Pool Repair

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Pool Repair

Post by Stef »

I'm sure someone here has some advice/clues...

My Marbelite pool suddenly developed a small crack with the first cold snap. I'm not going to pat R30k to have the whole pool done with marbelite again.

I'm looking for an epoxy/ sealant for the purpose that i can work into the fracture en re-marbelite just the 1st 5mm off the crack. Anyone that knows where I can find it?
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Re: Pool Repair

Post by Mr_B »

At a pool shop! :twisted:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

It won't be effective for long, Stef. The shell has cracked for a reason - it became stressed and the possible causes for this are many. The reality is that the stress fracture will open / close (depending on the underlying reasons - like heaving clay for example) and that unfortunately the shell is terminally compromised.

You can attempt repairs, but they will end up being a recurring requirement. For many folk this is preferable since it's cheaper (in the short to medium term especially) and less disruptive than a complete shell rebuild - in addition, a new shell may also eventually crack if the original cause is not determined and adequately addressed.

I have to admit that I personally would also be inclined to do repairs as and when the need arises. Glass fibre would be easier and longer lasting since the repair would form both a chemical and mechanical bond, but a concrete shell relies mostly on a mechanical bond.

Best is to chop it open, about 150mm wide and down to the reinforcing and then to re-caulk the excavated area (work it in thoroughly) with a stiff concrete mix using crusher dust for the aggregate and "Dri-Kon" as an additive (follow the manufacturer's instructions by premixing with the water). Dri-Kon will seal the concrete against moisture ingress, speed up curing time and result in a harder concrete. Use a ratio of 5:3:1 - aggregate:cement:sand. Allow surface space for marbelite topping, approx 12mm depth.

The best time to do it is after a long dry spell so that the surrounding water table can drop sufficiently so as not to result in seepage while you work and also so as not to exert undue external pressure on the shell once it has been emptied.

Maybe not what you wanted to hear, but hope that it helps. Have fun!! :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Andy is it an option to do a complete glass fibre finish of the inside of the bath ?

certainly very costly .... but is this the long term answer ??
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

I believe in a Fibreglass coating!

Praat met my as jy die Fibreglass roete wil gaan.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Fibreglass makes sense to me as well.
The concrete can move behind the fibre glass and the fibre glass can stay in tact.

The other option of course is a veggie garden.
A pool cost you money and it is not energy efficient.
A veggie garden is not only good for your health but also generate extra oxygen which we need to survive.

Instead of spending all your time cleaning the pool you can spend your time weeding the garden.

If your wife always argued that the pool is good for the kids, so is a veggie garden. Veggie gardens bring you closer to nature and teaches you where healthy food comes from.

The nice thing of a veggie garden is after heavy rain it also turns green, just like your pool, but in this case green is good and you do not have to use expensive chemicals to get rid of the green, you can actually eat it.

So it is either R30k for fiberglass or R2k for 10 cubes of fertile soil. :cooldude:
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Pieter, I just love that cynical humour! :laugh2:

Yes, the fibre inner shell is definitely an option as well and can also be a costly exercise, BUT ......

You have to bear in mind that the fibre inner will bond very well to the old marbelite surface because of it's rougher texture (mechanical bond) and that it will not move independently if the old shell 'flexes'. Additionally, the weight / pressure of the water will also inhibit any independent movement. That said, fibre is nowhere near as rigid as concreter, so if the flexing of the old shell is small, it may cope without tearing / cracking, but if the old crack continues to widen / open, the fibre will fail after some time as well. Not entirely the end of the world, because of the ease with which fibre can be repaired.

(I once repaired a fibre pool that had been installed on a slope with excavation on the higher side and back-fill on the lower side. The pool had torn completely through as the back-fill subsided - a poor job by the original installer. We re-excavated and stabilized the complete slope below the pool, stitched the pieces of the shell together and re-glassed it inside and out. Some 15 years later when last I knew of, it was still intact - that was then already more than 3 times longer than it lasted with the original installation). The point is that if the cause can be addressed the repair will hold with a glass shell.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Ou vale1
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Heidelberg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5 D4D

Post by Ou vale1 »

Alcolin Aquamend werk, het 'n kraak in die swembad lig reggemaak en hou nog na 5 jaar. Jy kan dit onderwater gebruik, hoef nie leeg te maak nie.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Epoxy putty soos Pratley's werk ook onder water, maar dit sal nie hou as daar enige beweging is in daai kraak.

Ou vale1
Town: Heidelberg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5 D4D

Post by Ou vale1 »

For the cost I suppose it's worth the try.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Tx guys

We have red soil & believe me it's rock hard; if I leave the flower beds too long you need a pick to get in there so I doubt if the it is movement in the surrounding soil. Could just be a stop/start joint that did not bond 100%

looking at 2 options:

1) short term sealant route; hopefully becomes long term
2) excavate outside the shell; install rebar "staples" over the crack; box & fill with concrete. Then open the crack inside the pool somewhat and put sealant in and remarbelite the top 12mm

The bit where it leaks quickly is the top 100mm on the 2 rows of tiles; dropped 50 mm in a day; then 4-5 days on the next 50mm and roughly 4 weeks on the last 50mm

Return to “Open Discussion”