Radiator expansion tank or reservoir

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Adam100
Town: McGregor
Vehicle: Hilux

Radiator expansion tank or reservoir

Post by Adam100 »

Hi all,

I have replaced the radiator on a KZTE but the new one differs from the old.

The original had the pipe to the expansion tank in the space above the element with a normal release cap to guard against over pressure.

The new radiator has the pipe coming from above the cap pressure release seal with a valve to permit coolant to be drawn back when the engine cools. But it's not working well and I'm thinking that this layout contains the pressure just in the radiator and the tank is now just used as a reservoir, and needs to be vented to atmosphere.

I'd appreciate it if someone can advise please.

Cheers,
Adam
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Re: Radiator expansion tank or reservoir

Post by pietpetoors »

Adam all my older vehicles have the expansion tank's pipe above the radiator cap seal.
Idea is when cap opens it must push water into the expansion tank. Thus tank can be atmosphere pressure.
If you say it does not work well, can your expansion tank breathe?
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots

Return to “The Workshop”