4y EFI "mis" idling.

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
BrandOosthuizen99
Town: Lydenburg
Vehicle: 1993 TOYOTA HILUX YN67

4y EFI "mis" idling.

Post by BrandOosthuizen99 »

Hi guys

I have a imported 4y that I converted to EFI a while back. Spitronics Orion 2 advance computer with a gwm intake and a 4y electronic distributor converted to a hall pickup.

I drove the other day to a shop all good, then when i went back home the bakkie started to splatter and drive real crap. Couldn't even get to 40km/h.

So the troubleshooting started. Checked compression all fine, all injectors fine, but noticed a orange spark on the plugs. Timing also on point.

Changed the coil, still the same. Then today I replaced the spark plugs. Boom! The bakkie drives great and better than before. But 20 km further, it started again with its problems.
Sparkplugs has oil residue on the tips which decreases the spark strength.
Can it be the valve stem seals ?
Also, can the valve stem seals be replaced without removing the head?

Kind regards
Brand Oosthuizen
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

Re: 4y EFI "mis" idling.

Post by Tim86 »

I have just had the sporadic misfire problem on my 22R.
New plugs, thought it was sorted, then happened again.
New HT leads (Bougicord, R300.00), and when removing the old ones noticed one was properly kinked/broken.
Problem appears solved.
If all the plugs look like they have residue, it may be fuel residue due to poor ignition through the single HT lead from coil to dizzy - just a thought.
That much oil usage may be noticeable on the stick (used a bit over previous kms?) and from exhaust smoke.
BrandOosthuizen99
Town: Lydenburg
Vehicle: 1993 TOYOTA HILUX YN67

Post by BrandOosthuizen99 »

Hi Tim,

Valve stem seals, spark plugs, ignition coil and leads, replaced
Tested for spark, timing, injectors, compression, fuel pressure, all was correct

Sunday I had it towed in, because it couldn't start even. After driven about 30kilos problem free. Then today I started it first kick, idling without misfire of any sort. Then after a while it started missing and overfueling etc.

What now ?? This thing is breaking my brain
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Tim86 »

Maybe the computer - try get hold of Louis Zanoli, he knows these systems.

Return to “The Workshop”