Hilux Newbie from Canada Questions

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Samwise4
Town: Castlegar
Vehicle: Toyota matrix

Hilux Newbie from Canada Questions

Post by Samwise4 »

Hi Everyone :)

I am seriously considering importing a double cab Hilux from Japan into Canada and was hoping to get some input from everyone regarding them as I am very green with Hiluxs as we only have the Tacoma in Canada.

The vehicle has to be at least 15 years old so the newest model I can get is a 2008. Therefore i am looking at 5th generation, 6th generation, and the first few years of the 7th. My goal is to import one with less than 150k kms.

About my usuage:
-Live in the mountains and we have colder weather/snow in the winter where it will get down to -25 degrees celcius.
-I own a boat and would like to be able to trailer it and haul loads and/or put on a small camper
-daily driver to work/apptox. 30 km at highway speeds of 100km/hr
-off-road use, not used in sand or rock crawling but would like to be able to get up mountain off road trails.

Questions:

-Should I stick with a diesel motor? I am leaning towards one due to the low end torque and better fuel economy.

-Of the diesel engines, what would you recommend? Any to stay away from in the respective generations?
5th generation: 2L, 3L, 2L-2?
6th generation: 2L-T2, 2L-TE, 5L, 5L-E 1KZ-TE?
-and years to stay away from here? pre-facelift, post facelift?
-Ive-read about the issues of this 3000D being an issue, what years was this on?
7th generation: 2.KD-FTV, 1KD-FTV?

I ve read about the heads cracking on the turbos, which engine models/years were more prone to this problem?

regarding rust, any years more prone to frame rust? In the tacoma, we had a mass recall on the frame from years 1997-2004? Does the hilux have the same issue?

In regards to part availability, any models/years to stay away from due to availability? i understand that it will be more difficult with me being in Canada sourcing parts but don't want to import something that is even more difficut.

Apologies for the thousand questions, I am new to the Hilux and any input would be greatly considered!

Cheers,

Sam
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Re: Hilux Newbie from Canada Questions

Post by niclemaitre »

Hi there

Good luck with your purchase.

The old naturally aspirated diesel (the "L" series) are donkeys. Slow and steady. I had a 2.8 (3L) and it struggled to maintain 100km/h. We'd joke that it would go anywhere at 80 though. They do tend to have an overheating issue, so an EGT gauge is highly recommended.

The 5th gen had a solid front axle, which is amazing for off road ability, but sucks for ride comfort. The 6th generation had independent front suspension and a much better ride. The AC in the 5th is just a button, that does nothing but sap performance.

The KZ-TE was a great engine after around 2002, where they fixed the head issue. It only came out in the 6th generation, along with a much better ride and working AC.

I've had friends who owned the D4D engines, both the 2.4 and the 3.0, and they are full of praise for them.
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
Samwise4
Town: Castlegar
Vehicle: Toyota matrix

Post by Samwise4 »

Thanks for the reply Nic!

Upon some further research on jdms, it looks like I can only get the 5L, 3L, 2L-TE in the diesel models from Japan, not the KZ-TE. Any experience with the 5L vs the 3L or 2L-TE?

Where do the models with the KZ-TE typically come from?

In regards to petro, looks like the main jdm versions are the 3Y-E or 3RZ-FE engines.

Any preference between those options, 3RZ-FE vs 5L ? maintenance intervals, reliability, fuel consumption, overall performance?
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

For the "L" series engines I don't think that there is much difference in performance between any of them. My 3L was hard pressed to maintain 100 km/h on the flat, and forget about uphill. It was incredible off road, in technical, rocky terrain with great low down torque and amazing engine braking. Epic for a farm toy, not such a great daily. Got 10 l / 100 km.

We have the KZ-TE in South Africa and Australia, but all right hand drive. Maybe they never made the left hand drive version?

The 3RZ-FE I have now is a super engine, reliable and much more accomplished daily driver (and the AC works!). Fuel consumption is around 13 l / 100 km. I service mine every 10 000 km, same as the diesels. It'll do 120 km/h fairly easily, about 3500 RPM in 5th. The 4.0 l V6 in the next generation is a very nice engine too, same consumption, more power. The 3RZ-FE is not as good in technical off road as the diesels, with less low down torque, but it is much better in sand/mud as it revs more readily.
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”