Light chain rattle sound

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Rusti
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: capetown
Vehicle: 97 Hilux Raider 2.4

Light chain rattle sound

Post by Rusti »

Hi guys..

I noticed a very light rattling sound the other day when I was driving in 4th gear.. It's a very light sound and seems as if it's coming from inside the cab. It sounds like a chain rattling but dissappear when I change gears.. it's so light I thought it could even just be my keys hanging from the ignition but I held them together when I heard the sound and that's not it.. It's not the gearbox is it...? :surrender:

Ive had my boy for 2 years now and he has 190 000km on him. The previous owner had it serviced regularly with FSH. He is also not the racing type so I'm sure he drove respectfully.. i also dont "race"(funny to use the word race when reffering toan SFA.. My dad and I have kept up the servicing and did a complete oil change last year.

Let me know what you guys think..

Thanks!
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Re: Light chain rattle sound

Post by Mr_B »

Maybe a loose muffler in one of the silencers?? Guessing here! The R22 2.4 does have a timing chain, could it not be time to replace it? They do start "rattling" when old.
Knuppel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Somewhere in Africa
Vehicle: '87 SFA HILUX D/CAB

Post by Knuppel »

Also check the universals on the propshafts. Make sure they are not under tension when you check.
Image Link Broken
Rusti
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Rusti »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the info.. Glad no one has mentioned the gearbox..

I has the timing chain replaced at 4 x lux end of last year.

I'll check the above and keep you posted..

D
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Duane speak to Francois. He WILL get to the bottom of the sound.
Rusti
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Rusti »

Thanks Chris but I'm in the Southern suburbs so it's a 45min drive to him.. I'll try find it myself but if need be I'll take a drive out to him.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Does this happen only when in 4th gear? Is it only when the drive-train is under load (accelerating / going up a hill)?
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
rigardt
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: 2012 DC Hilux D4D
Club VHF Licence: HC348

Post by rigardt »

have you tried this with different pants on ? might be small change rattling in a pocket :tease:
Rusti
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Rusti »

Hi Andy. Yes it was only in 4th.. its such a light noise I switched off the radio and changed between gears to see and it only happened in 4th and only for a short time.. Can't remember 100% but I think it was when I was accelerating.. ive heard it 3 or 4 times. I listened out for it again yesterday but didn't hear a thing.. I'll try listen out for it again the next time I push it a bit or take it up hill. What are you thinking it could be?

Hi Rigardt. It's happened a few times so not my pants I'm afraid.. I hope it turns out to be that simple.

Thanks guys!
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Hmmmm... center bearing maybe? When last was the gearbox and transfer case oil changed?
Rusti
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Rusti »

Hi Bretton,

My dad and I did a full oil change on the whole bakkie end of last year. And the previous owner serviced it regularly too..
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

My '93 work bakkie has considerably less km's on the clock, but it has worked harder than a daily runner. It has had a slightly noisy 4th gear under load for many years now but no problems. If I hear it while climbing a hill I just tap off a fraction if I'm close to the top or I change down.

I wouldn't worry about it too much and IIRC a well know local diff / gearbox workshop told me the same. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Rusti
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Rusti »

Thanks Andy.

I'll still keep an ear open for it and keep you guys posted if anything changes.
Xtreme 4x4
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: edenvale
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Xtreme 4x4 »

I had a similar problem, it turned out to be a bearing on my aircon pulley... maybe check all the bearings and pulleys for all belts...

Return to “The Workshop”