Your view on 2.5 D4D turbo!!!

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
DawidT
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux, 2.5D4D, DC 4X4

Your view on 2.5 D4D turbo!!!

Post by DawidT »

Hi all,

What is your opinion on replacing the standard turbo with a larger unit on a 2.5, D4D (2008)? The current motor has 270 000km on.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: Your view on 2.5 D4D turbo!!!

Post by ChrisF »

have you considered:

- intercooler ?

- free flow exhaust ?

- chip and dyno tune ?
Hangover
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Deneysville
Vehicle: '76 FJ45 , '13 3.0 D4D Hilux

Post by Hangover »

I think by changing the turbo you mess with the vehicle integrity! Rather go for the options chris mentioned. One gets impressive changes that has been proven to keep the reliability in tact.
Hangover(A.K.A die speelding)
1976 FJ45 4x4
1UZ-FE 4.0vvti
2" OME Suspension lift
1.5" Shackle lift
35" Geo MT's
Custom Bullbar
Lockright Locked rear
York OBA
20" LED bar
Nighthawk 100W spots

Dakar
2013 3.0D-4D 4x4 Hilux Dakar
DawidT
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by DawidT »

Thanks for the answers. I've done all of the above, getting my injectors replaced this week. The guy told me he can not set the chip to "high", getting rail pressure due to the injectors and it then trips the motor computer?
Reinart21
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Secunda
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4 D/C 2011 - ONCA Bullbar Dastek Unichip 76MM S/S Freeflow Leveling Kit. Hilux SFA '97 D/C OME Suspension extra long range tank', V8 coming soon!

Post by Reinart21 »

AFAIK just slapping on a bigger turbo won't give you a meaningful amount of added power. You would have to increase the amount of fuel injected as well to keep you Air Fuel Ratio's as they should be. So i guess bigger injectors with an ECU that can drive them, then you'd be able to use the bigger turbo effectively.

However this will be no small task, I think if you have a unichip, they do mention that those units can control injectors. The bigger turbo will also have to be controlled, making it difficult to stick with the standard ECU, unless the unichip can sort that as well.

Then you would have to look at where, how and which turbo to use as the standard toyota turbo has everything it needs housed in one package, where as aftermarket turbo's have may have the different components housed separately, referring to blow off valve's, waste gates and dump valves. Although you should be able to get a bigger unit/higher boost in a similarly designed unit.

Is it possible? Yes definitely.
Is it practical? Only you would know the answer depending on how much you want to change the setup/get more power from the motor/willing to spend the money to do it right. :surrender: :surrender: :surrender:

M2CW
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Dawid, Why do you not trade in the 2.5 for the 3.0 D-4D which will start where the 2.5D-4D ends with all the extras fitted...

Remember that the more compression you have, the more likely you are to develop related issues.

Just my 2CW...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
DawidT
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by DawidT »

Thanks Edge! It is true, but how do I justify to go and buy another Hilux and mine is still perfect - only me itching :shh:
What I can gather from all the feedback is to stick to standard and enjoy what I have :thumbup: Can't wait to get the Hilux back with new injectors :dance1: Will keep you posted on the results!
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Dawid, Do remember to keep us updated on the performance when the new injectors are fitted...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

There is nothing wrong with improving the efficiency of what you currently have. This includes an intercooler and freeflow exhaust. You could also consider a chip as long as it is one of the recognised brands and done based on a Dyno.

Bolting on a bigger turbo is a whole different mod and I agree with what Reinhart says.

Return to “The Workshop”