Fuel starvation problem 2.7i 1999 D/C

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Skobejak
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7i

Fuel starvation problem 2.7i 1999 D/C

Post by Skobejak »

Hi, I recently bought a 1999 2.7i D/C 4x4 with 55 000kms on the odometer (unbelievable but true). The car is like new and perfectly looked after, but after driving it for several weeks, I have noticed that when accelerating the car shudders as if there is a fuel starvation problem. Any ideas? The car has a FSH and is due it's 60000km service
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Fuel starvation problem 2.7i 1999 D/C

Post by Mud Dog »

If it is in fact starving of fuel it could be anything from the HP fuel pump to fuel pressure return regulator, dirty /blocked fuel filter, injectors faulty / calibration to ECU mapping. Could perhaps also be electrical - plugs / coil braking down. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Skobejak
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Skobejak »

Lets hope it is a simple fix. Will take it in for a service next week and will post the diagnosis FYI
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

If it has so little km for such an old vehicle it must have been standing for long. Old fuel tend to go off, sometimes forms a jelly. Might be that your fuel filter is blocked.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

I have replaced quite a few high pressure pumps on 2.7's due to fuel quality, is got nothing to do with mileage. The best pump to replace it with is a Walbro, they are superior in both quality and pressure/delivery and specifically made to handle any fuel blends.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Hoppy wrote:I have replaced quite a few high pressure pumps on 2.7's due to fuel quality, is got nothing to do with mileage. The best pump to replace it with is a Walbro, they are superior in both quality and pressure/delivery and specifically made to handle any fuel blends.
Allan, what are we looking at price wise :?:
Mine is due for replacement.
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
Skobejak
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Skobejak »

Hi. Update on my "fuel starvation" problem. Fuel pressure was ok. Turned out to be a dirty hot wire airflow meter that caused an incorrect air to fuel ration. The sensor was taken apart, cleaned and replaced. Vehicle now runs perfectly. Worth a thought if you have similar problems
Thunder02

Post by Thunder02 »

Thanks for the update :thumbup:

www.4x4direct.co.za
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Thanks for the update.
I clean my air flow meter once a year with carb cleaner. I just take it out and spray it. I do not wipe or touch anything inside, just spray with carb cleaner.
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Good info thanks. Glad it's sorted.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

I have replaced quite a few high pressure pumps on 2.7's due to fuel quality, is got nothing to do with mileage. The best pump to replace it with is a Walbro, they are superior in both quality and pressure/delivery and specifically made to handle any fuel blends.
Hoppy, I see you get those Walbro pumps in different flow rates. What flow rate pump must one use for our Hiluxes?
Thunder02

Post by Thunder02 »

pietpetoors wrote:
Hoppy, I see you get those Walbro pumps in different flow rates. What flow rate pump must one use for our Hiluxes?
:subscribed:

www.4x4direct.co.za
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Since Michael's problem was sorted we can now hijack the thread. :celebrate:
So Neil, what is the symptoms of your trokkie? Why do you think it needs a new fuel pump?
Thunder02

Post by Thunder02 »

pietpetoors wrote:Since Michael's problem was sorted we can now hijack the thread. :celebrate:
So Neil, what is the symptoms of your trokkie? Why do you think it needs a new fuel pump?
Loses power on up hills, generally feels sluggish and fuel consumption has gone up.
Legend35 ( Johan ) had same problems, since he's changed the fuel pump there's been a vast improvement.

www.4x4direct.co.za

Return to “The Workshop”