My consumption changed for the better

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 06' Hilux 3.0 D4D 4X4

My consumption changed for the better

Post by Die$eL »

I usually have been filling Engen 50ppm on my Tuna and I get around 560kms off a tank

If I add 2SO it goes up to about 620kms

Three weeks ago I filled Shell as it was more convenient.

Suddenly now I got 660kms off the tank

I filled a second tank at the same garage on Friday. Will monitor going forward.

Anyone else had a similar experience?
Real drivers use three pedals
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Re: My consumption changed for the better

Post by Haboob »

Seems excessive, but will be monitoring this thread keenly.
What is 2SO ? (Excuse my ignorance).
Did you not drive less hills or travel slower due to traffic conjestion to get the better consumption figures?
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Die$eL »

2SO = 2 Stroke Oil (there are loads of threads around this on the forum)

The driving is the same. Home to work along the same route daily (18km return trip)
I sit for a max of 5mins in traffic each way. (fortunately)
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

I have definitely seen different fuel consumption figures from different brands of Diesel. On my D4D it seems to like BP and Shell. I have also seen worse figures using Engen. This is over the past 8 years and 249 500 ks.
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Die$eL »

Weird thing

I'm now on my second tank of Shell. My predicted range puts me back at the normal 560kms off a tank

This may sound stupid, but with my Corolla years ago I found that using 1/4 tank engen and then topping up with shell gave me best results.
Could it be the same with the Tuna? Seeing on the first tank of Shell I used it was mixed with the Engen which was already in there?
Tarquin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Plettenberg Bay
Vehicle: Toyota 2.8D D/C 4x4 & Toyota 2.4D single 4x2

Post by Tarquin »

im interested to hear what comes of this test :subscribed: :subscribed:
i always thought the fuel from the different stations were very similar or even identical
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Haboob »

I have definitely seen different fuel consumption figures from different brands of Diesel. On my D4D it seems to like BP and Shell. I have also seen worse figures using Engen. This is over the past 8 years and 249 500 ks.

Very Interesting...
JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Strand
Vehicle: 2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8

Post by JohanW »

A lot of differnent fuel providers use shared refineries. That means the fuel your local bp, shell, engen, caltex etc recieve are the same. Where they differ is in the tanks below the ground. Some may be contaminated with water or worse petrol leaking in from the adjacent tank. This I believe is the biggest contributing factor to economy and power from the fuel you put in from one provider to the next.

I for instance usually fill up from a certain garage in beach road strand. But I have also noticed different consumption and power between tanks. So now I look out for when they deliver new fuel and fill up shortly afterwards. I suspect they have some leakage or something due to the high ground water levels. But it may not be the case at all.

My 2c worth.
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Haboob »

A lot of differnent fuel providers use shared refineries. That means the fuel your local bp, shell, engen, caltex etc recieve are the same. Where they differ is in the tanks below the ground.

I agree with you up to this point, but each fuel provider also have their own ADDITIVE that they add to the fuel, This is supposed to be what makes the difference...
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Haboob wrote:A lot of differnent fuel providers use shared refineries. That means the fuel your local bp, shell, engen, caltex etc recieve are the same. Where they differ is in the tanks below the ground.

I agree with you up to this point, but each fuel provider also have their own ADDITIVE that they add to the fuel, This is supposed to be what makes the difference...
This I believe is exactly it. A good many years back I was told by a senior exec from Shell that all local fuel (petrol in this case) came from their refinery - it made financial sense to share huge refinery costs in different regions, Shell would refine for everyone in SA, BP would refine for everyone in Congo and so on. When it comes to diesel, with the exception of Sasol, I would imagine that the same principle is applied. Each fuel company then adds their own additives to the 'raw' fuel.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
toyo v6
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: gauteng
Vehicle: hilux 4x4 v6

Post by toyo v6 »

Ek het die selfde ondervind met my V6. Kom toe agter die petrol jogie gooi nie altyd die tank heeltemal vol nie. Nou staan ek maar by as hy vol maak.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk
stumps
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Toyota 4.0L D/C 4x4; Camil
Club VHF Licence: X225

Post by stumps »

toyo v6 wrote:Ek het die selfde ondervind met my V6. Kom toe agter die petrol jogie gooi nie altyd die tank heeltemal vol nie. Nou staan ek maar by as hy vol maak.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk
:P:P:Pselfde ondervind. Ander probleem om by te voeg. Ek het by n Sasol in ons omgewing gestop wn n 5l kan volgemaak, net om uit te vind dat hulle net omtrent 4.8l ingegooi het en dat hulle meters verkeerd was. Ek het n spesmaas dit gebeur dalk meer as wat ons besef
2008 Hilux 4.0L 4x4 (Mufasa)
Toyota 4.0L D/C 4x4; Camil suspesion, Long Range tank, Kilber snorkel

1Co 15:10
But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain;

http://www.sandriver.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.travelconsortium.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Die$eL »

I fill till the first click / auto stop. Dont fill it full up. I dont think the amount varies as i consistently get the same amount off the tank. Other than in the case mentioned.
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

I also fill to the auto-stop every time to be as consistent as possible.
FIRSTGEER
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Post by FIRSTGEER »

I take note of you filling each time till the auto stop. I would agree if you used the exact same pump at the same garage each time you fill up with diesel.I have experienced that some pumps are more sensitively set than other pumps and this could amount to a variation of a few litres.MTCW.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

FIRSTGEER wrote:I take note of you filling each time till the auto stop. I would agree if you used the exact same pump at the same garage each time you fill up with diesel.I have experienced that some pumps are more sensitively set than other pumps and this could amount to a variation of a few litres.MTCW.
Even then you will get variations depending on the temp of the fuel in the tank and how much faster or slower it vaporises .... furthermore the temp of the fuel being delivered makes a small difference, both IRO the above as well as normal expansion contraction, which affects volume. It can never be an exact science unless it's in a fully controlled environment.

The temp of the u/ground tanks won't vary too much, but even so, arguably the best time to fill up is mornings a day or two after they had a delivery (if they don't have daily deliveries), so that the fuel can cool and condense.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Die$eL »

My second tank of Shell.

I got 540kms with a range of another 70kms to go

I filled up at the usual Engen garage that I use. 50ppm diesel

This morn, the Tuna didnt start on first swing. Unusual. On 2nd swing it started but i noticed a cloud of smoke from the exhaust
Maybe its just me but the diesel clacking sound when the motor is cold felt more prominent this morning.

I think i'm gonna throw in some 2SO to see if there is any difference.
Where can I get the JASO one? The garages dont seem to have that.
Moonunit
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Lumina

Post by Moonunit »

Not a hilux but noticed Engen Primax gives the best results with my lumina, I would say similar to using octane booster. Afaik all petrol is the same barring the additives the different petrochemical guys add.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Die$eL
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Die$eL »

That's petrol Nicholas.

I have been using only Engen on my cars. Havent compared it to others yet.
Dewald Posthumus
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4d 4x4

Post by Dewald Posthumus »

I have been filling up with Sasol 10ppm over the past year or so - I have a long range tank, so I always fill at the same garage, with the only exception when we went on holiday. I consistenly average 11km/l - driving mostly highway to work and back at 100km/h (traffic).
4ePikanini
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: East London - Thorn Park
Vehicle: Touareg R5 TDi

Post by 4ePikanini »

My diesel doesn't get more mileage with 2SO but many report that they do so it's not unheard of.
I do get much better mileage on 500ppm than 50ppm.

If you want to try the 2SO thing, get some from caltex or Sasol as their stock is JASO FC spec which is a clean burning ("low ash" is the tech term) version.

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”