4Y lifters

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
dirty130
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Ipswich
Vehicle: 4 Runner 1st Gen

4Y lifters

Post by dirty130 »

Hello, I have a 86 4 runner and it makes a tick tick tick noise while driving it was intermittent but now its all the time so I am going to replace my lifters in my 4Y i have read the workshop manual on how to replace them it seems pretty easy. I have the Max Ellery's book It doesn't say how to prime the lifters, how do i do this? and is there anything else i should do? i am also thinking of replacing the push rods, as i heard if these are bent it would also courses the tick tick tick noise. I found this thread on the forum which tells me which lifters to install. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9026" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks Dave
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Re: 4Y lifters

Post by Mr_B »

Hi Dave,

If I haven't welcomed you yet, welcome to the forum. I would think that the original Toyota hydraulic lifters will be a bit cheaper in the UK, here in SA we get ripped by Toyota for original parts... over here Toyota asks R 350 per lifter... x8 = R2800.00, or about 240 pounds for a set... we now use the Chev high rpm, high performance lifters, which are a fraction of the Toyota original's cost(R 450, 40 pounds, for a set of 8), the MasterParts(local SA spares outlet) is HYT04-04, just take one of your original lifters with to your local spares dealer, I'm sure they will be able to match them up with the correct Chev part there... that's if Toyota is too expensive... yes replacing them is pretty easy(but a little fiddly), you will need a decent telescopic magnetic tool, and some cam lube... the cam lube is smeared on the lifter face of the new lifter on installation, and assists in mating the cam lobe and lifter face...

Mr B
dirty130
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by dirty130 »

Hello thanks for the info. I actualy live in Ipswich Queenlands Australia but im from the UK. I rang Toyota today $90 each for the lifter! my bottom jaw hit the floor 8 x $90 = new cylinder head ($275) and a days work. I rang Walkers auto pro $6 each! they are the chev ones made by master parts, so do i need to prime the lifters? and is it worth changing the push rods? i cannot find them anywhere and they cost $70 each from toyota.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

In terms of the 4Y engine, I don't have to much knowledge of replacing the push rods... I say mic them up, check them against spec for length, check if they are bent on a straight edge... if out of spec/bent... replace... I've never seen bent ones yet... I'm sure if you over rev a 4Y you could bend them though... just be careful when buying 'in-expensive' lifters, here is SA we get the Chinese cheapy rubbish ones as well, they cost the same as the chev ones, but aren't nearly the quality...

Mr B
dirty130
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by dirty130 »

Well the reason why i think the push rod is bent is because i got my truck stuck in a ditch and my mate jumped in and drove it out and his idea of getting things out is foot flat on the floor. Thats ok in his patrol because it has a rev limiter but im pretty sure the old 4 runner doesn't. but after he drove it, it started making the tick tick tick noise.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Also just do a compression test first ......
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

I've witnessed a Jeep start with a tick tick tick, after drowning the engine in water... turned out to be a bent conrod... in your case, if the push rods are affordable, replace them...
dirty130
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by dirty130 »

yeha i am going to replace the pushrods if i can find some one to supply them for a reasonable price toyota want $70 each for them
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Phew! That's pricey ... seems like the stealers fell on their heads down under as well .... thought that it was just here in RSA!

Take them out and clean them off, keeping them in the same order as they came out. Roll them one at a time on a clean flat surface (like a planer bed ... glass doesn't work well for this) with a back-light and look to see if any are bent by looking for light breaking through between the rod and the surface as you roll it. If none are bent, replace them in the order that they came out ... no need to replace with new ones. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
dirty130
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by dirty130 »

I don't really want to replace them because i have been reading on toyota van forums and they have said alsorts of horrible things about replacing the followers if your going to replace the push rods and then the valves because of the wear patterns. Also they said the noise might be the conrods. Toyota OEM parts are really expensive where ever you go.
W0ODY
Town: durban
Vehicle: gwm

Post by W0ODY »

Hi guys ,I have a gwm 2.2I double cab,it comes with a toyota 4Y engine,I have fitted a 50 mm performance exhaust with branches at Primaforce,I have ordered the chev lifters from master parts,I would like more my original one out,,does the chev lifters just replace my original lifters without any conversions or extra steps,my van limits at 4400rpm,and I've clocked out at 165km/h ,I am busy trying to get a performance cam from master cams,I am in durban ,is there any other mods u guys cn suggest I do to increse performance ,also contact info on where I can get valve springs and bigger valves to rev higher
mthiza
Town: Durban
Vehicle: Toyota Cressida

Post by mthiza »

Hi,
I heard a hydraulic lifter noise on my 4y engine and I changed oil pump, rocker shaft, push rods and then there was no noise, but after three months the noise cam back again and I noticed that it was coming from hydraulic lifter number 7 which showed a gap between the push rod and the tappet, I would like to know what went wrong here because all others are fine an intact.

Return to “The Workshop”