2011 DC 2.5srx 4x4 mod list help

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
Africansafarifilms
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: Hilux

2011 DC 2.5srx 4x4 mod list help

Post by Africansafarifilms »

Hey all

Just sold my KZTE and getting a 2011 SRX DC the weekend. Main purpose of this bakkie is for hunting and I need to add some accessories but don’t want to spend too dollar on parts. I need the most affordable parts that will work.

If anyone out there can point me into the right direction with my list it would be greatly appreciated.

Bumper replacement Bullbar
Long range tank
Front coils
Rear helper blade
Shocks
Hunting frame I will build myself

I do have a question though, if I put the bumper Bullbar on I would think it is necessary to beef up the coils and proper suspension correct? I mean if the stock coils with decent shocks will work well I would rather go that route. But I want the bakkie to be reliable

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 2011 DC 2.5srx 4x4 mod list help

Post by Mud Dog »

Beefing up the front suspension is always a good idea with the heavier bumper. The bumper itself doesn't add too much weight, but it's the overhang in front that causes it to impact the suspension.

Then there's the question about if you're going to fit a winch (now or maybe later) and whether your hunting activities require it, like what type of terrain you typically hunt in and whether you're going to include bigger game like Kudu and Eland. If your typical terrain doesn't warrant it, most guys would simply have a small winch securely mounted in the back behind the cab at roll-bar height for winching larger game up into the load bin. If the terrain is bad enough you might want to consider a second conventional winch, while others would just fit a normal winch up front with a roller / pulley system that allows you to direct the cable over the cab for the load bin. I don't like the idea for two reasons - although it might be less costly and practical enough, mostly it looks crappy but more importantly, if you're not using expensive plasma rope (you could buy the small winch for the back at the price), no matter how careful you intend to be when routing and un-routing the cable, you're going to end up with scratches and abrasions to the bonnet and roof from the cable.

The other things you mention are all practical improvements for hunting purposes.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Africansafarifilms
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Africansafarifilms »

Muddog

Thanks for the reply. I will be having my winch on the back for sure. We do a lot of buffalo so putting it in the bumper upfront is not an option for me, I hate those setups. So no my front will only be the bumper.

Still looking hard for decent shocks that don’t cost an arm and a leg, any suggestions?
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Some guys like the Gabriel Safari's but not me - pretty hard. A better option would be Monroe (better bang for your buck in my opinion), - life time warranty, much smoother ride as well and if you want a bit better performance you can opt for their nitro-charged Gas-Magnum units (that would be my choice out of the general stuff).

Bilstein shocks are a bit more pricey than the run of the mill units, but better value for money than most. Then of course if your budget allows you can look at Old Man Emu, Fox, Pro-Comp.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”