7M SFA Hilux engine problem

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Enno Swanepoel
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: 1993 Toyota hilux 4x4

7M SFA Hilux engine problem

Post by Enno Swanepoel »

Good day

I have a '93 Hilux with a 7M-GE motor coupled to the existing 4Y Toyota gearbox. The engine is excellent with the last measured fuel consumption near 10km/l.
Unfortunately the excellence stopped this Sunday when I drove back to Bloemfontein from Lichtenburg. The engine ran well until about 10km before Bloem when a strange sound came from the engine. Afraid to damage anything further I switched it off and got a friend to tow me the rest of the way. I have no idea what it could be as the bakkie still had power. I have a video of the engine running but can't seem to upload it to this post. It sounds as if something is loose inside the engine and knocking irregularly when the engine is running. As I said, the bakkie drove fine the whole way until suddenly it didn't anymore. If anyone can help with a diagnosis it will be much appreciated. I can send the video as well if anyone has an idea or if someone maybe knows about someone in the Bloemfontein area which can help.
Thanks in advance.

Regards
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 7M SFA Hilux engine problem

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Enno. :thumbup:

It's nearly impossible to diagnose like this .... could be a number of possibilities. Physically being there and hearing the sound and where it's coming from (top or bottom of the motor) would help, but even that is no guarantee. It's an old motor so if the sound is low down I would hazard a guess and say that you've possibly run a crank or big-end bearing. If it's in the front it could be that the timing chain / chain guide / tensioner are buggered. If it's at the top it could be that there's a camshaft or cam follower problem.

Only way is to strip the motor. Then rebuild it if the bores are still good and not too badly worn.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
JAMES399
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Alejandria Antioquia Colombia SA
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4

Post by JAMES399 »

Here is an excerpt from a site called, "7M-GTE: Everything you need to know.

KNOWN PROBLEMS

"Quite a few Toyota engines of the past have been known for excessive oil consumption. This problem occurs from worn down piston rings is common on the 2AZ-FE and other Toyota engines. Luckily, the 7M-GTE doesn’t have an oil consumption issue, but it does have an issue with blowing up.

During the assembly, Toyota failed to torque the head bolt as tight as they should have been. Once this issue was discovered Toyota changed their assembly process and raised the torque spec for the head bolts. Because of this issue, a massive majority of 7M-GTEs experience a blown head gasket at some point. If the engine is old, it can experience many blown head gaskets throughout its lifetime. The simplest way to fix this issue is to simply re-torque the head bolts to the proper spec, but sometimes the problem is worse than that.

Another common issue with the 7M-GTE is rod knock. Unfortunately, Toyota didn’t build the 7M-GTE to extremely high standards like they did with the 1JZ. If the rod knock issues persists, you may end up with a blown bottom end. Basically, the 7M-GTE was one of the least reliable Toyota engines produced in the 80s and 90s."

Here is a link to the whole site: https://dustrunnersauto.com/7mgte/

Shutting it down when the noise started was smart thinking.

- JAMES
Enno Swanepoel
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: 1993 Toyota hilux 4x4

Post by Enno Swanepoel »

Thanks for the input so far, it is much appreciated! There is a mechanic here that suggested that I bring him the vehicle so that he could take a look at it, but due to bad past experience, I don't want to just take the vehicle to the first available mechanic. That said, is there a reliable mechanic that someone can refer me to? The mechanic I spoke to suggested it would be cheaper to just buy another 7M engine instead of rebuilding this one. I've read on this forum that it is anyway preferred to rebuild the engine when it is bought? I think it was Mark (Gunta) that sounded like an expert on these engines that suggested it. So maybe if someone has a reliable source that will be able to do the rebuild?

Regards
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Welkom Enno,

Gunta lives in Moz now but yes, he know them pretty well.

If they are still around, an oldish guy from President Motors was know for his knowledge?

Or if you could get it to Welkom, oom Pontie ken al die ou enjins agterstevoor!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.

Return to “The Workshop”