Wipers won't stop.

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
4x4vinny
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: HAM

Wipers won't stop.

Post by 4x4vinny »

I have a 2008 Fortuner 4.0l 4x4. Wife said the wipers stopped working the other day. Had a look and found the fuse blown. Replaced the fuse only to find that the wipers come on and won't switch off. At first I thought it may be a stuck relay only to find the Fortuner doesn't have any wiper relays in any of the fuse boxes. Second I thought it was the column stalk switch only to find that if I remove the fuse during one of its cycles it won't start again until I use the stalk to activate it again. It's starts again and doesn't stop no matter where you have the stalk. High and slow speed also still work.

This one is puzzling. Any feedback would be much appreciated. I don't know how the older Fortuner and Hilux,s wiper system works so difficult to diagnose.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: Wipers won't stop.

Post by Family_Dog »

Hazarding a guess I would think that the -ve wiper lead has gone to earth somewhere, but that is only a guess. Might be problem elsewhere.

Are there any after-market items fitted to the vehicle that might be causing an electrical loop somewhere down the line?

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

4x4vinny
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Fortuner
Club VHF Licence: HAM

Post by 4x4vinny »

Family_Dog wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:06 am Hazarding a guess I would think that the -ve wiper lead has gone to earth somewhere, but that is only a guess. Might be problem elsewhere.

Are there any after-market items fitted to the vehicle that might be causing an electrical loop somewhere down the line?

-F_D
I am thinking the same thing FD. I don't have to many aftermarket items installed apart for the spotlights and an old NLuna secondary battery system. Also a 2 way radio. Not much that I can think would pose a problem but will go through these installations and see what I find. If anyone else has a theory pse post. Will keep you all updated as we go.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Just ensure your accessories (radio & spot lights) are connected directly to the battery and not through any other vehicle wiring.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Return to “The Workshop”