Owner of 1989 Hilux 2.2 DC - Raised and restored

Introduce yourself and Meet the rest of the crowd
Dadz Toy BFI

Owner of 1989 Hilux 2.2 DC - Raised and restored

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Howzit Guys

Awesome to see this Website!!

I fell in love with my Lady when it was aquired by a friend 9 years ago. After much grovelling and harrassment he finally agreed to pass it on to me when Athritus got the better of him 2yrs ago.

Had her 2 yrs now (got her for my 38th Birthday) and after a recent trip to St.Lucia and Swazi Land the astronomical fuel bill (R6,000 for +/- 6000kms) has prompted me to think seriously about an engine replacement before the next big trip!

The back shocks are in a bad way so that's the next immediate job. Was recommended 'Camil suspension' (coil and gas-strut) can anybody confirm this choice?

Seriously in need of side steps as my 76yr old Dad grabs the keys at every opportunity and poor old Mum struggles to climb aboard.

Otherwise I love driving her around Cape Town, it's a school runner and electrician's run-around between camping expeditions.

The number plate (Dadz Toy-WP) says it all really my two sons (3yr old and 3 month old) love "Mr.Truck" as much as Daddy does.

I'd really appreciate any advice, particularly recommendations for Services and fuel efficiency tips.

Great to join the club!

Rich
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Re: Owner of 1989 Hilux 2.2 DC - Raised and restored

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hi Rich

Hi Rich welcome to the forum :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
As far as suspention goes the best alround seems to be the Old Man Emu set up as the SFA Hilux does not have coil springs but infact leaf springs. :mrgreen:
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

Welcome Rich

well done on joining the "club", now you have not only your laaties who love your lux but a couple hundred like minded ladies and gents to love it too. :mrgreen:
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Hi Rich and welcome.

I agree with CM. Old Man Emu was the best purchase I made. Much more comfortable and now I have better articulation and less need for the diff locks.

Enjoy the future mods...

(BTW R6000 for 6000km is something I'm aiming for for in the future :lol: I'm sitting closer to R8k /6000km :cry: :cry: )
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Rich, and welcome to "our" Forum!

Re your fuel consumption woes, have you looked at this thread?
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=676

I would also love to have more power, but at the end of the day, is it really worth it for our usual purposes, unless you are towing a heavy trailer or caravan? The normal stock-built Hilux is as reliable as a rock, but when one starts with engine swaps, all sorts of bugs seem to creep in.

If you consider the trips done by people like Geoff & Harold, there Hiluxes (I think???) are all stock-standard, and they never seem to have any issues with performance or reliability.

(Don't shoot me if I'm wrong... 8)

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Ja stay away from the CAMILs on your SFA. Not a good choice. It will limit your SFAs articulation.

If you do a full suspension change the OME or IRONMAN is a good choice.

If you want to do shocks only consider Gabriel Safaris a s a good "cheeper" choice, but I recently have been looking at Monroes as an option and the more I see them perform off-road and speak to people using them, the more I like them.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Be careful of the Safaris, Gerhard (4EPajero) on the Community Forum complained that his Gabriel Safaris collapsed completely with under 20,000Km on them...

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sho ... hp?t=13103

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Hi Richard welcome here i know you will enjoy it.
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

I have Armstrong Safaries fitted at the rear anyone had any experiance with them?
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light

Return to “Meet the People”