Hilux Surf 1 kzte heating problems......

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
dirtdog
Town: Howick
Vehicle: Hilux Surf
Club VHF Licence: NA

Hilux Surf 1 kzte heating problems......

Post by dirtdog »

Hi There from a new member to this forum. I wish I found you guys six months back!
Long story: My dad bought a Lemon from a guy in Richards bay, This is his first diesel van, an imported hilux surf 3.0 1 KZTE. ( He has always been a mad Toyota fan but could never afford one new) He drove up from Richards Bay to Howick, and it was fine. then him and mom Hooked his caravan up, and did not reach Bergville before it overheated. We collected a disgruntled old man and even more grumpy ouma. Dad having worked on Petrol motors his whole life, with many many successful conversions under his belt, decided to pull the motor. We downloaded manuals, re conned the whole motor. New pistons, new Toyota head (old one assumed cracked, but not tested, so we just tossed it anyway) New water pump, new viscous fan, new bearings, re conned injectors, new belts, new thermostat, everything done and torqued to specs from the Toyota manuals and dads 50 years experience.. We knew we got it right when she Started first swing, no splutter no hassle nothing. Perfect, as it should be. Then,..........we take it on the maiden voyage with much glee......... no hassles. Dad drives the van around Nottingham road / Mooiriver / Howick area no problems 500km and we drop oil and put new. Then hooks caravan with grumpy old lady in tow, and off they go. First hill outside Howick she 3/4 boils. We bring the van back to my engineering shop in Howick......spend hours on hours going through our workmanship, no oil leaks, no water leaks. No bubbles in water tell - tail sign of blown head gasket, no water in oil. Compression test 100%. Assume faulty Radiator. (Copper unit) Silvertons does pressure test, nothing wrong, does flow test, nothing wrong. We replace radiator cap with new. Off we go. Same hill, same results. Under load this motor heats up. Not in traffic not in town, only under load. The we spend even more hours on the net. We end up replacing the turbo with a new unit as the waste gate seat had hairline cracks in. Our thinking was gasses were by passing. Same hill, same results............. Back in to workshop. More hours on the net and re reading our manuals again for the 1023th time. Stumped. We then work backwards. In our manuals we find mention of the EGR valve that might cause these symptoms, this seems to have been removed already. DPF seems clean. We then install an aftermarket Davies Craig EWP115 pump with Electronic feedback and two new 12' fans. Seems marginally better, but still heats under load. Remove electric fans, install fixed blade fan with cowling, run electric pump with no controller attached and there is another small improvement. Still not enough to have 100% faith. Please guy, there must be someone here that knows more than our manual and these pimple faced mechanics on the net that cant even focus a camera. Help.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Hilux Surf 1 kzte heating problems......

Post by Mud Dog »

If a petrol motor over-fuels it runs a bit cooler, if a diesel over-fuels it runs a lot hotter, so that might be something to look at.

Then diesels always run hotter the harder they work, so when towing up a hill it might be a good idea to drop down another gear (maybe 3rd instead of 4th) .... sounds counter intuitive I know because the revs are much higher, but the motor isn't labouring and the foot isn't pressed to the floor (causing over-fuelling).

Driving style for a diesel is not the same as for a petrol motor. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

P.S. Thabo, you know these motors well. Maybe you can give a better insight into possible causes for the problem.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Can be the way the injector pump is adjusted, maybe giving too little or too much fuel. I saw that on a friend's KZ who had a fancy heat monitor installed. It also became hot when driving fast or uphill. Then he had the injector pump adjusted and heat problem was better.

What I found on some older vehicles is that at some stage in its life it blown a head gasket and there was oil in the water which resulted in oil in the radiator. The oil layer in radiator you do not just easily flush out. The oil layer influance the cooling. BUT I am sure Silverton radiators would have picked that up. I have also seen on my Hilux one years ago on our Tazz, when you replace the copper radiator with aluminium radiator it runs much cooler.

We had a Surf years ago and we replaced the radiator with a 2001 KZ Hilux radiator, pipes were on same side and we only had to adjust 2 of the holes where it fits to the car.

If it was mine I would take it for a proper diesel tuning to see that it does not overfuel.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
dirtdog

Post by dirtdog »

Thanks guys. We are willing to try anything. As for the diesel pump, we had the van send to Bosch diesel works in PMB, superb guys to deal with, the did the injectors, im not sure if they did a pump calibration or not, so I think thats the next on our list. If not........Lexus V8
dirtdog

Post by dirtdog »

So I called Derrick from Diesel Works, pump is going in for calibration......ill keep you posted!!!
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup: Hope that's the cause of the problem. :winkx:

Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

First I would check the pump(as you are already doing), then fit a 71 degree thermostat(Part nr 90916-03121 - TOYOTA ONLY!!! About R650) and have a new exhaust flange laser cut and have a 76mm downpipe installed(Reduces EGT's by upto 100 degrees).

One issue is the thermostat sits way down on the motor and when the standard 86 degree one opens, the head is very close to boiling. Rather spend another R200 and get the correct Toyota rad cap.

Water pump good?

O ja, what head gasket have you used? Not genuine Toyota = Lots of problems!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

I didn't mention it before because with your combined mechanical / workshop knowledge, it's something that I'm sure you would already have looked at, but sometimes we can fixate on a particular aspect of the problem and don't see the wood for the trees.

Don't overlook to more usual culprits like water pump efficiency, visco fan functionality and of course the radiator itself that the cooling fins are not badly corroded or choked with debris. Radiator cowls also makes a huge difference if it's missing.

Return to “The Workshop”