IIA Distributer Installation 4Y Engine

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Gertvn#86
Town: Potchefstroom
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4 Double Cab

IIA Distributer Installation 4Y Engine

Post by Gertvn#86 »

Thank you for accepting me as a member of the Forum.

"Me and my 1987 (registered) Toyota High-Ace 4x4 Double Cab bakkie with a 4Y engine are travelling partners since 28 July 1987 (34 years) and I have no intentions of trading her in for a younger one. She was one of the first two that was specially assembled to be sold and delivered in Windhoek.

Recently I had to fit a new 4Y engine that was supplied with a IIA distributer and a new unknown brand carburetor. I am now at a stage where I realize that I must tread carefully…

The old conventional type YN distributer was fed from the harness with a single Black, Red spotted wire (that becomes live on ignition) and on the new distributer there is a service connector with a Black and a Brown wire, coming out of the distributer. This is the central point of my problem – where to connect each wire?

Various wiring diagrams on the internet that I consulted indicate that one of the wires leading out of the distributor (or conventional coil) leads to the Tachometer. The most detailed wiring diagram dated August 1988 that I could lay hands on for an instrument unit with four connector ports at the back indicates position “D7” for the Tachometer connection. I removed the instrument unit from the dashboard and noticed that the instrument panel, in my case, only have three connector ports. The wiring diagram available on your Hilux Manual 1985-1994 Chapter 21 does not cater for a Tachometer. I am reluctant to delve further into the instrument unit in order to locate the connection point on the Tachometer itself.

I have consulted a number of auto-electrical businesses (including Toyota) in my home town, Potchefstroom for assistance, without success.

I am now totally dependent on the wisdom and advice of an auto-electrician in order to start and hear the purr of her new engine.

Advice will be sincerely appreciated.

If necessary, I can provide photos.

Gert van Niekerk.
dd6
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: 1995 SFA

Re: IIA Distributer Installation 4Y Engine

Post by dd6 »

Welkom Oom Gert, jy is sommer hier naby, ek is in Klerksdorp.

Jou probleem is al bespreek. Ek hoop ek plaas die link reg anders moet die admin maar help.

https://www.hilux4x4.co.za/views/viewto ... ng#p514257

Ek het so vinnig op my bedradings diagram geloer. Die "Tacho" se draad is geel/wit.

Return to “The Workshop”