Rant About Toyota Pricing

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Nick S
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bedfordview
Vehicle: 3L Legend 45 D4D 4x4 DC/AT. RSI Canopy, Snorkel and Radio
Club VHF Licence: HC219

Rant About Toyota Pricing

Post by Nick S »

Howzit Hilux Mense.

As some of you are probably aware, I was relieved of my Hilux on Sunday. After all the commotion of insurance etc I had started shopping for a new car. Obviously I was thinking Hilux, Hilux or Hilux?

The Experience went straight to a sour note when I was told that the old T18 and T 19 models are no longer available especially not in white, So for now my options are the Legend 45, which only comes in black leather interior, which I don't particularly like AND its about 20k more expensive, Or a Dakar, leather and even MORE expensive with leather interior and it will be the only available option come month end. AND there is a price increase effective month end. :blackeye:

So I decided to be THAT customer that pins a few dealers up on a board and let them fight it out and compare quotes...
It came down to Imperial Bedfordview and Mcarthy Edenvale.

Both quoted on a 3LD4D AT 4X4 Legend 45 with the following extras:
Melville and Moon seat covers
Anti Smash and Grab Film
Rubber rising 5 mm
Spare wheel Lock
RSI Stainless Steel Canopy with Cab Slider
Outback Centre Roof Console

Now I know I went a bit bos on the extras but my hilux had the same amount of extras in it.

The quote from Bedfordview was R 521,803.08
And Edenvale was R521 397.00

Which is a shock as I got mine for almost 70k less, extras included 18 moths ago.

To make matter worse... the 3.2L Ranger 4x4 auto with these accessories is R 506 750.00 :taunt:

When asked to budge on price both companies would move 2 or 300 rand. that is all.
What a mission...... :surrender:
To build bridges, you need to go to where the rivers are.
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Re: Rant About Toyota Pricing

Post by Stef »

Rediculous....the know they will make sales targets anyway.
I've given up on owning a D4D....seems you are better off buying it new, but at that price no way. Last quote I got was R472k with the bumpers etc on a normal 2014 model

My SFA might be a bit thirsty...but 4km/l less on a holiday trip once year does not equate to one installment in terms of extra fuel spend...

my 5c's rant... :mrgreen:
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Take it you wont like hearing the following ....

All their quotes goes onto a CENTRAL DATABASE - the next dealer SEES the last quote even before giving you a quote .....

I would seriously have a look at the Ranger and the Amarok as well .... Once you have spent some time in the Ranger you WILL think long and hard about your options ......

SWARTVARK may even try to sell you a "melk-wa" ..... Did a trip in one with Andre from Safari4x4 recently ... IMPRESSIVE !!

If I had to buy tomorrow - RANGER
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

ChrisF wrote:Take it you wont like hearing the following ....

All their quotes goes onto a CENTRAL DATABASE - the next dealer SEES the last quote even before giving you a quote .....

I would seriously have a look at the Ranger and the Amarok as well .... Once you have spent some time in the Ranger you WILL think long and hard about your options ......

SWARTVARK may even try to sell you a "melk-wa" ..... Did a trip in one with Andre from Safari4x4 recently ... IMPRESSIVE !!

Chris,I do not believe what say,surely it must be a April fool.Remember the day when you want to sell it you will get nothing for it.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Lollie wrote:
ChrisF wrote:Take it you wont like hearing the following ....

Chris,I do not believe what say,surely it must be a April fool.Remember the day when you want to sell it you will get nothing for it.
Through the years I have owned :

Fiat
Mini
1959 Austin bakkie
Toyota
Mazda
Fiat
Opel
VW
Suzuki
Hyundai
Toyota
Toyota

Only dissapointment in that list was the VW Polo ....

Best Value for money - Mini :)
Fond memories of the Mazda. Gave me excellent miles, and top resale value !!

NONE of these vehicles suffered from "bad resale value", not even the Fiat's

To date the Toyotas have lived up to its reputation. Though the pathetic dealership service levels is getting under my skin .... The thought of spending more than 3 hours return trips in traffic to get my Toyota to a decent dealer, when my office looks out onto one really irks the dinges out of me !!!!

The Amarok truly impressed me - except the memories of the Polo lingers on ....

Good friend has a Ranger. Spent some time in it. Impressed.

My boss had the 3,2 club cab Ranger. He does about 300 to 500km PER DAY. The Ford dealer in Cape Town gives him EXCELLENT service. Earlier this month he traded it in on the 3,2 double cab. I prodded him about the Amarok or Hilux .... He is SOLD on the Ranger !! And he does not have any other Ford products in his stable.

I wont be selling my Hilux to buy a Ranger. But if I had to buy something else now .... it most definately wont be automatic that it would be a Hilux.
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

I agree Chris.

If I was in the position to buy a new bakkie, it would be a Ranger.
2nd would be Amarock and 3rd would be a Hilux.

Thankfully I am not in that position :lmao: :lmao:
ThysdJ
Vehicle: 2018 FJ Cruiser
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

I am extremely disappointed with Toyota SA. And I have said this before. They are basically FORCING us to pay more for the same product, and with stuff we dont want..... by taking away the normal Raider option, and only having the Legend Crap 45 edition. This is daylight robbery.... and when I said it on Facebook, I was being told not to be foolish that this is actually a good idea and that we will always have the Raiders.. but it seems like they lied... Now they came with the whole Dakar idea? Some more money spinning, dont know why it should cost more than L45, nothing extra is added except black paint on the wheels?

Toyota is busy artificially inflating the price of the current model, to strip us of as much money as they can possibly get on the current models, AND so that they can release the new model in 2016 at LESS than the outgoing models... and look like the hero's for doing so.

I seem to remember their whole marketing thing when Vigo was launched, was that you could buy a basic Hilux, and add extras as you needed it.. and that was how they managed to bring it in cheaper than the outgoing IFS models (Legend35?) Why not give US that option all the time? A Basic Hilux, with nothing... and you add on as your budget allows?? Add also to that options list a "Raider" sticker if you want... But only if you added at least a few "Raider like" optional extras...They wont ever do that.. because they will have warehouses full of crappy thin walled stainless steel pipes, nudgebars, rollbars and other crap nobody wants...

Well, shame on Toyota for blatantly ripping off the customers that buys your products over and over... I wont switch allegiance.. I will just keep on buying second hand Hiluxes... so that other fools can pay for the shiny crap that falls off when you go over the first speedbump..
Thys de Jager
Fired as CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2018 FJ Cruiser - #stofgevreet
1984 Mercedes 126 Black Widow Vernon Koekemoer Edition
email: thysdj@gmail.com

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

4x4BEES wrote:I agree Chris.

If I was in the position to buy a new bakkie, it would be a Ranger.
2nd would be Amarock and 3rd would be a Hilux.

Thankfully I am not in that position :lmao: :lmao:
Ook maar bly ek hoef nie NOU te koop nie ....

DALK, mens kan seker hoop en bid, DALK luister hulle vir Thys ..... :siffler: :surrender:
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Thys,

Jy echo my sentimente.

Shop rond, niemand dwing jou om 'n Hiluxx te koop nie.

Onthou, jou nuwe Hilux kan weer gesteel word!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Rebel 4x4
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

ThysdJ wrote:I am extremely disappointed with Toyota SA. And I have said this before. They are basically FORCING us to pay more for the same product, and with stuff we dont want..... by taking away the normal Raider option, and only having the Legend Crap 45 edition. This is daylight robbery.... and when I said it on Facebook, I was being told not to be foolish that this is actually a good idea and that we will always have the Raiders.. but it seems like they lied... Now they came with the whole Dakar idea? Some more money spinning, dont know why it should cost more than L45, nothing extra is added except black paint on the wheels?

Toyota is busy artificially inflating the price of the current model, to strip us of as much money as they can possibly get on the current models, AND so that they can release the new model in 2016 at LESS than the outgoing models... and look like the hero's for doing so.

I seem to remember their whole marketing thing when Vigo was launched, was that you could buy a basic Hilux, and add extras as you needed it.. and that was how they managed to bring it in cheaper than the outgoing IFS models (Legend35?) Why not give US that option all the time? A Basic Hilux, with nothing... and you add on as your budget allows?? Add also to that options list a "Raider" sticker if you want... But only if you added at least a few "Raider like" optional extras...They wont ever do that.. because they will have warehouses full of crappy thin walled stainless steel pipes, nudgebars, rollbars and other crap nobody wants...

Well, shame on Toyota for blatantly ripping off the customers that buys your products over and over... I wont switch allegiance.. I will just keep on buying second hand Hiluxes... so that other fools can pay for the shiny crap that falls off when you go over the first speedbump..
It's business boet - common business practice!
Sent from my iPhone
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by ChrisF »

Rebel 4x4 wrote:
ThysdJ wrote:I am extremely disappointed with Toyota SA. And I have said this before. They are basically FORCING us to pay more for the same product, and with stuff we dont want..... by taking away the normal Raider option, and only having the Legend Crap 45 edition. This is daylight robbery.... and when I said it on Facebook, I was being told not to be foolish that this is actually a good idea and that we will always have the Raiders.. but it seems like they lied... Now they came with the whole Dakar idea? Some more money spinning, dont know why it should cost more than L45, nothing extra is added except black paint on the wheels?

It's business boet - common business practice!
jip .... commin .... :siffler:

fortunately there ARE now viable alternatives ..... guess Ranger will top the sales charts a few more times ....
ThysdJ
Vehicle: 2018 FJ Cruiser
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Then vote with your wallet... spend your money elsewhere if you feel they are ripping you off.
Thys de Jager
Fired as CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2018 FJ Cruiser - #stofgevreet
1984 Mercedes 126 Black Widow Vernon Koekemoer Edition
email: thysdj@gmail.com

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Tenk
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Hilux Country
Vehicle: 07 hilux dc 4L v6 manuel, alu canopy, rock/s, full ome sport, Hoppy s/s custom exhaust, 33 grabber muds, compressor, exstra 80L f/t, dual battery,body lift,redpepper bumper,custom sound with sub,afternarket touchscreen entertain unit, dynoteck chip 188kw

Post by Tenk »

Ranger, Amarok ook maar net bling vir jou geld, Hilux bied n taaier produk met beter verkoop waarde, die wat die hilux wil veruil vir een van hulle, is n geval van die gras lyk groener aan die ander kant want daar is meer k... :mocking:
Tjomma
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Plettenberg Bay
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Tjomma »

Ek is bly ek het nie sjelt nie... n nuwe Lux sal vir nog baie lank nie op my sterrelesing wees nie :lol: So ek is glad nie gepla oor die bells and whistles wat hulle wil afsmeer nie. SA was nog altyd ingeloop invergelyking met wat anderkant die water te koop is vir die ekwivalente prys...So n mooi opgepaste 2nd hand Hilux is ok vir my, ek gan hom in elk geval gebruik vir wat hy bedoel is, dan tel dai blinkgoedjies nie veel nie. Maar 2 dinge is verseker:

- Toyotas is nogals overpriced :thumbdown:
- Toyota het my nog nie gedrop nie, en veral nie wanneer ek in die gopse is nie :thumbup:
So ek koop hom 2nd hand, met die basiese gemakke, en upgrade hom vir my doeleindes en gemak en da gat ons :yahoo:
Behalwe vir my laaste kopie wat n totale ramp was, het ek nog net plesier uit my Hiluxes gekry. :clap:
En n derde ding: Dai Ranger bakkie is so beeldskoon, ek sal hom amper nie eens wil bos toe vat nie :acute:
Stef
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '98 LTD
Club VHF Licence: X107

Post by Stef »

Ek hoor julle oor die 2de handse Hiluxe en stem met wat Thys en almal se...maar dan moet mens seker petrol gaan...?

Van die manne met D4D's reken die instandhoudings koste is hoog, en dan lees mens van probleme met injectors tot op R30k om reg te maak en so aan...

So ek skat mens kan net so wel die V6 vigo kry, siende dat die 2.7 die selfde petrol verbruik het :think:

Return to “Open Discussion”