Chips vs Mapping

Discuss modifications on your new shape Hilux here. 2005 till current. Also called the Vigo in other countries.
Mikehill
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilux D4D. DC 4x4

Chips vs Mapping

Post by Mikehill »

I have read the discussions re Chips but ask the following question :
What is the difference chips / mapping.
My D4D has done 350000km and has to do another 3
50 000 because I cannot afford another, I am happy at 120 and get 10km per litre
Am I wasting my time looking at this issue
Jaws
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Sharonlea
Vehicle: 2009 D4D 4x4

Re: Chips vs Mapping

Post by Jaws »

Mikehill wrote:I have read the discussions re Chips but ask the following question :
What is the difference chips / mapping.
My D4D has done 350000km and has to do another 3
50 000 because I cannot afford another, I am happy at 120 and get 10km per litre
Am I wasting my time looking at this issue
Mike personally I would recommend that you stay away from any chips if you are planning to drive for another few years.

The extra performance comes at a price

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

:thumbup:
muki
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4d D/C 4x4 A/T

Post by muki »

If you happy with something that works, don't try to fix it would be my advice

Sent from my ANE-LX2 using Tapatalk

Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Good advice given in the above posts! :thumbup:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Well,

I can write a VERY long post on this topic but in short:

Unichip.

The ONLY chip that gets installed on YOUR vehicle and then the maps is setup on YOUR vehicle and YOUR vehicle is dyno tuned for it to perform flawless whilst all safety parameters are checked.

Other chips that just gets plugged in on the fuel rail or where ever can only alter certain parameters at a set % - basically it is just an expensive box full of resistors.

Mapping...mmmm...although the maps are written for a vehicle, eg 3.0 D4D, it is most likely not checked on a dyno for engine safety. AND the original programming can NEVER be recovered, ie. it is irreversible. Futher point is that I have it on very good authority that ToySA know hoe and where to check for software upgrades and will definitely look at it if you have a warrantee claim.

You must ran fast and far from the guy who promises huge power gains - irresponsible tuning(and power) WILL kill your engine!

Always ask about what guarantee your chipper/mapper offer. Get it and writing and ask yourself if they can replace your cars engine THIS week if they screw it up - ie. can they perform on their warrantee? Truth is, most mappers do it from the boot of their car and can not offer the above warrantee.

And to save R1000/2000 on a chip after spending R3/4/5/600 000 on a car just does not make sense! Go for the best system with the best warrantee available!

- I have no interrest in the Unichip brand, just a very happy customer with more that 600 000 Unichipped KM's under the belt!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2200 Raider D/Cab 4x4 - SFA

Post by Bear »

Good morning Mikehill

To answer your question simply:

Chips - Every modern car has an engine chip, which is part of the ECU (electronic control unit), that monitors how much fuel and air goes into the engine as well as the exhaust gases that come out.

Mapping – The original chip on the ECU cannot be altered or customised to your needs. An aftermarket chip needs to be used and the programming of it is the mapping.

Any vehicle can handle approximately 30% more power from the factory spec. But that’s brand-new. By chipping you would put additional strain on an engine which already has 350000km on clock, shortening the lifespan of the engine.

I agree with “JAWS”, he may try to frighten us with his big teeth, LOL, but he has given good advice.
"Mike personally I would recommend that you stay away from any chips if you are planning to drive for another few years.
The extra performance comes at a price."

I suggest you use a good quality engine oil and service regularly. I personally prefer to change engine oil between 5000 to 8000 Km, that’s just me.
Manufactures give different specs. They don’t care of the longevity of your engine. They know you will either support them for new spares or a new vehicle.
Travel is not really about leaving our homes, but leaving our habits.
Adventure tends to magnify all human emotions.
It's only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux DC 3.0 D4D

Post by pampoen »

Perhaps if you want to get some more performance, install a free flow exhaust( A good one, do your research) and get a front mounted intercooler, this is by far the most reliable power, it would be allowing cooler intake temps and more flow out and would probably extend the lifespan of the motor, only downside is that I have noticed a slight lag compared with a friends 4d4.
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.
dalkill
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

beware of fitting free flow on D4d:

https://www.hilux4x4.co.za/views/viewto ... =3&t=42524

"
I have a short exhaust that is very free flowing, makes a fantastic sound and causes the turbo to spool up rapidly. This however causes increased wear on the turbo actuator ring. This ring sits inside the turbo body and controls the VNT vanes. The turbo stepper motor moves this ring about with a little lever. This lever is a close running fit in the actuator ring. With time and use this fit becomes either too loose or too tight due to carbon or wear. This leads to a delayed reaction in boost reduction and ultimately a P1251.
I had this exhaust fitted in May 2016 and did a 12000km trip through Botswana, Nam, Zim and back without issue. Its only in the last 5000km since the trip that the issues have started.
"
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
pampoen
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux DC 3.0 D4D

Post by pampoen »

I hear you Dalkill, I however have done close on 20000km with my bakkie since Ive owned it and no issues yet. The exhaust runs along the original lines as the old one, the only difference is removal of cat and bigger bore.
With each replacement of parts, a car slowly becomes Chinese.
zammo
Town: traralgon
Vehicle: 2007 hilux

Post by zammo »

if you value your car dont chip it , it will only cause you headaches and a lot of money .. believe me im speaking from experience .. mapping on the other hand on a dyno is safe and you will notice a remarkable difference in performance
Cheetah Drakie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2.7i

Post by Cheetah Drakie »

Can't comment on the new fangled oil burners :yahoo:

I had the ful SAC conversion done on my 2700i 1999 SRX Double Cab 4x4 at 525 000km. As a special favour I got a racing cam and stainless steel valves, as a bonus. It has certainly made a difference, to my power delivery. The 3RZ-FE block is almost indestructible. Read reports that these blocks are used in the States to build 500 hp drag racers.

I am very happy with my Hilux post the SAC conversion. Recently replaced my Cowley branch with a Viper, and I can't say I feel any difference. My ODO is currently on 595 000 km and still going strong. The Hilux still uses virtually no oil or water. In the 14 years I have owned her, I have only topped up oil twice between services.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

zammo wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:18 pm if you value your car dont chip it , it will only cause you headaches and a lot of money .. believe me im speaking from experience .. mapping on the other hand on a dyno is safe and you will notice a remarkable difference in performance
Sorry to say but I have to disagree - and strongly so.

When you have mapping or software done on you car, the ecu gets wiped completely! Poof! Gone is all the factory safety parameters!

And now you trust a snotkop with a laptop to write a new map for your car without ANY design parameters or even test equipment?

For the life of me I cannot understand how anyone is willing to risk a very expensive piece of equipment(the engine) and trust a guy that has no or very little engine design experience nor any equipment to test his product?

In the tuning world, you run the fastest and furthest away from the guy that promises huge power gains. Sure, you might get the 30 or 50% increase in power, but how long will the engine last? And can this tuner replace the engine at his expense before the weekend?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.

Return to “Late 2005 - 2016 Hilux (Gen 6 aka Vigo-shape)”