toyota 4y

Discuss any other type vehicles here.
W0ODY
Town: durban
Vehicle: gwm

toyota 4y

Post by W0ODY »

Hi guys,I have a toyota 4y engine in my double cab bakkie,I heard abt the chevy lifters from masterparts n I have ordd them,I jus wanted to know if it will make a difference by changing my stock lifters with the chevy lifters,and if it jus swops out or if there is other steps for it to fit and work ...please update me with any info on this,and also contacts numbers where I can get mods to increase performance like cams,valve springs,etc...
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Re: toyota 4y

Post by The Legend »

Hi Videsh

Welcome to the forum. I also replace the the lifters of my 4y engine with chevy lifters.I am very happy with it .It is very easy to replace them.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
W0ODY

Post by W0ODY »

Ok that's great,so it jus simply fits it normal I take it?and wat differences did u find with ur new lifters ,does it rev higher or increse ur performance or acceleration ?
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by The Legend »

The chevy lifters is high revs lifters.Did not test it on my bakkie to see how high it can revs now.Can not say that I have better performance with it.

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
W0ODY

Post by W0ODY »

Ok thanks for sharing,do u have any other performance mods or info where I can get cams,valve springs for my 4y
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by The Legend »

Do a EFI conversion ,more power for the same fuel consumption as with the carb.

W0ODY

Post by W0ODY »

Cums standard with injection,problem is it limits too early,at 4500 revs and gear ratios r way too short...
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by The Legend »

Read this link for EFI conversion

viewtopic.php?f=92&t=676

The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by The Legend »

Read this link as well.It is a follow up on the previous one.

viewtopic.php?f=92&t=1172

W0ODY

Post by W0ODY »

I've got fuel injection already bro...I want to modify the head abit with bigger valves ,valve springs,lifters n a custom performance cam
W0ODY

Post by W0ODY »

Do I need to send the head to engineers after putn the chevy lifters?does the lifters need to be set or checked for clearance ?
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by The Legend »

You do not have to remove the head to replace the lifters.You only remove the tappet cover ,rocker shaft with rockers and pushrods.No adjustments needed for valve clearance.It is an hydraulic system.Remember to bleed the new lifters before installing them.

W0ODY

Post by W0ODY »

Ok perfect,was jus worried abt clearance ,and is there any other mods u know off for the 4y?please let me know
mthiza
Town: Durban
Vehicle: Toyota Cressida

Post by mthiza »

Hi Team,
I have got a problem here, I replaced a timing chain, push rods, hydraulic lifters (Arco type)after hearing a tick tick sound on my 4Y engine and thereafter the noise was gone for about three months and it came back again.I then replaced the whole rocker shaft and rockers but the noise is still there, what could be the problem here, please help.

Thank you.
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

Post by dax021 »

My 4Y has been making tic tic sounds at idle speeds since I've had it, even after a complete rebuild. I believe it needs a bit of revs to get the oil pressure up in the lifters. I'm not going to tell you to ignore it, but I have done so for years with no consequences (as far as I'm aware)
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Could be that the cam followers are a bit worn. Having replaced the lifters addresses only one end of the hydraulic "cells" and if the followers are a bit worn then there is still some pressure loss through the bigger worn tolerances. Mechanically it's not a problem and the motor will still be happy for years to come but you could try using a slightly thicker oil (like what is sometimes recommended for older motors) if the ticking is indeed stemming from the hydraulic tappets.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “Any Other Vehicle”