Noisy lifter on '93 4Y

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Hilux Heap
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Brakpan
Vehicle: '93 Hilux Raider 4x4 DC. Basic offroad frt bumper with Warn Tabor 9k winch, Roll bar, Towbar, std half door fiberglass canopy with roofrack. 2x 65 lt fuel tanks, 31x10.5R15 HT tyres

Noisy lifter on '93 4Y

Post by Hilux Heap »

Hello everyone,

On Friday I heard that one of the hydraulic lifters was a bit noisy, but it went away after a while. On Saturday morning the same thing happened bu it was noisy for much longer and kept on returning when the bakkie idle.

Yesterday, it was real bad. The noisy lifter does not stop making a noise. The bakkie is still about 3000km from the next service. I checked the oil, it's still clean and not sticky.

What can I do to fix this (silence the lifter)? Clean or replace?

As a last resort I assume I will have to take out the lifters.

Waiting on your advice

Thanks
Image,Image

You only have ONE LIFE!! Live it........................... with a Hilux!!!!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Noisy lifter on '93 4Y

Post by Mud Dog »

In addition to my PM on this, what mileage is on the motor?
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Hilux Heap
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: '93 Hilux Raider 4x4 DC. Basic offroad frt bumper with Warn Tabor 9k winch, Roll bar, Towbar, std half door fiberglass canopy with roofrack. 2x 65 lt fuel tanks, 31x10.5R15 HT tyres

Post by Hilux Heap »

Sorry Andy, didn't see the post here.

As I said the engine has 478 000 km on the clock.

I managed to find Bretton's post on the Chev lifters which are an identocal spec to the 4Y lifters. Does anyone have an idea which Chev lifters are used. The part number supplied (VL93) seems to be discontinued.

Thanks,
Image,Image

The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Andre you can get those chevy hydraulic lifters from Masterparts (PTY) LTD in Kenilworth Tel nr 021 657 5757(Address given to me by Bretton)
Part nr HYT04-04. I paid R 39.01 a lifter but that was in 2011

Remember to bleed them first before you put them in otherwise you will not get your engine started.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Hilux Heap
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Hilux Heap »

Thanks Dawie :thumbup: . The lifters are still available at R 45 each, excluding courier cost from Durban to Jhb.

Also, can I use a 15W40 oil in the 4Y?

Thanks,
Image,Image

BKRITZ
Town: GEORGE
Vehicle: HILUX SFA 2.4 diesel

Post by BKRITZ »

I will recommend CASTROL MAGNATEK for those lifters. I had the same problom on a mercedes 300e and after I changed to Magnatek no problems.
Hilux Heap
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Hilux Heap »

Thanks Barend, will keep that in mind.

Does anyone have any experience with Megatron Oils?
My daughter works for a company who only uses Megatron and Ultron oils in their Machines.
The specific oil I am looking at is an API 15W40 CI-4/SL.

CI-4 is an indicator that it is for use in Diesel engines, but the SL also indicates that it is for use in Petrol engines. Similat to Shell Helix 15W40 which is for Petrol and Diesel engines.

I would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks,
Image,Image

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I would just use the Helix and forget about the rest, especially the Magnatek which breaks down too easily.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Hilux Heap
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Hilux Heap »

Thanks Andy. I use the Helix in my wife's Micra, and I cannot complain about the oil. Maybe just stick to that then.
Image,Image

Return to “The Workshop”