Transkei Holiday

Planning a trip or you need information about trails in your area.
CharlesC
Town: Grabouw
Vehicle: Hilux 2700

Transkei Holiday

Post by CharlesC »

Hope you can help, We are planning a trip to Transkei in the June holidays. We will be two families with young kids. We are both driving Hilux's. We have booked at Dwesa,Double Mouth and Haga Haga. On searching for a campsite further north i came across a posting with these two sites - Luphatana and Mkhambathi do anybody have information as it seems to be exactly what we are looking for.
(At coffee bay we are camping at Mapuzi Mouth)
Hilux 2.7 2000
Warn 8000 winch
Supercharger
Buff
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: D-4D Hilux Raider 4x4

Re: Transkei Holiday

Post by Buff »

Augh, the beautiful unspoilt Transkei :thumbup: I've just got back from a weeks fishing holiday there, stayed in a little seaside shack near Trenneries.
Just beware the ticks, I think I've picked up tickbite fever :thumbdown:
My ass is sitting behind a desk but my mind's standing next to the ocean with a fishing rod in my hand :P
Hilux 2.7 Raider D/Cab 4x4
Bernie
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Krugersdorp
Vehicle: 2004, Legend 35

Post by Bernie »

Charles

Hole in the Wall, Coffee Bay, Umtata river mouth, (Anchorage Hotel, Camp site), Mboyti....a thousand great places...
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome to the forum Charles.
All the places you mentioned as well as those mentioned after are all "lekker" places.
Must go now in a hurry .... will post further on return ...
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Luphatana and Mkhambathi do anybody have information as it seems to be exactly what we are looking for.
Both nice places charles, but I think Mkhambathi is nicer, although Luphatana is very scenic and if you go there, take a short hop along the beach down (i.e. South) to Waterfall Bluff for a morning outing with a picnic lunch.

I assume you're going to work your way up from the South. From Haga Haga on to Double Mouth (both still E/Cape). While you're there, visit Morgan's Bay, a quaint little seaside village, and a little further up, Kei Mouth. Here you can take the pont across the river and go to Seagulls (just a little up from the mouth) for a lunch or seafood dinner (enquire first, they don't do it every day). When you go on to Dwesa, you'd be better off getting back onto the N2 (although I've done just about that whole coastline in my Lux). At coffee bay you will obviously pop on to Hole in The Wall, very scenic.

Just a thought, if you have Google Earth, check it all out from there. Look for Port Grosvenor and you will find Mkhambathi and Luphatana (both close by) North and South of it respectively.
I'd better stop here or else this will turn into a (pre)trip report. :D:

There's no doubt you will enjoy it all immensely. If you need to ask about anything more, you can PM or e-mail me, I'd be glad to help where I can. :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “Places to go”