Pirate parts

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
lukestrugnell
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: JHB
Vehicle: Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: M18

Pirate parts

Post by lukestrugnell »

Can anyone advise when you should use toyota parts and when pirate parts will do?
For example it was suggested for oil seals use the real thing, which i did.
is there any rule of thumb that applies?
L
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: Pirate parts

Post by Family_Dog »

Good question, Luke.

I suppose when it comes to any safety items such as brake linings, then either original or well-known brands should be used.

Never use unknown brands of globes for headlights, these Eastern ones might be marked as 100W types, they are not. Infact, nowhere near to being 100w and are very poorly constructed. Here, stick to any well-known brand such as Osram Silver Star.

Someone posted about a pirate thermostat that broke off in his engine block, causing major expense. Best to stick to the genuine article here then too, maybe. They do differ, I have both types.

It is suggested to use good spark plugs as well, NGK comes to mind.

Finally, use good well-known filters, susch as GUD.

I'm sure there are other items as well, which others will bring up.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Post by SYRON CONVERSIONS »

Sometimes you will find that the genuine part is only a few rands more expensive than the pirate part, for example seals and bearings (not the type for the crank shaft).

Will respond again, going to my bed :o
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
leonbrink
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria East
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by leonbrink »

I'll never buy pirate engine mountings again. They dont last at all (or the ones I bought). The ones I installed only lasted about 4000km and then the rubber got soft.
My pirate wiper motor performs well though.
On thePirate topic, what clutch do you guys recommend :?:
Groete

Leon
Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4
Scooter
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

Agreed with Simon on the price, always check with stealers first.
I had a golf that liked to use clutches due to a slightly bent (not visible to the eye) pushrod, I replaced the clutch with a LUK and used the OE parts for the pushrod, seals and bush and it worked great until the cable gave up (common on the golf to wear through after rubbing on the firewall). So I decide to replace it with a pirate cable, Bad idea. The cable got stiff, so not even oil would help it, after about two months. I replaced it again with an OE cable that cost R20 more at the time and I sold the car with it a few months ago after being in for 4 years. Also I replaced the lifters with OE.

For general service poarts I use well known brands eg GUD, Fram, Ferrodo, ATE etc and I just replaced my water pump on the lux this weekend with a Tonii (R65 as apposed to R1100 OE) and all seems fine for now. as for the internals, seals, bearings, lifters, chains etc, I always have a look at stealers first and guage wether a cheaper price is worth it.

It only takes one time for you to learn a lesson about buying pirate for certain things and if you can learn from someone elses mistakes even better. Sometimes though it is by trial and error and sometimes it is a hard learnt lesson.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
SYRON CONVERSIONS

Sachs clutches
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan
glevey
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by glevey »

Just don't buy front disc brake calipers (complete) from the stealers. I was quoted R 4 300.00 each from more than 1 stealer. Decided to get from Gemini Parts at R 940.00 each.

Cheers

Geoff
Geoff Levey
PC Panic cc
ZS6GRL (WAZS)
Vice Chairman - West Rand Amateur Radio Club (ZS6WR)
GP 0717 - Professional 4X4 Overland & Tourist Guide
Honorary Officer North West Parks & Tourism Board
SYRON CONVERSIONS

When buying Pirate Parts and genuin, you have to use your common sense, compare the prices and then decide what is the best option for your application.

Or ask us guys here first :wink:

simoan
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Just don't buy the cheap pirate parts. In most cases GUD supplies the manufacturers with filters. The filters then get sold at twice the price because it is "original" parts. Or ATE supply the brake pads, painted with the manufacturer logo on and it gets sold as "original" parts.

If you go with GUD filters, ATE or Ferredo brake pads, Payen gasket sets, Suchs clutch kits, etc then you will be just as good off or some times better off buying pirate than original. Always ask the guy at the spares shop what is a good make in the pirate range. It happened a couple of times that the guy in the spare shop told me "don't take that water pump, we get come backs on them, take this one for R20.00 more" Just ask before you buy and it might be just as safe to buy pirate.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots

Return to “The Workshop”