2019 in review.

Johan Havenga
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Heidelberg Gauteng
Vehicle: Toyota Prado 120 V6

2019 in review.

Post by Johan Havenga »

Just received my renewal notification by e-mail.

Since the year end braai last year at Spookspruit, no official event in Gauteng!

Is it still worth it?
rigardt
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: 2012 DC Hilux D4D
Club VHF Licence: HC348

Re: 2019 in review.

Post by rigardt »

sad to say but no not worth it anymore. not renewing mine either.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

We have discussed this a number of times in the committee section / amongst some committee members telephonically and even at AGM levels.

To try and put it all in a nutshell, first we have to take cognisance of the fact that all the guys who put effort into admin / maintaining / running the club, do so voluntarily, using their own time and resources with little or no benefit (that's committee members and also some general club members who from time t9o time help out with organising).

So often, the EC's try arrange outings but get little or no response from the membership to join in. This is not just in Gauteng, but in all the regions. Most often it's the same handful that attend. Look at the most recent example in the W/Cape where Tertius arranged an outing but got zero response - he had to cancel with the venue. It's very frustrating and demoralising for the EC's who are contributing their own time to do this.

We have pondered and discussed possible reasons for this .... is it just lack of interest? .... is it the economic climate where everyone is feeling the pinch financially or just don't have the time because they're more focused on keeping the wolf from the door? There are no conflicts of personalities that we are aware of that might be keeping members away, so what is it? It's probably a combo of finances and interest levels.

Remember that this is your club (the members) and that you should have input. That can be in the form of assistance / suggestions for outings and perhaps try to attend at least one outing per year besides the year-end GTG. Any suggestions from the membership on how we can revive interest or improve in our efforts are welcome. Get involved. Help us to lift the club out of stagnation.

Committee members can add anything that I might have missed mentioning.
Comments from you, the members, are looked forward to with anticipation.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

I haven't had the LTD in donkey gear for over 11 months...I for one had a rough year all round especially wrt time and money and weekends were spent trying to regain some sort of resemblance of being human. Went camping twice that I can recall...
A day out at a 4x4 venue these days can set one back around R1 000, and then it has to be within 120km range at the current fuel price, not to mention one's own consumption figures....hehe

For the radio license alone I think the club fees are still worth it
Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2200 Raider D/Cab 4x4 - SFA

Post by Bear »

I am not a club member. I queried about advantages and/or benefits of joining the club in June. My plan was to join at the beginning next year after Mud Dog responded to my query.

“As a club member you get the benefit of discount deals that the club is able to negotiate from time to time with suppliers of spares, camping & outdoor goods and 4x4 equipment. You also get the benefit of reduced costs on outings where the club has got a deal or provided sponsorship for members. Arguably the biggest benefit is that if you make use of VHF 2way radios, you don't need to licence them through ORRA (Off Road Radio Assoc) but can register your radio/s with the club and benefit from the club's blanket VHF radio licence without any cost to you (you get all the ORRA frequencies plus two additional ones that are club specific).
Last time I checked (admittedly some time ago) ORRA was charging R180 for the first radio and then R 60 per additional one thereafter. The club fees are only R160 per annum so there is already a massive saving."

After the point of Johan, it brought up concerns on whether to join.
After Mud Dog’s and Stef’s replies I understand the situation and agree strongly to the point.

I don’t know the reasons for this, but I can only speculate. I think we just have grown to an anti-social group. The forum is a perfect example and evidence of this.
There are only a handful of people that are contributing to discussions and keeping this forum alive, yet we share the same passion for the Hilux. There are so many “views” on each of the topics and so few responses. This topic is a perfect example as currently 134 views and contributions _ _ _
Do they not have knowledge on the topics in order to contribute on the forum?
Many of the Guys on the forum are experienced and have, so to say, “been there and done that”.

After all being said, I don’t think it has to do with finances and interest levels. It’s “OTHER”

Just my 2 cents worth!
Travel is not really about leaving our homes, but leaving our habits.
Adventure tends to magnify all human emotions.
It's only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.
Dowe Koos
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: Toyota Buschwagen 2.7 4x4

Post by Dowe Koos »

Hi everybody. I hear what you had discussed here.
From my side. When I do some over landing, all my money goes there. Finance definitely play a role here. When no over landing, I am normally more involved in the 4x4 outing. I think, it is more of how interesting the venue is. Like, I had been there and there, I am not interesting to do it again. As I had suggested few years ago, what of Woman day, where woman will be the drivers of that day. I can organised Deaf people to have competition with normal hearing people. Disabled against able. What about night drive. What about training day of all sort. There are many ideas how we can get more people involved. But unfortunately I believe that some politic in the forum had piepie off some people. That is an another thing we must look at. I love this forum and club. I would like to see that we can get more out of it.
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
rigardt
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: 2012 DC Hilux D4D
Club VHF Licence: HC348

Post by rigardt »

well there is a problem somewhere, but I don’t know what it is.
I posted that we are going to berakah on 6 July
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=44214
I got 5 replies (2 of them not relating my post) and 1626 views !!
mud dog posts about wine
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=40352
he gets 61 replies with 1316 views
maybe the people on this form likes drinking more than driving? who knows!
so, since the club has "died in our eyes anyway” we have started a small group of guys that actually wants to use our 4x4 for what they are made of.
we do a route or camping every 6 weeks. its only about 5 or 6 of us but at least we are doing something.
why own a 4x4 if you are not going to use it for 4x4? I don’t get it. it's like owning a drag car that sits in the garage for its whole life. never goes to a drag strip but just to say that you have one and brag about it around the braai.
Dowe Koos

Post by Dowe Koos »

Stem saam met jou oor die drag car :laugh2:
Ecc 1:9 Wat gewees het, dit sal daar weer wees; en wat gebeur het, dit sal weer gebeur, en daar is glad niks nuuts onder die son nie.
Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Bear »

rigardt wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:49 pm well there is a problem somewhere, but I don’t know what it is.
I posted that we are going to berakah on 6 July
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=44214
I got 5 replies (2 of them not relating my post) and 1626 views !!
mud dog posts about wine
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=40352
he gets 61 replies with 1316 views
maybe the people on this form likes drinking more than driving? who knows!
so, since the club has "died in our eyes anyway” we have started a small group of guys that actually wants to use our 4x4 for what they are made of.
we do a route or camping every 6 weeks. its only about 5 or 6 of us but at least we are doing something.
why own a 4x4 if you are not going to use it for 4x4? I don’t get it. it's like owning a drag car that sits in the garage for its whole life. never goes to a drag strip but just to say that you have one and brag about it around the braai.
Hi Rigardt
I don’t like competitions because it does put a big toll on the vehicle and possible damage which I don’t want on my vehicle. I purchased my 4x4 just under a year ago because of my passion for the outdoors. However I don’t have camping gear, etc. as yet so that is why I put off some trips. The other thing is that I am single and most guys go with their families, just puts me more like an outcast and I will have to be self-sufficient.

Dowe Koos brought about a point – “I think, it is more of how interesting the venue is. Like, I had been there and there, I am not interesting to do it again.”

I think more of the experienced guys want more of a challenge like a hard core obstacle course rather than an outing.

Well never the less don’t let that stop you from posting outings if you need the company. Soon I would like to meet personally with the guys and get to know exactly the minimal requirements on the gear necessary for outings.
Every time I save money to rig my truck, some other situation comes up where I have to use the funds.

Don’t be demoralised by the few replies.
It's only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Just a side point here, but I think it needs to be reminded of, and that is that if one is making use of the club's "blanket" VHF radio licence, one needs to be a paid up member for it to be valid.

On that point alone it makes it worth it to belong since going the ORRA route for a licence is already more than the club fees. :winkx:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Jurgen10
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: 2009 Hilux 4.0 V6 Raider DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC239

Post by Jurgen10 »

We mainly use the Hilux for towing and launching the boat or towing the camping trailer , and we try to do at least one long overland trip per year.

I find that I'd much rather ask any type of question pertaining to the hilux on this forum and getting few but accurate or factual responses, than asking on another forum where almost every post turns into a mud slinging fest.

I am not active involved in the club, and having any free time over weekends with 3 school going children is near to impossible.

I will renew again even if it is only for the radio licenses and keeping this forum alive .
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Morning all, very valid points made here. I have also found myself overloaded with commitments.
The one major factor is the cost of things, with that said I avoid obstacle driving nowadays.

Another point to remember guys, if your membership lapses, so does your radio license. So please make sure you have a valid license, whether it be through another club or ORRA.
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Licences are no longer available from ORRA because neither this forum nor the club are members of ORRA. Hence, ORRA will not be able to assist you in that respect. The Cluib Licence here is an absolute bargain - I know what these individual licences cost the club each year!

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Family_Dog wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:17 pm Licences are no longer available from ORRA because neither this forum nor the club are members of ORRA. Hence, ORRA will not be able to assist you in that respect. The Cluib Licence here is an absolute bargain - I know what these individual licences cost the club each year!

-F_D
Thanks for the update Uncle Eric, we are currently busy with a "clamp down" on frequencies. Especially these Boefeng operators.
:shh:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

I agree with most of what has been said here. I am also known to call a spade a shovel, so can view my opinion when I feel the need.
My position is that I travel quite a bit, so I will view a lot of things, including the outings in the Western Cape & OFS,
but can only get actively involved in those that would be within striking distance.
I tried to get to the outing near Virginia, but as it was not while I was in the area, I met Baasvark (Shane) in Virginia and the I met Johan in Parys.
It was great to meet the guys, but I could add no value to the Western Cape and other outings, as I could be a 1 000 km away, but do look; just in case I could join them.
I keep an eye open for the get together in our area, but I am not always here or may have other commitments at the time,
but have been to a few, all of which I enjoyed thoroughly. I have also been the only member at a GTG in Natal, but there were work commitments that played a role in that one.
Outings should be organised well in advance (most are), but there is most definitely a lack of interest from members.
The members who do not get involved should say what their expectations are and what is not being met by the Forum/Club.
I for one still have a yellow sticker with black numbers/letters - X 111 - Orra Licence, for which we had size and color.
My Hilux Club (HC - 149) - if that is my number, never had finalization on size, although I think the color was black lettering om a white back ground.
If this was ever finalized, I do not know about it, but mine is not displayed, so I do not even switch my radio on, unless I am at a Club Function.
This is not a yearly function, so my radio is an expensive item to maintain with very limited use.
My subs payment also becomes a problem, as the acknowledgement of payment is not always forthcoming, then I get banned until I can prove payment which was made time-ously.
I do understand that this is due to members using their private time to do Forum Duties, but threats are really not appreciated or worrisome to people lying on their death-beds.
This is a great forum and I have really met some knowledgeable great people on this Forum. It is not always about having the same point of view as everyone else, but the different points of view is what satisfies the curiosities and needs of everyone on the Forum.
Remember, what is better than yours is not necessary the best, it's just better than yours.
We are all different and all kiss our wives/girlfriends differently.
Not having camping gear, is not an excuse. As youngsters we used to sleep on the sand around the campfire.
If it rained we slept under the vehicle for shelter.
Don't look for excuses not to do something, find an excuse to join in the camping week-end.
I don't particularly like doing trails as my vehicle is now also my home, but Hennie can testify, that I will drive where necessarily to get to where I am going, irrespective of the terrain, that needs to be covered, to get there...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Dowe Koos

Post by Dowe Koos »

Hi Ricky. The 4x4 outing was never about competitions. It is just a day out away from the city, to be in the nature, Making new friends and seeing old friends. Most of the tracks is mostly 2nd or 3rd grade which is easy. Here and there, you did find 4 or 5th grade. I can tell you for sure, in over landing you will find a lot of bad-ass obstacles, badder than these you will find at 4x4 outing.
About Edge, I can tell you, He know more about 4x4 driving than me with all my 4x4 outing and over landing experiences. I believe that for beginners, it is good to get experience at the 4x4 trails outing. A man can learn a lot there.
Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Bear »

Dowe Koos wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:49 pm Hi Ricky. The 4x4 outing was never about competitions. It is just a day out away from the city, to be in the nature, Making new friends and seeing old friends. Most of the tracks is mostly 2nd or 3rd grade which is easy. Here and there, you did find 4 or 5th grade. I can tell you for sure, in over landing you will find a lot of bad-ass obstacles, badder than these you will find at 4x4 outing.
About Edge, I can tell you, He know more about 4x4 driving than me with all my 4x4 outing and over landing experiences. I believe that for beginners, it is good to get experience at the 4x4 trails outing. A man can learn a lot there.
I hear what you saying and I agree that one will find a lot of bad-ass obstacles in over landing. Maybe I need to do 4x4 trails outing for the experience.
It is just that I’ve seen videos of friends doing competitions / obstacles and it sometimes really damages the vehicles. It is ok for them as the vehicles are built for competitions /obstacles and they have separate vehicles for outings.
But as you say “A man can learn a lot there”
Thanks.
Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Bear »

Haboob wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:29 pm We are all different and all kiss our wives/girlfriends differently.
Not having camping gear, is not an excuse. As youngsters we used to sleep on the sand around the campfire.
If it rained we slept under the vehicle for shelter.
Don't look for excuses not to do something, find an excuse to join in the camping week-end.
Hi Edge
These points were directed to me.
As you state - “We are all different and all kiss our wives/girlfriends differently.
If it rained we slept under the vehicle for shelter.”

It is a little contradictory as your first statement states that we all are different and then you expect me to be like to be like you, sleep on the sand …
You also stated “as youngsters”. That means you were brought up doing outings in those conditions and seem comfortable with that.

I was not exposed to these things growing up so it will be difficult for me to adapt to these types of scenarios. If I had to go on a weekend outing, I will require shower and bathroom facilities etc. I do not require a plush place, just some basic necessities.

There is an English saying – “Different strokes for different folks”

You need to understand, it is not an excuse, that’s just me, the way I was brought up. We all are different and have different needs.
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Haboob »

You are on the mark Ricky.
It was not a snide remark on you, but just a way of saying that an outing need not cost an arm and a leg, so we need not find excuses not to do something.
I am not saying that you are a youngster or like me. The sleeping on the sand was done on the beaches around our coastline. I am just using this as an example.
Most 4 WD Tracks have a campsite in the vicinity. These normally have bathrooms with hot/cold water, so right up your ally.
If you need to wash, without facilities, read under; Useful Articles, "Tips on Camping/Over Landing" how to wash in a liter of water, with Elizabeth Anne's Baby Shampoo.
This explanation can be found under paragraph 27).
Make a plan and get out there. Most trails have chicken runs, to avoid an obstacle that you are not comfortable doing.
It does not mean that you are incapable as a driver, but just not prepared or experienced enough to take on that particular obstacle
This way you build up your confidence and will then get to know how to drive certain situations, by learning from others, who do that particular obstacle.
As I've said, my vehicle is my home, so I do not attend any function to break anything, as then I would be homeless.
I will take a chicken run before I damage my vehicle, Or do something that I am not comfortable with.
Snide remarks do not concern me, at my age I am immune.
My vehicle is a camper and not a competition vehicle, so not built to do major obstacles, even less so than a standard vehicle.
The camper weighs in at a minimum of three tonnes, at any time it leaves the tarmac, so will always be a disadvantage, to even a stock standard Hilux.
Hennie is just being diplomatic and I am no better than any other man, but probably a lot worse than most.
Hennie is also not someone who will let you down and is very capable at anything he sets his mind to.
Someone that has something to teach anyone who will listen to his wisdom, especially me...
Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Bear »

Well it is actually good to clear up the air as there seem to be confusion on the original post. The first post by Johan sparked something, thus my contribution to the topic. Hearing about the club, which I am not a member of as yet and comparing it to the forum where my concerns were that there are so many views yet so little contribution. Is this because of the lack of knowledge on topics discussed or is there a segregation?

I was on a few other forums where I picked up that there is some kind of segregation so I exited myself from those forums. Here the guys are friendly and provide good advice but then again it is just a handful that responds all the time.

Getting back to the point of outings. Most of you guys are very experienced and know the requirements of outings. My fear was that I am just a “NEWBIE” to the 4x4 world. Not having the proper gear for an outing will make me uncomfortable and possibly an outcast. I also explained that I am single and most trips are family orientated. So does that incorporate me or leaves me to be totally self-sufficient?

However I look forward to the advice of all you experienced guys.
Hopefully someday we all can meet at some exciting outing.
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Haboob »

Camping and 4X4 driving are similar in the fact that most participants will gladly share their knowledge.
For the uninformed, it is difficult to judge who the smart jacks are and who has the knowledge.
If someone tries to force you or ridicules you, when you are unsure, BEWARE. They want to see you fail.
Encouragement and assistance must be seen in a different light...
Concerning the right gear; there is no wrong or right gear, but what works for you.
Gear is expensive, but most of the things on the market are nice to have's, not necessities.
Read the Tips on Camping/Over Landing I referred you to earlier. This should give you the confidence to start from scratch.
Remember that this is a learning curve, but you can avoid many of the money Pitts.
The longest journey is started with the first step. Take it and never look back...
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Ricky, I think I've been here over 10 yrs now and I've seen guys (and ladies) come and go. I don't think there is a bad vibe or segregation as you put it, but I think it's more of a case of someone joining to get info or to learn the ropes. Once they have got the hang of it (been there, done that syndrome as mentioned before), then some of those persons loose interest and become dormant.

Not everyone sticks around to share knowledge and advice unfortunately but thankfully there are still some that do.

Scott
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Scott »

agree with a lot said did not read everyone comments but agree with a lot said.
look we all know money is scares.
maybe we should way in on the criteria for a day trip or weekend trip and then see interest.
E.G
distance from East Rand/Centurion etc
track must have escape routes above level 3
ablutions
things to do at venue
etc
not make to long and then suggest venues.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Dont get me wrong, I feel as strongly about this club and about the continued existence of the club as the next guy. I saddens me also to see how things are turning out.

Face it, it's not about money, or about having time.. We lost one thing. The camaraderie we had 12 years ago on this forum is gone.. People moved on, and the new blood that came are doing things differently, which dont always fall in with the ways of the outoppies, so they leave, or go where other people do things the way they want to do it.

By the way, isnt it almost time for an AGM again? look at the way the AGM's are attended, and decide for yourself if the Club is healthy.
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Bear »

ThysdJ wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:34 am Dont get me wrong, I feel as strongly about this club and about the continued existence of the club as the next guy. I saddens me also to see how things are turning out.

Face it, it's not about money, or about having time.. We lost one thing. The camaraderie we had 12 years ago on this forum is gone.. People moved on, and the new blood that came are doing things differently, which dont always fall in with the ways of the outoppies, so they leave, or go where other people do things the way they want to do it.

By the way, isnt it almost time for an AGM again? look at the way the AGM's are attended, and decide for yourself if the Club is healthy.
Well I’m just a newbie to the forum and I picked up a long time ago something is not so right. I stayed on the forum because of a few friendly guys. You obviously seem to know something by your statements.

They say we have freedom of speech in this country. Realistically we do not. You will get arrested for voicing your opinion.
In this forum people should have their freedom of speech, doing it diplomatically though but directly.

As you say the “the new blood that came are doing things differently”.
The “outoppies” need to speak up in order to get it where it used to be.
If no comprises can be met then the “new bloods” should be asked to exit the forum and the club. There is no use having a disoriented forum or club.

I personally will not want to be a part of the forum or club knowing that I am not really welcome there. I would rather exit, then them. After all it was them who created the forum and the club.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Hmmmm ..... I don't know how much merit there is in what Thys is saying. I think there is some truth in that the young-bloods do things a bit differently from us oldies but a lot of the "ou toppies" aren't around any more either. People come and go, some stick around longer than others and truth be told, we need the young bloods to step up as well .... we're not going to be around forever either. That goes for both forum and club.

Social networking / media has changed a lot since the early days of the forum and club and the popularity of platforms like FB and Watsapp has kind of exploded. They certainly have their merits with ease of access through mobile devices probably being one of the bigger ones. The forum on a mobile device is a bit more cumbersome to navigate, I think. So in that respect may loose some lustre. A lot of the traffic that we used to enjoy here is diverted in favour of those platforms.

The disadvantage they have is that useful info just gets lost somewhere back in the history whereas the forum is a structured menu where such info can be retrieved far more easily. But it often means that you need to be sitting behind your PC or laptop to search the threads and read through a plethora of posts.

Whatever the reasons for the so called lack of interest, it would be great if we could get that camaraderie back. It may well be that we need to adapt in some way? Maybe we need more input as to where the problems lie so that they can be addressed.

We are all ears. :winkx:

Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

Thys' comments do resonate (although finances are an issue, but I suppose it's also a case of where there's a will there's a way)

I really miss the old crowd from the 2010/11/12/13 Gauteng GTG's ....and as they stopped going so did I...and yes, very anti social on my part , that's a fact.
In typical South African fashion we want to sit and wallow in our gripes & groans and expect everyone else to do something about it. Times have changed, people moved on...and I can say hand on heart that I battle with change

Maybe we ought to just go out and get together, have a good time and others will join...and I guess we don't have to go obstacle bashing...maybe a beer at a local pub or someone's house.
Heaven knows I can probably drive De Wildt with my eyes closed in reverse... but nothing stops me from riding with someone inexperienced to show them the ropes, and if I read between the lines, Is that possibly one of the reason's the GTG's are dying a slow death?
Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Bear »

Thanks for the insight Mud Dog.

I think Stef has a point.
Maybe the guys ought to just go out and get together with no obstacle bashing. Just a social event at some good mutual venue. Maybe just a bring and braai and dops and just how there are old fisherman tail,s I’m sure there are some 4x4 tails to be said.
Johan Havenga
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Johan Havenga »

Bear wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:47 am Thanks for the insight Mud Dog.

I think Stef has a point.
Maybe the guys ought to just go out and get together with no obstacle bashing. Just a social event at some good mutual venue. Maybe just a bring and braai and dops and just how there are old fisherman tail,s I’m sure there are some 4x4 tails to be said.

Hi Ricky,

We did that last year and 3 people turned up. :(
Johan Havenga
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Johan Havenga »

Scott wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:26 pm agree with a lot said did not read everyone comments but agree with a lot said.
look we all know money is scares.
maybe we should way in on the criteria for a day trip or weekend trip and then see interest.
E.G
distance from East Rand/Centurion etc
track must have escape routes above level 3
ablutions
things to do at venue
etc
not make to long and then suggest venues.
Hi Rodney,

I am busy planning something with discounted prices (I need to pay the landlord!) with showers where you can sleep! :)

Remember the days at OutdoorX?

Johan
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Haboob »

"Hi Ricky,

We did that last year and 3 people turned up."

I think that sometimes we try to measure our worth on the crowd we can draw.
I mentioned that I attended a function on my own (with SWAMBO).
I must also add that it was great and we really enjoyed ourselves.
We met other like minded people there and really enjoyed ourselves.
We would not have gone there, had we not been invited, so it was really great that we saw and enjoyed that area.
The two meetings we had in the OFS were also great, where we actually met club members and socialized with them...
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Stef »

Haboob wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:43 pm

I think that sometimes we try to measure our worth on the crowd we can draw.
Very True...
Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Bear »

I see your guy’s points.
The best then would be whoever wants to do an outing and requires the company to advertise it. Who turns up, turns up. It will all depend if the venue is of interest to others, availability, etc.
Not much more that can be done.

Return to “Gauteng”