SFA with EFI mod - struggles to start

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Ryperd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 1994 Hilux D/C 2.2 Petrol (4Y SFA)

SFA with EFI mod - struggles to start

Post by Ryperd »

I am a very happy EFI customer (Dicktator) and have been for many years. The only thing that’s frustrating is that it hates starting on a cold morning. It’s with friends doing a trip through Kruger at the moment and they are struggling to get it started for early drives. It just keeps turning the starter motor without kicking in. I thought it was maybe low voltage in the battery but it’s at 12.85V which should be plenty. It does start okay with a jump start though. I’m not sure if it’s the engine management configuration or something else (maybe starter motor?). The battery is fairly new. There is a second battery but that’s unplugged when they start the car. Should I just take it to an auto electrician or is there something else I should check?
Tom Cruiser: 2001 Land Cruiser 79 1HZ
Ryperd: 1994 Hilux D/C 4Y SFA - sold
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Re: SFA with EFI mod - struggles to start

Post by Family_Dog »

Maybe they should just try switching ignition on and off about three times without actually starting it, in order to ensure the fuel pump is fully primed? I do that with mine - admittedly it is not used that often but it starts easily enough after this. Also running a Diktator on a 4Y.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Ryperd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Ryperd »

Thanks F_D. I do that too and have shown them the priming steps. On a cold day sometimes that's not enough.

A few weeks ago I looked at the engine management software and saw that the water temperature compensation was set to 0 at -20, and figured that might be the issue so I set it to the sample in the Dicktator Software Guide (set a bit higher based on what the 0 and up values were set to in my system). I think it did make it slightly better but still not starting properly. My battery voltage compensations are also very different from the ones in the manual but I'm hesitant to play with those since I guess they were set during engine tuning.

I'm also not sure whether the Dicktator setup is a red herring and whether the problem is more likely to be elsewhere.
dicktator_map.png
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I'm not a fundi with EFI but I assume from your map that you're not making use of a cold start valve. In such a case cold start fuel enrichment is done through the injectors. Those values could be either too low or even too high. What one could maybe try is manual priming by pouring a small cap full of fuel into the intake at any convenient place .... the crank case breather tube might be such a place on your set up. Pull the end off at the tappet cover, lift it high and pour the fuel into it giving it a few seconds to run down into the manifold, reconnect the tube and try start immediately. If this works the fuel enrichment compensation is too low.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Thank you for that Software Link Rudi, I never even knew there was one!

My 4Y starts easily enough once I have primed the fuel pump but I do need to modify the 'cold running' as well, it tends to cut out unless I keep the revs up at idle. Perhaps my idle revs are too low.

I hope you get sorted with your problem.

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Ryperd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Ryperd »

Thanks for the advice and encouragement Andy, F_D. We took it to someone who knows the Dicktator system and I think he's increased the water temperature compensation, and apparently it started easily this morning. He also picked up that it has the wrong spark plugs. He noticed some electrical interference which was affecting how it idled. It needs to be the 'R' model plugs. I knew this already but was lazy and took it to a garage to service last time. That's what happens when you don't do things yourself 😝! We'll get it back later today and see if it's running any better.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Good to hear that Rudi. Hope that the problem is solved now. :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Rudi, I took Bulldog for a service a few months ago and they changed the spark plugs and fitted standard ones. I only noticed this now, and I cannot remember the correct plugs number. Please let me have the plug data if you can, will be much appreciated.

-F_D

The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Eric,the correct spark plug for the 4Y EFI is NGK BPR5e.That is the one Louis Zanolie uses on all his 4Y EFI conversions.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Thanks Dawie, I will get a set and swap them out! :thumbup:

-F_D

Return to “The Workshop”