Vic falls to south luangwa np drive time

Planning a trip or you need information about trails in your area.
teepee
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Vic falls to south luangwa np drive time

Post by teepee »

hi all,

can anyone help me with an estimate of the drivetime from livingston/vic falls to south luangwa np?

thanks!
freeflyd
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 89 2.2 Hilux DC

Re: Vic falls to south luangwa np drive time

Post by freeflyd »

Hi There,

I have not driven this, but have planned it using all the info I could gather...

I can tell you that it is not a one day drive. I was planning to stay over past Lusaka at a place called "Zulu Kraal" which I recon would be 10 hours drive from Livingstone...

From there to the park is another 5 to 6 hours depending on the road conditions.

If you go onto the http://www.4x4community.co.za site and look at overland reports on Zambia, there is a site that is very helpful.
Mountain Man
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: South Africa
Vehicle: Land Cruiser 79 Series 4.5 EFi

Post by Mountain Man »

Livingstone to Lusaka is just over 5 hours, Lusaka to Chipata is 6-7 hours, depending on the road, they were in the process of retaring the road. But Chipata to Mfuwe which is the last town just outside the park can take 3-4 hours depending on the season as the road is very bad and only slow speeds can be achived. Having said that I have been the on many occasions and when the road is good one can shorten the length of time a lot.
Just because it says "4WD" doesn't make it an off-road vehicle.
Kesheshe
Town: pretoria
Vehicle: 2003 hilux kzte 4x4

Post by Kesheshe »

Hi

There will be a couple of hours difference between Vic Falls and Liv as you will have to cross borders into Zambia if vic falls.

I am going to be doing the same drive in September and my planning has confirmed previous comments. Road out of Liv i have been told is still very bad for 80km's. At best this is a 2 day drive but more than likely 3 day as drive from Lusaka to SLNP as already stated is in the region of 10 hours and a hard drive.

Just for info i am planning to stop in Lusaka at pioneer camp and then in Chipata at Mama Rula.

Rough distance to Lusaka 560km from there to Chipata 570km then the last 115km to park. Previous comment of allowing 3-4 hours for 115km is a good estimate.

Vehicle details: OME suspension kit 400kg, 150lt long rank tank, 70lt water tank, roof rack, roof top tent, recovery + high lift jack points front and back, duel battery, snorkel, drawer system, portable winch, sand tracks, BFG tyres, NL 70lt, awning

If you haven't fixed it with duct tape you didn't use enough!
lukestrugnell
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: JHB
Vehicle: Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: M18

Post by lukestrugnell »

From our trip end of last year:

From Livingstone to Lusaka-give yourself a whole day (road was terrible avg speed prob 50km/hr) Worst road I have ever driven!
From Lusaka to SLNP- 2 days drive. Camp half way to save your sanity!

Expect very corrupt cops and very big potholes!

Dont forget white stickers on front of car and red on back or you WILL get a fine!

Luke

Return to “Places to go”