Water Tanks for Home

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
4x4Grant
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Scottburgh
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE

Water Tanks for Home

Post by 4x4Grant »

Hi Guys

So we are on our 4th Day with no water at home :aggresive: Luckly for me i have 2x 110L drums that are full. This has been a lifesaver
for the loo.

So my question is this. Who has water tanks at home and how have you done your setup? Please post pics if you have.

My current idea is this. Place a 5000 to 10 000L water tank next to my garage, Feed my main line to the tank, Place a shut off switch when the tank is full, Install a booster pump to pump water from the tank to feed the house. This will give me better water presure for the house.

Any tips advice is welcome.
Schools don't need all them number calculatin' classes.
The only math folks need to know is
4 x 4 = Off-Road
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Water Tanks for Home

Post by Mud Dog »

5000 lit is more than adequate. I would just collect rain water and keep the tank separate from the main feed - connect to house with in-line stop cock and a pressure pump but to use only when necessary or for watering the garden / topping up the pool. Remember also that there will be no pressure pump in the event of a power failure, so have a tap on the tank that you can draw water if needs be. If you keep your gutters clean the water should remain clear with minimal debris on the tank floor. One can occasionally add a tablespoon of granular chlorine, but remember that chlor attacks plastics over a period of time.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Eyeman
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Jeffreys Bay
Vehicle: Hilux KZ-TE D/C 4x4

Post by Eyeman »

Hi Grant

Your idea will work, but remember the following:
It costs to fill the tank with municipal water - try to fill with rainwater, even if it's over a period of time. Better quality water in any case. Maybe put 1500l for starters and let the rain fill the rest.
The pump will also use power - keep as a backup .ie. use the tank as a reservoir, but use municipal water for its pressure.

Grant
RaymondH
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Pajero Sport

Post by RaymondH »

I have a water system at home,

From the main supply it goes to the tank, from the tank to a pump and from pump to home.
I did install a bypass from the main supply to the home, bypassing the tank and pump, in-case of a power failure, I an stuffed if water and power is out at the same time, since my tank is placed at ground level.
I also installed a shutoff valve to and from the tank, if any repairs is needed.
I installed a normal toilet shutoff valve in the tank, works well.
Attachments
watertank1.jpg
watertank.jpg
2010 Pajero Sport.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

I feel your pain. We had a problem for 3 days due to a battery failure on our water meter.

We discussed JOJO tanks etc in that topic as well if you want to have a look: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=35795" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To God be the glory
4x4Grant
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by 4x4Grant »

Thanks for the replies guys..

CasKru thanks for the link i do recall going over it but couldn't remember where i saw it.

Ok so i live on a farm with some 80 odd homes on it. We get our water from a borehole and we have been told the following. Its drying up and we use to much. The borehole is basically in a river :?: Then we heard that the main pump is broken and is unable to supply us water.
So at this current stage we have no real idea.

Raymond thanks for that, that is the kind of idea i had in mind for my setup. Reason i am looking at a large tank is for the pure fact that if we are out for 3 to 4 days it will carry me and a few others through. We have 2 80 year old widows who are unable to drive and are unable to get water. Would be easy for me to pump water to a 110L tank drive to their homes and fill toilets and leave water for washing
dishes and basic stuff.

The way things are heading we have to become self sustaining
4 x 4 = Off-Road
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

:subscribed:

That's a cool idea and a great gesture you have to help look after the elderly Grant :thumbup: :thumbup:
4x4Grant
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by 4x4Grant »

Thanks Kevin.

I figure i will be there one day i will be there and i hope someone will be kind enough to help or look after me. Also it will teach my son
the value of helping others and hopefully instill good values in him.

So far what i have done is bought 8X 25L plastic Polycan's which i will fill and take to the 2 Old ladies in my road. The water
has been restored but its not going to last as they are only pumping 5000L a hour which is not enough to meet the demard
even with people using less.

Made some calls and going to look at reject tanks a mate sells they don't leak just have small defects. Will check them and go see what a new one costs.
4 x 4 = Off-Road
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

Sounds like an awesome plan boet.
Good luck and hope all works out like it should :thumbup:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Collect rain water - it's pure and it's free.

You could also set up a small tank for the widows, if they can't afford maybe you could raise funds amongst the other residents or perhaps even get one of those rejects donated by your mate. Would be far less a burden on you later - you wouldn't have to cart and carry every day.

;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
gompie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: louis trichardt
Vehicle: sfa hilux s/c, Fortuner d4d 4x4(ma sin)

Post by gompie »

Manne, elke huis hie in Louis trichardt het n tank en pomp op aangesien ons deesdae net in die aande water kry, moet darem noem dat ons nou beter af is as n jaar of wat terug toe ons vir n week en half op n slag nie water gehad het nie.
Ek het die sisteem by my en my pa opgesit en ons survive n week met 2500l elk.Ons is nou al experts in pompe en tanks opsit. Raymondh se plan is 100%, onthou net n non return valve naby jou munisipale aansluiting.Skree maar as jy vashak.
4x4Grant
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by 4x4Grant »

Thanks guys.

Yeah Andy we busy sorting out something for the 1 old lady now. The idea is to get a few people to sponsor a few items for her. Idea is a drum that we will raise and gravity feed to the loo. This will be filled by rain water in the rainy season and by the community in the dry.

Gompie with that 2500l how many people use it in your household?

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk
4 x 4 = Off-Road
gompie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by gompie »

4x4Grant wrote:Thanks guys.

Yeah Andy we busy sorting out something for the 1 old lady now. The idea is to get a few people to sponsor a few items for her. Idea is a drum that we will raise and gravity feed to the loo. This will be filled by rain water in the rainy season and by the community in the dry.

Gompie with that 2500l how many people use it in your household?

2 per household, i do the shower thing and swambo does the bath, usually where the most water gets used, then friday is washing day with sometimes 2 loads done, hope it gives you an idea of what size you need.
4x4Grant
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by 4x4Grant »

Thanks alot that really does help alot.

4 x 4 = Off-Road
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Post by Froll »

Grant, I live on a farm and we only have river water that we pump out of the canal, no clean water. We are 2 of us and use about 4000 liters a week. That includes washing , watering the garden and we dont worry too much about saving water,( the water runs into the sea after it passes us) and we dont pay for water use in the houses, it is part of the water levy that gets paid for the lands.
I think you should could go far on 2500 liters, depending on how many there are in your house. If you got a 5000 liter tank and filled it the first time it would cost you much less in the coming months as you would on topping up every day and you would have more water for periods that may last longer. Just my 2cw.
4x4Grant
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by 4x4Grant »

Thanks Froll. Yeah we pay a set fee of R280 a month so filling the tanks is no issue at all. We are 2 adults and 1 child. I think on 2500l we would go rather far. So far on a 210L with just toilet use its hardly made a dent and its been 4 days.

Froll what pump are you using if you don't mind me asking and what is a reasonable amount to pay for one?

4 x 4 = Off-Road
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Post by Froll »

Grant my tank is about 10 meters above my house on the koppie so I dont use a pressure pump just gravity feed. I pump from the canal about 50 meters away using a pump that is the same as a swimming pool pump. At some of the Kaap Agri branches they have a stainless steel pump for about R2000.00 to R2500.00 which I think is a very good price.
4x4Grant
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by 4x4Grant »

Thanks Froll.

I would need to run a pressure pump as where I would put the tanks is ground level. I dont have anywhere to raise them.

Well I think first things first find some tanks :lol:

4 x 4 = Off-Road
Arras
Town: Graskop
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Arras »

Remember the non return valve from mains to tank, use a ball valve to regulate flow when tank is full. Also connect mains to pump inlet with non return so that if there is municipal pressure, the pump will not run, but when municipal pressure drops, or there is no water, the pump will get water from the tank that only serves as reserve.
RaymondH
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Pajero Sport

Post by RaymondH »

Gompie,

I need info please, why the non return valve on the main supply? the way my setup is currently, I don't think I need a non return valve.
I think I need to make a correction on my drawings, the "valves" in the pictures are actually taps, that I can open or close, the bypass tap is normally closed, so my tank and pump are my primary supply. when the power goes, I open the bypass tap and I am running on direct main supply. then once the power is back I just close the tap and I am running from my tank and pump. the pump has a built in non return valve, and auto shutoff if no water is supplied.
So I need to understand why do I need a non return on the main supply? :surrender:
gompie wrote:Manne, elke huis hie in Louis trichardt het n tank en pomp op aangesien ons deesdae net in die aande water kry, moet darem noem dat ons nou beter af is as n jaar of wat terug toe ons vir n week en half op n slag nie water gehad het nie.
Ek het die sisteem by my en my pa opgesit en ons survive n week met 2500l elk.Ons is nou al experts in pompe en tanks opsit. Raymondh se plan is 100%, onthou net n non return valve naby jou munisipale aansluiting.Skree maar as jy vashak.
2010 Pajero Sport.
GeorgeJvR
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Louis Trichardt
Vehicle: 2008 Prado 4.0 V6, 1989 SFA S/C 2.2 1998 SFA LTD 22RE

Post by GeorgeJvR »

Water Pump.pdf
(122.23 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
To Buy and sell a vehicle is my hobby
Make a deal that no one else thought possible is my aim

Kom wat wil ek bly 'n Bul!
GeorgeJvR
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Louis Trichardt
Vehicle: 2008 Prado 4.0 V6, 1989 SFA S/C 2.2 1998 SFA LTD 22RE

Post by GeorgeJvR »

Dis soos my en ek glo Dirk / Gompie sin werk Die eenrigting klep voor en na die drukpomp is om die Pomp te beskerm teen hoë munisipale druk, en om te keer dat jou tenk van die pomp se kant af vol word en oor loop.

P.S My stelsel is al 5 Jaar oud en ek moes nog net een keer 'n tank blader vervang, daar is deesdae nuwer tipe pompe.

2500L Tank hou ons so 5 dae
2 Volwassenes en 2 Kinders

Groete van uit 'n droë Louis Trichardt
To Buy and sell a vehicle is my hobby
Make a deal that no one else thought possible is my aim

Kom wat wil ek bly 'n Bul!
KOBUSL
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: WOLSELEY
Vehicle: '96 HILUX 2.8 HILUX DC 3i BMW 540 RANCHERO UTE 4 Li

Post by KOBUSL »

TENK.jpg
(24.22 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
Ons twee 5000 l tenke met boosterpomp.
Die balklep sit so meter van onder af sodat dit van die munsipaal aanvul as die reenwater opraak.
Die eenrigtingklep keer dat jou water nie terugloop na die hooftoevoer as mnr Munsipaal uit water uit raak nie.
Die stelsel werk baie goed, veral vir die huwelik.
My pypwerk/estetika is egter nie op so 'n hoe vlak nie.
Word te vinnig oud en te stadig wys.
Arras
Town: Graskop
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Arras »

Without the non return valve, you will be pumping water back into the municipal supply.
gompie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by gompie »

Raymondh, just as george said, you dont want to pump water to the municipal line back, so put the non return as close as possible to your meter. The non return before your pump is to stop water from municipal to run your pump backwards but if your pump is fitted with it you are A for away.
If your taps are setup as i gather from you pic, you are pumping water back to municipal via the bypass.

Return to “Open Discussion”