Driving style

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Dadz Toy BFI

Re: Driving style

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

3RZ wrote:Rich I thought I could bring you one when I fly to Cape Town tomorrow but it seems the shops in Gauteng are also out of stock, I phoned about 10 Midas brances - no luck. It seems as if all of them are waiting for stock. You could alway buy it on e-bay, delivery time is quite good. I bought an oil filter adapter on e-bay and it took 9 days to deliver.
Thanks for the thought Willem, much appreciated :P :P

Looks like I'm gonna have to watch (and learn) from Bennie "lite foot" Hurter :P

If anyone stumbles across one, I'll gladly re-imburse them + postage and packaging + costs :P

There is now an Official Shortage of Vacuum Guages in RSA :cry: :cry:

Rich

Rich
3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2004 Legend 35 Hilux 2.7 DC 4x4

Post by 3RZ »

Rich I can get something like in the picture below from Autogauge for R190 with a white face but I prefer the Equus like I have installed ?
Trisco Vacuum.jpg
Trisco Vacuum.jpg (6.89 KiB) Viewed 2468 times
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

I'm having "one last sortie" this afternoon as a Equus was spotted in Kenilworth last week. :roll:

If that doesn't come to fruition, can I call on your services please :wink:

If that's a Pink Display - better bring it anyway, it'll be snapped up by Vaarkie :P

Thanks heaps :!: :!: :wink:

Rich
Maverick
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Riala
Vehicle: porsche 944

Post by Maverick »

An incredible bump, I know, sorry! :oops:

I just bought one of these;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0120310911

but does someone have a good picture on where to fit the hose on a 2.4 22R, injected off course.
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Maverick wrote:An incredible bump, I know, sorry! :oops:

I just bought one of these;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0120310911

but does someone have a good picture on where to fit the hose on a 2.4 22R, injected off course.
That's a very smart guage you got yourself :thumbup: :thumbup:

On page2 of this thread Willem (3RZ) posted a nice pic of the one on his motor :shock:

I made a mount for mine and I must say that I use it a lot and it taught me a thing or too about driving economically :P
Attachments
Guages at Idle1.jpg
Console Control Guages.jpg
kraken
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2004 KZTE DC 4x4 Legend

Post by kraken »

Looking at those gauges got me wondering if any of you guys use an oil temperature gauge. The reason why I ask is I remember my late grandfather used to maintain and work on his cars and regarded this as an essential item.
This arose from his experience in the armoured corps during WW2. He commanded a Sherman tank which was fitted with a high performance Allison aero engine. Why the Allies did this can only be guessed at as the Sherman was notorious for catching alight when hit hence the reason why they were nicknamed Ronson's after the lighter which was known to light first time. Panzer crews just called them Tommy cookers.......
Anyway, he always maintained that the oil temperature was one of the most important ways to judge the health of their engines. After all, the last thing you want happening is a breakdown in a herd of Tigers! And, needless to say, he was one of the lucky ones to return home.
Does this theory make sense with regard to our more modern engines or would it be a case of overkill?
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Hi Andrew

That's a really interesting bit of trivia, thanks for that :thumbup:

Funnily enough I'm being considering an Oil Temp Guage (replacing the voltmeter to the left of the Vacuum Gauge) and installing the Voltmeter with an Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge on another panel

I've also met mechanics that swear that an Oil Temp Gauge is an essential bit of kit :shock:

Let's see what the other guys have to say :wink:
Attachments
An Oil Temp Only Gauge
An Oil Temp Only Gauge
Oil Temp Guage.jpg (25.58 KiB) Viewed 2327 times
An Air/Fuel Ratio Only Gauge
An Air/Fuel Ratio Only Gauge
Air-Fuel Ratio Gauge.jpg (28.74 KiB) Viewed 2327 times
A Combi Volt and Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge
A Combi Volt and Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge
Combi Air Fuel Ratio and Volt Guage.jpg (24.19 KiB) Viewed 2327 times
Maverick
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Maverick »

Dadz Toy BFI wrote:Hi Andrew

That's a really interesting bit of trivia, thanks for that :thumbup:

Funnily enough I'm being considering an Oil Temp Guage (replacing the voltmeter to the left of the Vacuum Gauge) and installing the Voltmeter with an Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge on another panel

I've also met mechanics that swear that an Oil Temp Gauge is an essential bit of kit :shock:

Let's see what the other guys have to say :wink:
I quicktip!

When I bought my tim gauge above I accepted that tim isn't the most accurate. And therefor I bought a autometer gauge too ( http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetai ... 256&sid=12 ) which is more expensive then the tim.

To topic, the ones you showed on the pictures is autometers autogauge series which isn't the best in accuracy (but they are ok I guess).
I would recommend their z series :wave:

EDIT; I see that you have autogauge in your car already? Are you satisfied?
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Maverick wrote: EDIT; I see that you have autogauge in your car already? Are you satisfied?

I was not happy to see that my Vacuum Gauge doesn't Zero :x But that I should have noticed when I bought it over the counter :roll: Otherwise it appears to react very rapidly as it should :D

The 'HP Hearty' Oil Pressure guage takes a while to normalise after startup but otherwise it also reacts rapidly to changes in motor speed :D

The Voltmeter appears to work very well :D

What's your thoughts on the Oil Pressure Gauge :?:
Maverick
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Maverick »

Dadz Toy BFI wrote:
Maverick wrote: EDIT; I see that you have autogauge in your car already? Are you satisfied?

I was not happy to see that my Vacuum Gauge doesn't Zero :x But that I should have noticed when I bought it over the counter :roll: Otherwise it appears to react very rapidly as it should :D

The 'HP Hearty' Oil Pressure guage takes a while to normalise after startup but otherwise it also reacts rapidly to changes in motor speed :D

The Voltmeter appears to work very well :D

What's your thoughts on the Oil Pressure Gauge :?:
On your oil gauge?
Cold oil and cold engine = high oilpressure.

On my sportscar it takes around 13 km before I get "normal" pressure in idle. Before that I don't rev the engine to hard.

What timeintervals are you talking about? 1min after startup, 5min, 10?
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Yeah about 10 mins, your cold oil + cold engine formula makes sense :wink:
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Post by Scorpion »

I also wanted to install an oil temperature gauge in my Hilex, but after speaking to Blom decided it's not really worth it. He had a simple answer to your question: "What is the normal oil temperature your engine should run at?" :think:
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
Maverick
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Maverick »

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/5275/dsc010944au4.jpg
I got my gauge today.
By it's price I'm surprised!

All accessories (gauge, tube, mountingbrackets, bolts, adapter for drilled mounting, t-cross and installation instructions.) for mounting was included, and inside the gauge was a bulb and a 12 supply, didn't think that this gauge had that!

Will test it this weekend and see if it's okay or not.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

I got meself a little gauge today. Unfortunately it is a gauge for a turbo but it connects to the vacuum pipe so hopefully it will give me some info.
What I find is that when it idles or no throttle it is at -0,8 to -1 .When I put pedal to the metal it goes to -0,2.I can not get it above that. Does this sound right?
My understanding is that I should aim to keep it more in the negative (for fuel economy). I must be honest but I will have to change my driving style. I was always under the impression that it got more to do with RPM than throttle position. I was just getting used to putting it into 5th gear and there I go.I will have to start changing gears again.
So you learn

PS-Can someone please tell me how to activate the “bar BOOST” Eish I press but no boost :o:
IMG_1787 (Medium).JPG
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I was always under the impression that it got more to do with RPM than throttle position.
George, I think it's a combo. I select the highest gear possible without straining the motor. That means I'm keeping the revs as low as what the motor is happy with .... not wide open throttle on low revs. however I've mentioned before that the 4y has good low end torque that I utilise to my avantage. A point to remember, for every revolution, a 4 cylinder 4-stroke motor is taking in two gulps of fuel/air mixture, so let's say your ambling along in 4th gear at 2000rpm up a slight incline with the throttle half open. Thats 4000 gulps of slightly richer fuel/air per minute. Now even though the motor is'nt really labouring, you decide that you're going to change down because your vac guage says there's not enough vacuum cos your throttle's too wide open. As you drop to Third gear the revs jump up to 2400 rpm and your vac guage is happy again. But your motor is now swallowing 4800 gulps of slightly leaner fuel/air per minute with a one third open throttle .... that's an increase of 800 gulps, i.e. an increase of 20% on your original 4000 gulps. It does'nt make sense to me that you would be using 20% more fuel between the leaner and richer mixture while you were in 5th gear with the throttle a bit wider open. I don't drive soley on revs, and although I occasionally glance at the rev-counter I drive by feel and sound of the motor. It must be working for me, since I get a better fuel economy than most 4y owners. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

george wrote:I got myself a little gauge today. Unfortunately it is a gauge for a turbo but it connects to the vacuum pipe so hopefully it will give me some info.
What I find is that when it idles or no throttle it is at -0,8 to -1 .When I put pedal to the metal it goes to -0,2.I can not get it above that. Does this sound right?
My understanding is that I should aim to keep it more in the negative (for fuel economy). I must be honest but I will have to change my driving style. I was always under the impression that it got more to do with RPM than throttle position. I was just getting used to putting it into 5th gear and there I go.I will have to start changing gears again.
So you learn

PS-Can someone please tell me how to activate the “bar BOOST” Eish I press but no boost :o:
IMG_1787 (Medium).JPG
Eeeish nice one George. :thumbup:

You'll be suprised how your mouter economy functions, sometimes it goes against common sense, ie. I never use 5th Gear in the town nou; it ends up being far less economical. :Geek:

Nou that I've got an AFR Guage too, it's real interesting to see how the two corellate. :think:

Although I'm not gonna advocate "watching your gauges the whole time" as you should be "looking at the road" enol

It sure teaches you a thing or too about your Mouter and consequence of different driving styles. :Geek:

I've swapped out my Volt Meter (left side gauge) for a Water Temp Gauge that was one of the smartest moves I made - the vehicles temp Gauge is vol of bollie manne :wink:
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

You'll be suprised how your mouter economy functions, sometimes it goes against common sense
I must say it feels like it.
Andy,I like your explanation.This weekend I am of to the Cederberg and I am going to test the gauge and see what the comsumption is.

What does the values on the gauge mean. e.g -0,-0.1.I notice on the other gauges there is diffrent values
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”