aankom nie. Ek weet julle dink julle het verstaan wat ek nou gesê het maar is julle seker julle het gehoor wat ek bedoel het? :twisted:
To God be the glory
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Tsumeb
Vehicle: 1991 Hilux2.2 ---1987 Hilux D/C Hella 1000, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Good Year M/TR, Warn Winch, STK bullbar, Extended shacles, Kenwood VHF-SOLD

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Cassie maak net wat jy wil, sorg net dat ons binnekort kan bestel asb. Oja, posgeld ingesluit
Is gebed jou spaarwiel of jou stuurwiel?
'Life is a coin. You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it ONCE'

Return to “The Workshop”