Lesotho - any advice

Planning a trip or you need information about trails in your area.
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Lesotho - any advice

Post by JohanM »

I am planning a 4 day trip into Lesotho during April over one of the weekends. We will be travelling with the Hilux and the Fortuner and 4 of us going. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I would like to know if anybody has been there and know of good camping places ect. :roll: We are planning to drive in one day to the sani pass and sleep ontop there overnight. The next day we are to travel via Mokhotlong to Katse dam and then maybe backtrack to Shelabathebe national park and via Naudes neck home. One thing that I would like to know is has any body driven from Thaba tseka to Maseru on the passes road, as we are contemplating to try and Visit the Malenjunestye Fall , which is the highest single drop waterfall in Southern Africa. The only problem is that it is quite a detour to make, about 250 km....

So now I would like to know, who has been there and if anybody was maybe some good waypoints ect that I can use to plan this,as I need to get the approval next weekend from the family that is joining me.

If you would like to join in on the trip you are also welcome. I will be able to confirm dates later this week.
Johan Marais
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2018 FJ Cruiser
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Re: Lesotho - any advice

Post by ThysdJ »

I am also interested in this information, especially the part from Sani Pass to Katse Dam, and from there into the Eastern Free State. I want to do this in July, if possible. Lekker koud.. :shock: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
Fired as CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2018 FJ Cruiser - #stofgevreet
1984 Mercedes 126 Black Widow Vernon Koekemoer Edition
email: thysdj@gmail.com

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Martin K
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7i SC

Post by Martin K »

I have done most of these roads and did the Mokhotlong to Sehlabathebe in December. Molumong guest house has camping and rustic accommodation. I will dig out the GPS points later today. Katse is not my favorite but I guess worth a visit. The falls are fantastic but it is a long detour. On the plus side the drive is out of this world. Most guest houses offer a camping option. The camp site in Sehlabathebe is wonderful. The road from Mokhotlong side to Sehlabathebe is a bit hairy in places and can be very negatively affected by weather. Matabeng pass on this road is pretty notorious.

Mud tyres can be a good idea. Watch out for stone throwing. It does happen but not often. I have had stones thrown at my vehicle twice in about a dozen trips. I would recommend T4Africa Lesotho maps and obviously I recommend a good GPS. I think you may be a bit ambitious to fit all this in 4 days. It takes 6 or 7 hours from Mokhotlong to Sehlabathebe alone. After Sehonghong there are a few tricky sections that in the mud are very slippery and extremely steep with big drop offs. If the weather stays dry it will be a breeze.

Any way else I can help feel free to ask
A story with a happy ending is a story that hasn't ended yet
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by JohanM »

Martin, Thanks a lot for the input!!!! I will be looking at a few options tonight as I have been spending a lot of time today on google for places ect to camp. The 3 things that we would like to do is , 1 the Sani, 2 the Sehlabathebe and if time permits the falls, otherwise I have will exit at matatiele area and drive via naudesneck back as that is managebale in one day from that side off the world.......

I like the idea off Mud and mountain passes, I have an urge to come back with a different colour looking Hilux... :wink: :thumbup: :thumbup: ........Hopefully full of mud and smiles........ :D:
Johan Marais
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by JohanM »

THe planned trip is to happen on the 10 - 13 April Weekend. The route that we are following is from Parys to Harrismith, then via the Rural back roads to Sani pass. From there we are heading for Sehlabathebe national park. From there we are heading east to Serofong and Via Naude's Neck back Home.

We will be travelling with the Fortuner and the SFA 2.2 leading the way. :thumbup: :thumbup: We are going to be camping along the way and hope to see some snow capped tops, and enjoy the slippery country side and muddy mountain roads.

Who would like to join us on the trip??? :think: :think:
Johan Marais
Tweetjie
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Knysna
Vehicle: Original 1989 Hilux D/C 2.2l Petrol

Post by Tweetjie »

I've just done a trip into Lesotho and can offer the following info which may help you:
I went in a 2.2l petrol SFA and my average speed over 1000km was 30km/hr. Tar roads are great but steep and you have to go slow or you will cook your brakes on the down hill. Dirt roads are pretty shocking (slow). Dont bank on more than 150-200km/day (allow for punctures-two spares min). Moletsanyane Falls: definitely worth it but you must plan two nights at Ramabanta Lodge (great camping - google it) run by South Africans. Its about 2-3hrs from the lodge (a days outing). The A3 from Maseru to Mokhotlong: Tar from Maseru to Marakabei (nice but steep)...Mohale Dam is well worth a visit. Marakabei to Mokhotlong dirt - pretty bad. From there to sani is dirt and pretty bad. We could not find any camping along this stretch ...we eventualy stayed at a neat, clean little hotel at Tsaba-Tseka (Buffalos Lodge- on the eastern fringe of town). Sani top chalets or camping is very exposed in bad weather. TAKE LOTS OF FUEL....I had four Jerry cans and used them all (No commercial fuel anywhere along this road....you can buy blackmarket fuel but its a mission and dicey. Had no issues with stoning, in fact locals were pretty cool. The good thing about lesotho is its Hilux Country - very popular with the locals for obvious reasons (lots of spares). GOOD LUCK! :thumbup:
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by JohanM »

Thanks for the tips, as this certainly do put the light on for me regarding what to pack and what to not take along.

We are looking for a breakaway and see some new places.

I was planning on taking 3 cans but will take 4 for the hilux and two for the diesel Fortuner.
Johan Marais
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: 3.0L Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: Xray05

Post by Gertc »

:sick: The little green guy standing along side the road crying! That would be me. :sick:

Enjoy your Trip.
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by JohanM »

Gert,

Ek gaan die naweek die hele voorlegging doen aan die ouers, sodat ons kan finaliseer, en dan is dit amper pak tyd.

Ek wil al lankal gaan en kry nooit tyd nie of daar is nie genoeg "tyd" om me te betaal nie..... :wink: :wink:

Dus die wat ek nou besluit het dat dit moet gebeur.

Kom ry saam, dit gaan so 1800 Km trip wees van parys af. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Johan Marais
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

Dankie ek sou bitter graag wou saam gaan maar my vrou is teen daai tyd 7.5 maande swanger en daai geskud sal nie goed af gaan nie. Was dit n jaar later dan het ek links voor gesit.

Gaan kyk julle maar waar is al die mooi plekke sodat ons volgende jaar weet waar heen om tegaan.

Geniet dit dit klink baie nice.
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by JohanM »

Dit is reg so Gert,

Ek sal gaan kyk en volgende jaar dan ry ons as dit gesneeu het. Dink net hoe lekker pret gaan ons dan he, sal teen daai tyd hopelik genoeg geld vir kettings en 'n winch ook he..... :think:

Ek kan nie wag nie, ek gaan selfs in die tussen tyd begin om kaste te bou waaring alles pas sodat niks kan ronskuif nie.... :thumbup: :thumbup:

Ek sal wel as ek terug is van die trip af 'n mooi verslag doen van alles.
Johan Marais
Gertc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Gertc »

Winch ? mmm winch word mos net gebruik om ander voertuie uit die moeilikheid tehelp. of vir LR's om hulself van lamp paal tot lamp paal tetrek. :lol:

nee dis reg sal definitief reg wees vi di sneeu ding. sneeu ry in Lesotho is een van die dinge op my to do list.

neem maar genoeg foto's altyd lekker om tesien waar jy was.
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by JohanM »

Gert, ek sal baie neem en maar 'n mooi storie moet skryf. Dan kan ons volgende jaar dit vergelyk as dit gesneeu het..... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Johan Marais

Return to “Places to go”