KZ-TE Power Problem Fixed..........

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
HennieJ2
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: Hilux D/C D4D 4x4, Hilux KZ-TE D/c 4x4

KZ-TE Power Problem Fixed..........

Post by HennieJ2 »

:lol: Hi All, I had my 2002 Hilux KZ-TE 4x4 on the classifieds for quite a while. The reason: it is a bit frustrating to drive and lacks some power. Today I went to Pretoria to test-drive a similar bakkie (2003) and that is alledgedly in a "very good" condition. I must admit, my old donkey is all of a sudden a racehorse. I now realise, I am comparing him with the other bakkie (D4D) and it is not fair. I would like to do some things to improve the KZ't engine and was wondering, if anybody has tried the Cirrus intercooolers yet. Also what advise do you have to improve the KZ's performance and fuel consumption? SAC's conversion will definitely be an over capitilsation and out of the question. Regards Hennie :roll: :mrgreen:
Last edited by HennieJ2 on Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hilux D/C D4D 4x4 ; Hilux 2700i S/C 4x4
ecotech
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: cape town
Vehicle: volkswagen tdi

Re: KZ-TE Power Improvement - Any Quick Fixes?

Post by ecotech »

there are no quick fixes for lazy kzte lux`s. i have one and the only fix is a big for sale sign in january or a visit to monument toyota to replace it with more then likely with a D4D. so my saying is live with it or flog it
loop maar met my voete!!!!!!!!!!
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

How "quick" a fix are you looking for :?:

Heard that a Ford V6 transplant is "quick, quick and ultimately quicker" :o: :P :wink:
HennieJ2

Post by HennieJ2 »

I wouldn't refer to myself as an absolute purist, but have heard too much about problems with Ford conversions - overheating, clutch and also transmission problems, etc. Also, if the vehicle is of no value, maybe yes, as conversions with other brand engines normally reduce your vehicle's value. As much as I don't like the sticker on the back of the SsangYong's - POWERED BY MERCEDES - as much would I dislike a sticker at the back of my Toyota - Powered by Ford / Mazda, etc. I'd rather then plan my overtaking exercises. I will let you guys know if the Cirrus intercooler helped.
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

HennieJ2 wrote:I wouldn't refer to myself as an absolute purist, but have heard too much about problems with Ford conversions - overheating, clutch and also transmission problems, etc. Also, if the vehicle is of no value, maybe yes, as conversions with other brand engines normally reduce your vehicle's value. As much as I don't like the sticker on the back of the SsangYong's - POWERED BY MERCEDES - as much would I dislike a sticker at the back of my Toyota - Powered by Ford / Mazda, etc. I'd rather then plan my overtaking exercises. I will let you guys know if the Cirrus intercooler helped.
A Man after my own heart :D: :wink:
JaMMeX
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2002 Toyota Hilux KZTE D/C 4x4 Raider

Post by JaMMeX »

What about chipping? Obviously only once you have done the intercooler upgrade, but we have done a few and they go really well, I am considering chipping mine!
2002 Toyota Hilux KZTE D/C 4x4 Raider
Dastek Unichip - ARB bullbar - WARN winch - SAC intercooler - Long range tank - Maxxis MT tyres - Lenso alloy mags

4x4mods.co.za | Carmods.co.za | Ferroli Performance Centre
ecotech
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by ecotech »

i can honoustly say i have the most underpowered kzte of everyone on the site. i have considered selling hitler but no chance for that anymore. i love my hilux and going to keep it and slowly but surely work from 1 to the next to get the power i need.

1st on my list is a d4d scoop for more cooling as my engine bay gets extremely hot. so hot that if you park at the shop and you touch the bonnet it litteraly burns your hand
2nd on my list is a intercooler. now i am deciding were to fit. in the nose of the lux or on top of the motor like the d4d`s but not to sure as yet.
3rd on my list is a turbo upgrade. i am going to rip of the td03 turbo and replace with a trubonetics t3 hybrid. ok i hace to change the manifold and the exhaust but so be it
4th on my list is a power plug from dastek only as a last resort if all else fails....

will keep all informed
JaMMeX
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by JaMMeX »

I think you going about it the right way, Im very happy with the power of my Lux, im running the SAC intercooler, not that I want to brag about SAC cause I can stand them, but the next thing for me is the DASTEK Chip, my Collegues are up in JOZI now on the DASTEK Training and will be back Friday! I will post up some Dynos, also guys, if you in cape town and want any upgrades PM me or check out www.ferroli.co.za

Bruce
Dastek Unichip - ARB bullbar - WARN winch - SAC intercooler - Long range tank - Maxxis MT tyres - Lenso alloy mags

lee
Town: guildford
Vehicle: 89 hilux

Post by lee »

i dont know the current SA specs but if a catalitic converter is fitted removing it and fitting a straight pipe usually releases some extra power especially if you fit a performance air filter (k&n's usually the best). you could also think about fitting a straight through exhaust silencer like a cherrybomb. i havent had a good look through this site (its alao in the uk) but there may be some usfull info http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/carvantuning.shtml
theres also nitros oxide which does work well :twisted:
hope this helps
lee :thumbup:
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

lee wrote:if you fit a performance air filter (k&n's usually the best). :
Geez Lee what you describe is a street racer's dream but not recommended when you play off-road in the South African dust. Those K&N fiters are only good to huge insects, birds, stones and small pedestrians out your motor everything else like dust sand etc simply passes through :twisted: :twisted:
lee
Town: guildford
Vehicle: 89 hilux

Post by lee »

i must confess i am an ex street racing muppet, but i saw the light :D

you could always fit an element type ramair equivilant there an oil 'soaked' foam based filter which would possibly work alittle better. you are correct i didnt take into account the dust factor...dont get much of that over here in rainy old blitey :? .
JaMMeX
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by JaMMeX »

Glad to see some fellow streat racers around hehe im not alone!

The only mods I would suggest for a KZTE is Intercooler , Chip and Exhaust...

If you really wanna go the hole hog... upgrade your turbo! But then you got to take into account the motor reliability as the KZTE is well known for cracking heads along side the Colt 2800 TDI

HennieJ2

Post by HennieJ2 »

1stly - Lee,

Welcome here and I am glad to see someone from up yonder reads our stuff. Thsi shows that we are living in a global village and it is good to have inputs from you. I have a uni-chip in my bakkie that is adjustable, but it does not do the trick. I will buy an intercooler (waiting for bonus) and then fit it and take for dyno to Chip Tuning SA in Jo'burg - they are the agents for my Denzo chip. Will let you guys know what difference it makes.
Attachments
IMG_0754.JPG
IMG_0754.JPG (21.87 KiB) Viewed 42016 times
ecotech
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by ecotech »

OK well this is were the thing starts getting interesting. I am not buying a intercooler of the shelf but rather making one. it will be made from a old Mercedes Benz 3236 horse`s radiator.... the of the shelf ones are to thin and from what i have seen doesn’t cool enough. that’s why I am stuck between the front of the Lux or the top as the d4d`s run.

As far as the turbo is concerned I have not decided yet but will more then likely look after a bit of consideration at the garret T2.5. its similar to the turbo found on the old UNO Turbo`s and the Nissan EXA`s and the old shape mr2 Toyota`s...

But like the other chap said......bonus time!!!!!!!
JaMMeX
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by JaMMeX »

Great to see a few options coming up!

I will be doing a STD Dyno on my Dyno No chip but intercooler...

Then a test between DASTEK and Another Chipping Solution!

Hope it will help a bit!

ecotech
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by ecotech »

Tell me where is your cooler on your Lux? Is it a SAC cooler? The reason why I ask is cause my friend also with a KZTE 4x2 has the SAC cooler fitted in the sump guard and 1stly it looks poefies and secondly I don’t want to tippy toe over obstacles or rocks and worry about a cooler.....

Thinking of the nose or the top of the motor but still deciding.... I am a bit worried about on top cause doing a trail were there is slow driving i am not going to get cool air in the cooler and on the other hand Darren, if its in the front is it going t block the cool air for the radiator and make my Hitler run hot?

6 of one and half a dozen of the other hey.....
JBurger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: ......
Vehicle: .....

Post by JBurger »

Hi guys,
I had a SAC and chip on 2 of my KZ’s, and sold the KZ for a very good price on a trade. It kept its value despite the mod, in fact, I got R135000 instead of the R110000 Toyota quoted as the trade value. I towed a caravan and found it to be very impressive. In convoy with other vehicles, you can really tell if your motor produces power or not as you take on the inclines. At the same time, the consumption was great.
In other words, the R14000 I spent on the SAC system and bringing it across to my second KZ (SAC did it for me), was the only money I spent and I think it was a good deal considering the resale I got. When you go offroad (not the dunes), power is not an issue, the mount under the nose is not a problem as that piece of cooling duct is made of seriously think metal (see my signature picture on the right) and I found it actually protected my brace (lowest point) between the front wheels. I took some very serious knocks in that area in Namibia and could not fins any dents after the fact. If you asked me, I would say a thousand times over, rather go for SAC, it was a once only expense for me, gave me very good power, helped me sell my car at a very good price and sell it without any reliability issues that you ARE SURE to get if you do a diy. You are driving a Toyota for that reason almost alone, reliability. Now you are looking into turning it into a Landrover/Jeep. Lots of performance, zero peace of mind.
Saying the dunes is the exception ito power needed, I found my KZ to be very capable. In 3L it was able to do all the dunes the petrol could do as long as I was allowed the space to accelerate. I don’t like playing in the sand with the diesel as it requires high power therefore high cylinder head temperatures, but still feel that the SAC conversion protected me in that department too as it is supposed to reduce the temperatures. Driving in deep sand in Namibia’s river beds and being loaded, I never saw the temperature needle move even though the tires were at low pressure and the aircon on constantly. I don’t know what else to say, but just this – don’t do it (diy I mean)!
Image ImageImage
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

lee wrote:i must confess i am an ex street racing muppet, but i saw the light :D

you could always fit an element type ramair equivilant there an oil 'soaked' foam based filter which would possibly work alittle better. you are correct i didnt take into account the dust factor...dont get much of that over here in rainy old blitey :? .
I have seen quite a few tests in which they showed that a original paper filter in a cyclonic type aircleaner provides the best protection for your engine.

Some of the guys on the farms that drive dust roads exclusively do use the oil type filters but you have to maintain them very regularly to keep them effective. I friend of mine did 2 week tour where they drove 2-300kms a day on dust roads in a convey and his filter had to be serviced every night.

Do yourself a favour and get fine filter cloth and place it in line of the air flow (where the air cleaner pipe connects to the throttle body) and see the difference you will get on them after about 1000kms on tar driving between the different filter types. You will get a fright.
ecotech
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by ecotech »

came accross this and wonder what the people out there think?

http://toyotadiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?p=27357
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Interesting.

Guys juest one word of warning. Diesels gets killed by high exhaust gas temperatures. If I were to ever drive a diesel again especially before tweaking it the 1st thing ill do is fit an EGT gauge.

Taking back pressure out the exhaust will improve performance and lessen turbo lag. Schalk played with the exhaust on the Maxima he has with the Nissan VG30T engine in, and on the dyno could measure the difference a non restrictive exhaust made.

Interesting water coolded intercooler
Rockspider
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Fortuner 4.0 V6 4x4, Toyota Rav 4
Club VHF Licence: V69

Post by Rockspider »

In the Rockspider's story I failed to tell you all that after I sold the red 2.7 Lux I bought a KZTE for its supposed better fuel consumption, better towing ability and of course that it would be new. WHAT A MISTAKE!!!!!!

I had the KZTE for all but 8 months and sold it out of frustration and bought the 4.0 V6 Fortuner. The KZ's fuel consumption wasnt all that great and it was a real donkey to drive. Granted, the 2.7 was at least 2-3l/100km heavier on juice and noisier due to higher revving, especially when towing. Coming up Doreen rd which is a very steep little pass,I had to go down to 1st when towng with the KZTE whereas the 2.7 was happy in 2nd albeit at maximum revs. I had an exhaust temp gauge in my KZTE and it would be screaming at me all the time as the temp would go up to 700 deg even just driving on the highway on long hills.

Needless to say, I am cured from diesels! If ever I get that feeling again about wanting a diesel for fuel and emission reaons, I will go and lie down untill the feeling passes. The Fortuner's fuel consumption is max 1l/100km heavier than the KZTE on the open road and a way better vehicle to drive. I am happy again!

I now have the 2,7 s/c which is in the process of being modified. My life is perfect now!

Soooo, to cut a long story short, SELL THE KZ AND GET A PETROL OR FIT THE LEXUS MOTOR! Problem solved.
JaMMeX
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by JaMMeX »

Rockspider wrote:In the Rockspider's story I failed to tell you all that after I sold the red 2.7 Lux I bought a KZTE for its supposed better fuel consumption, better towing ability and of course that it would be new. WHAT A MISTAKE!!!!!!

I had the KZTE for all but 8 months and sold it out of frustration and bought the 4.0 V6 Fortuner. The KZ's fuel consumption wasnt all that great and it was a real donkey to drive. Granted, the 2.7 was at least 2-3l/100km heavier on juice and noisier due to higher revving, especially when towing. Coming up Doreen rd which is a very steep little pass,I had to go down to 1st when towng with the KZTE whereas the 2.7 was happy in 2nd albeit at maximum revs. I had an exhaust temp gauge in my KZTE and it would be screaming at me all the time as the temp would go up to 700 deg even just driving on the highway on long hills.

Needless to say, I am cured from diesels! If ever I get that feeling again about wanting a diesel for fuel and emission reaons, I will go and lie down untill the feeling passes. The Fortuner's fuel consumption is max 1l/100km heavier than the KZTE on the open road and a way better vehicle to drive. I am happy again!

I now have the 2,7 s/c which is in the process of being modified. My life is perfect now!

Soooo, to cut a long story short, SELL THE KZ AND GET A PETROL OR FIT THE LEXUS MOTOR! Problem solved.
Wow, I just go back from a 700km trip in my KZTE up Long big hills, tricky roads, fully loaded and I had no issues. I had the Colt 3lt V6 before and the KZTE is FAAAAAR better on consumption! The Colt def had the grunt, but I am lank happy with my KZTE and a full trip report to come!

Sorry you had such a bad experience! but I am 1 very happy KZTE owner, after been a huge Petrol Head!

Rockspider
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Rockspider »

I have a couple of friends who would rather sell their wifes before getting rid of their Diesel vehicles. I guess each to himself. I like power en responsiveness and need to be in control of the power delivery, especially when playing. Very often making up an obtsacle is the timing on when and how much power you can put on the wheels. The diesel just doesnt give that to me.

I respect those who believe in their diesels and they do have a good point when it comes to the filling station, especially with the new common rail engines such as D4D which is a lot better on consumption than the KZTE's. But if anyone complains about power on their diesels, then I guess you have petrol in your blood, just like me. :thumbup:
ecotech
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by ecotech »

ah rock......

someone that can chat with me. that same doreen rd, if i floor the pedal all the way from hendrik potgieter with no traffic in front of me, i gather speed that is till i reach that slight climb before the turn. i then have to go all the way back to 2nd with peak rpm`s (3000 rpm) to make it up. if i dare go to 3rd, i might aswell free wheel all the way back and try again coz then i cant get up. not even from 1st gear.
Rockspider
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Rockspider »

The only reason I can think why JaMMeX is happy with the performance of his KZTE is because he is not used to really good performance :wink: or for the fact that he is at sea level. Myself and ecotech is at 1800 m above sea level. Perhaps that is the difference. Even when towing, my old 2,7 would have run circles around the KZTE.

If you like diesels, live with its negatives or move to petrol and pay the price at the filling station. If you want horses, you must feed them, full stop.

The moment you start fiddling with diesels, you are preparing yourself for desaster, exhaust temp (T4) goes up and eventually the head and or turbo goes. Ask a friend of mine who did a SAC modification on his new Isuzu (old pre common rail engine). The engine blew up still at very low mileage.
JaMMeX
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by JaMMeX »

[quote="Rockspider"]The only reason I can think why JaMMeX is happy with the performance of his KZTE is because he is not used to really good performance :wink: or for the fact that he is at sea level. Myself and ecotech is at 1800 m above sea level.......quote]

haha, I actually come from a Performance Car Background ;) but am really happy with my Hilux, 154 000km and still going strong! I believe you look after your ride, and in return she will look after you! Regular services, PROPER Performance Products and Correct Driving Methodes with Decent Cooling time for the Turbo you wont have any issues!

Each to their own! I am one happy Chappy!

P.S. The Hilux is not my only car.... ;)

HennieJ2

Post by HennieJ2 »

Sorted my KZ's lazyness- traded him on a baby Touareg (R5TDi 2.5). At least now something compares with the D4D. Must admit Rockspider - since I bought the D4D and were used to better performance, the KZ were just not the same good oil burner as what the previous 2 were. That red Lux you bought from Dave was a very good buy though.
Regards
Hennie
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Hennie jou Signature smaak my is outdated
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Post by ToyX4 »

Hennie, wys ons maar n foto of 2 van dit Volksie in aksie. Het hy low range, of het hy net n elektroniese "low range"?
ImageImage
ecotech
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by ecotech »

ok ek se julle wat. ek gaan my kop volg soos ek het met al my ander conversions en hulle het nog almal goed gewerk. ek sal nie veel verder se nie maar net wys en pic gee sodra ek klaar is. ek het my oog op n paar engines en sal maar kyk wat ek gaan doen maar wag en kyk....
hentey
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: worcester
Vehicle: 2700i 4x4

Post by hentey »

Het my les klaar geleer baie dankie. GEEN ( read my lips ) GEEN diesel op my werf ooit weer nie.Hier is wel nog een
waarvan ek nie kan ontslae raak nie (330 d BMW) Glo my hulle staan en breek.Kry vir jou petrol ding en groet jou probleme.O ja en moenie saam metn pel met ISUZU diesel gaan wild kyk nie, jy sal zults/niks/zero sien.O HEL da brand ek die vleis........
HennieJ2

Post by HennieJ2 »

:oops:
BenHur wrote:Hennie jou Signature smaak my is outdated
Ja Bennie, hy is so biki outdated. Ek bou nog moed op om weer by Eric aan te klop om daai signature te fix.
ToyX4 wrote:Hennie, wys ons maar n foto of 2 van dit Volksie in aksie. Het hy low range, of het hy net n elektroniese "low range"?

Sal so fotokie of 2 neem, maar onthou net, dis my "softy" hierdie. Die blou bakkie vat ons Bots toe en terug. Hy het wel low range en twee diflocks, een senter en die ander een op die agter as. Alles skop in met air en gelukkig het die ou wat hom voor my gehad het, te veel geld gehad. Die bus het dus nog so ewe ook die adjustable air suspension in - en dit vir die baby (bottom of the range) Touareg.

Alhoewel ek lank op die forum kuier, lyk dit nou vir my of ek my ordentelik sal moet "introduce" op die forum - daar by die Newcomers. Sal dan vir jy wys hoe 'windgat" die bus sy sterre kan lig om nie sy pens nat te maak nie en ook nederig kniel as ek vir ouma moet inlaai. :mrgreen:

Groete :wave:

Hennie
HennieJ2

Post by HennieJ2 »

Die blou bakkie se blou maaitjie.....
Attachments
Terrible Twins.JPG
ToyX4
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Ottosdal
Vehicle: Rocky's

Re: KZ-TE Power Problem Fixed..........

Post by ToyX4 »

Ek het altyd gedink die Touareg het nie low range nie.
Gawe Volksies daai.
ImageImage
jakeslouw
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Brits
Vehicle: Land Rover

Re: KZ-TE Power Problem Fixed..........

Post by jakeslouw »

Martin,

Sounds like your turbo is simply not spinning up quick enough from idle.

Some options:
- big bore exhaust ( I think you already have one?)
- remove restrictive center exhaust box: go for straight pipe.
- replace rear box maybe with a large straight-thru if the standard rear box now seems loud
- does the KZ-TE have Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR)? If so, disconnect and blank off holes.
- install an Exhaust Gas Temp (EGT) sensor and dash gauge: simply dumping diesel into the motor as per petrol engines just kills a diesel on a long uphill. Drive a TD motor like a big 2-stroke bike: don't keep it at full revs for too long, and vary the throttle opening.

Land Rover TD5 engines have EXACTLY the same symptoms as your KZ-TE: sluggish, slow to spin up the turbo: all solved by the first 4 mods above. These mods allow the turbo to spin up quicker off idle.

Return to “The Workshop”