D4D blowing smoke when parked nose down?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Bundyanyone
Town: berwick
Vehicle: hiluxd4d

D4D blowing smoke when parked nose down?

Post by Bundyanyone »

Hi,
My 2005 d4d lux has just had the TURBO replaced..(hard to believe) but due to problem with variable motor fault removed turbo to find shaft very worn. Replaced turbo..... Now have a problem with blue smoke and what seems like engine hydraulicking at start up when park with the nose downhill?? No such proplem when parked level or nose up...Anyone with the same problem?? and what was the outcome??
Mechanic has told me piston blow by?? As a possible cause, as due to high klm.. as the lux has 250,000. on the clock l don't think that is to excessive...
Any help would be appreciated as after forking out $3,800.00 for new turbo running short of funds and faith in the unbreakable!!!
Regards :frustrated: Bundyanyone.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: D4D blowing smoke when parked nose down?

Post by Mud Dog »

Hi Darren and welcome to the forum! :thumbup:

I'm no diesel fundi by any stretch of the imagination, and have never heard of a similar problem. Perhaps the diesel-heads here would be able to assist.

That said, I don't think the milage is excessive. Blue smoke makes me think it's motor oil rather than fuel which is normally a dark or black smoke. This makes me wonder if your mechanic has a point or if it's just valve stem seals. There is also a possibility that it's a cylinder head or head gasket problem ..... I hope for your sake, not.

Hope you get to the bottom of it. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Bundyanyone

Post by Bundyanyone »

Mud Dog wrote:Hi Darren and welcome to the forum! :thumbup:

I'm no diesel fundi by any stretch of the imagination, and have never heard of a similar problem. Perhaps the diesel-heads here would be able to assist.

That said, I don't think the milage is excessive. Blue smoke makes me think it's motor oil rather than fuel which is normally a dark or black smoke. This makes me wonder if your mechanic has a point or if it's just valve stem seals. There is also a possibility that it's a cylinder head or head gasket problem ..... I hope for your sake, not.

Hope you get to the bottom of it. ;-)
Thanks l'm leaning towards valve stem seals....will post more as l now more..seems my HILUX IS BREAKABLE :(
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

If the turbo was blown, is there not perhaps oil in the intake pipes?
Maybe the oil run into the engine when parked with nose down.

A piston or valve stem seals will always blow smoke, not only when parked at a slope.

Many moons ago I bought a little Golf to fix a resell. It had this strange problem when you go fast around a right turn, it blew out white smoke. Turning left had no effect.
It turned out that the brake master cylinder was leaking brake fluid into the brake booster, to the extend that the booster was filled with brake fluid. So each time you turned to the right it sucked brake fluid into the vacuum hose.

Maybe you have the same here, there is oil laying in the hoses or the intercooler and when parked at a slope it runs down.

I would start with the small stuff. Clean the intercooler and air intake hoses.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Vlak vark
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Phalaborwa
Vehicle: 1995 hilux D/c 4x4 Legend 25 Kzt with top mounted intercooler. long range tank. hankook dynapro duel battery system

Post by Vlak vark »

Were the correct oil used then serviced. Sounds to me like the valve guides have excisive wear. When you start up, is there a vavle lifter ticking for a short while and then everyting is smooth running. Is so you have worn out guides. The only way the oil can pass to the piston is by worn valve guides an valve stem seals, and by piston slag. Both of them will give you sump compression.
One life, one dream, one toyota
Bundyanyone

Post by Bundyanyone »

pietpetoors wrote:If the turbo was blown, is there not perhaps oil in the intake pipes?
Maybe the oil run into the engine when parked with nose down.

A piston or valve stem seals will always blow smoke, not only when parked at a slope.

Many moons ago I bought a little Golf to fix a resell. It had this strange problem when you go fast around a right turn, it blew out white smoke. Turning left had no effect.
It turned out that the brake master cylinder was leaking brake fluid into the brake booster, to the extend that the booster was filled with brake fluid. So each time you turned to the right it sucked brake fluid into the vacuum hose.

Maybe you have the same here, there is oil laying in the hoses or the intercooler and when parked at a slope it runs down.

I would start with the small stuff. Clean the intercooler and air intake hoses.
Thanks for the info, had intercooler cleaned agian(cleaned it three months ago before replacing turbo )will see how it goes......
Bundyanyone

Post by Bundyanyone »

[quote="Vlak vark"]Were the correct oil used then serviced. Sounds to me like the valve guides have excisive wear. When you start up, is there a vavle lifter ticking for a short while and then everyting is smooth running. Is so you have worn out guides. The only way the oil can pass to the piston is by worn valve guides an valve stem seals, and by piston slag. Both of them will give you sump compression.

Thanks for the heads up,you have the same ideas l have, l'm thinking worn valve guides ? Only problem with that as my mechanic and myself can't make sense why it only blows smoke when nose down!!! if as you would think if valve guides or piston slap the engine would blow smoke any angle??? This is the problem do l pull down the engine and replace valve guides and rebore ?? or leave it and just park up hill......and hope everything will be ok!!!!! :alvarin:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

It could be that the internal shape of the head is such that when facing uphill the oil runs down the galleries much better than when facing downhill, and when facing downhill there may be oil pooling around the valve stems. Those were my thoughts when I mentioned it earlier.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Tone
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux d4d

Post by Tone »

I am having the exact same issue with the same vehicle.
Did you find the problem? Or better yet, the solution??
Tony
BLOUBULLTROKKIE
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: gauteng
Vehicle: HILUX D/C SRX 4X4 2.5 DIESEL & 2.7 VVTI S/C HILUX

Post by BLOUBULLTROKKIE »

I checked my 2.5 between the tapedcover and airfilter pipe is a breater pipe the angle of the pipe is so that when u park down hill the oil in the pipe runs into the terbo ,at 270 000 km my lux breaths litle bit of smoke take the pipe and check if there's eny acsess oil in the pipe ,a mac told me once if u go down a hill leave exsalerator on about 2500 rpm u craete a vacume in the intake and if it smokes then it is vealve stem seals
Tone
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux d4d

Post by Tone »

Thanks Blou, I will definitely check that!
MikeNewc
Town: Colchester
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D D/cab

Post by MikeNewc »

My Hilux D4d is doing the same thing. I first noticed engine oil leaking out of the intake manifold down the bell housing via the EGR valve shaft. The intercooler had oil in it too. Replacing the air filter and reconditioning the turbo had no effect. Checking the intake tube where the engine breather tees in confirms that the oil is entering via the breather. Australian forums suggest that blow by occurs on the injector seals. I will be checking this next. They also warn that the blow by causes carboning of the oil which could block the oil pump pickup strainer.
MikeNewc
Town: Colchester
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D D/cab

Post by MikeNewc »

Replacing the copper washers and O-rings on the injectors solved the problem. However, problem occurred again recently (15 months later).
The reason for smoking when parked nose down is because there are weep holes in the head behind the valve lifters, that allow oil to run off the head into the injector tubes when engine is inclined toward the front
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Thanks for the good post Michael.

Return to “The Workshop”