Help and advice PLEASE

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
NamibWorrier
Town: Windhoek
Vehicle: Hilux D4D 2.5

Help and advice PLEASE

Post by NamibWorrier »

Hey guys and girls....so I have a small problem on my 2.5 D4D 4x4 and it all started in December...

I was travelling between Mariental and Windhoek and all of a sudden my enging check light comes on and my beastie goes into limp mode. So naturally I pull off next to the road switch off and open the bonnet equipped with my fixer all 4 pound tool to see if I can fix the problem...checked all hoses from aircleaner to the intercooler and manifold all seems good. Checked for any oil in or around turbo housing and found nothing....checked oil level and water levels and also all good....so with nothing apparent I got back in and started again....check enginge light is off and so off I go again...no power loss no smoking, she is running great again. 

Then 20km before Windhoek same story and not being to far from home I carried on in limp mode.
Parked at home and next day called the agent to do a diagnostic on the bakkie.

So I was told it is turbo problem and that it needs to be replaced...failing to believe the prognosis I contacted the second dealer and did another diagnostic...this time they indicated that the MAP sensor only is faulty and they can fit a new one...this done and all errors reset of I go on vacation.

Low and behold coming back from Capetown last week the same thing happens again. 

Back to dealer number 2 to diagnose and again MAP sensor faulty and as there are no warranties on electrical components I must by new one again...not being happy I did not...

So now I have check function of orginal sensor and new sensor with multimeter and probes connected indicating supply voltage of 5.03V and signal output of 0.895V at idle. When hitting the accelerator the signal voltage does change indicating working sensor output but still engine check light is on.

I then asked a friend with same bakkie if I can test his sensor as to the votage output on his signal which was 0.903 at idle and changed when revving the motor...

Plugged my unit in and all is well on his vehicle and he has done 1500km hard driving already with my sensor installed...being to scared of damaging his original I don't want to fit it to my vehicle.

But now I am stuck and I have no idea where or what to do or try next....

If anyone can offer a solution or a direction I can follow it will be greatly appreciated....
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Re: Help and advice PLEASE

Post by Haboob »

Firstly, Welcome to the Forum.
Secondly, I am not even an Appy mechanic, but,
I have read posts where these vehicles go into limp mode, because,
The Catalytic Converters get clogged up.
This should not be the case with you driving long distances from Mariental to Windhoek
and to Cape Town and back which normally generates enough heat to melt that gunge and push it out the back of the exhaust.
Not knowing your driving style makes it hard to guess at what the solution could be.
That said, there are people a lot more clever than I am on this forum, who should be able to give you a starting point...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
NamibWorrier

Post by NamibWorrier »

Thank you for the reply Haboob....yes I do long distances with the vehicle and I very particular about my fuel I use as well.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome Tiaan! :thumbup:

Not sure I can help much either .... diesels aren't my thing. The sensor you're talking about, is that the MAF (mass air flow)?
Doubt that is the cause if the old one works fine in your friend's vehicle .... also since you had the same problem after some time with the new replacement unit. Must be some other underlying issue or a sensor giving faulty info to the ECU.

Turbo's can give problems that aren't always apparent, so it might be a good idea to have it checked. Then there are things like the blocked cat that Edge mentioned, dirty particulate filters, injectors that have moved out of calibration spec, AFR sensor could be dirty and same with the EGT sensor if you have one fitted.

Hopefully someone with a more thorough knowledge of diesel problems will assist.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
NamibWorrier

Post by NamibWorrier »

Thanks Mud Dog....yes it seems I will have to go through everything...problem stil remains that diagnostic machine points only to the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor fitted to the side of the intercooler....I hate all the electronics on the modern day vehicles.....old school more my style so if you know anyone with and 84 to 86 2.4 SFA Diesel Hilux 4X4...let me know....
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Agree! :D:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Whisky
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2009 Toyota Hilux DC 3.0 D -4D 4X4
Club VHF Licence: HC 136

Post by Whisky »

Tiaan ek stem saam met Mud Dog, gaan die sensors na. Ek het op my Isuzu so 'n probleem gehad en die rekenaar het nie die regte probleem uitgewys nie. Het toe die MAF sensor uitgehaal en skoongemaak. Kry so 'n buis spuitstof wat die rekenaar mense gebruik om die elektronika van die rekenaars mee te spuit/skoonmaak. Dit spuit skoon en verdamp onmiddelik. Spuit die sensor skoon en toets. Dit kan 'n lang proses wees.
Sterkte.
Issi786
Town: Machadodorp
Vehicle: 2012 fortuner 3.0 d4d

Post by Issi786 »

Hi Tiaan. I have a problem with my map reading as well and I have done a lot of testing and research on it. Unfortunately mine is the ecu. If u have access to a diagnostic tool. First check would be the map reading on the diagnostic tool with the ignition on and the engine off. It should be in the same region as the atmospheric pressure.

Hope that helps
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Kyk mooi na die plug en drade - erens kan 'n draadjie net-net deurgeskuur wees.

Maak ook seker die earth na die enjin is mooi skoom en styf vas, mens weet nooit.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.

Return to “The Workshop”