Hilux D4D 4x4 or KZTE 4x4

Here we discuss Hiluxes in general. Your view of the Hilux. For other general discussions please see "open Discussions" under the "Around the Campfire" heading.
AcidF
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Brits
Vehicle: Seat Ibiza Cupra

Hilux D4D 4x4 or KZTE 4x4

Post by AcidF »

Hello Guys ,

As most of you are aware I am in the market for a Hilux and i have found 2.

1st : 2006 Hilux 4x4 - 190 000km --- R175 000
2nd : 2002 hilux Kzte 4x4 Roof rack for tent , ARB bumper , with winch - 220 000km -- R120 000

Stupid question which one do consider taking ,
For me yes the price factor is a big thing , the 2006 is double the monthly installments.

Pro`s and cons would be great if you guys can help
but I can see that the head is leaning hard to the newer shape... but man the payments is whats stopping me .

Thanx
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Re: Hilux D4D 4x4 or KZTE 4x4

Post by pietpetoors »

2.5 or 3.0 D4D?
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Money wise the KZ sounds ok because it already have all the goodies. You normally do not get much for accessories when you sell your vehicle so you might as well offer them R110k for the KZ, they can only say no, worth trying.

Do not over commit yourself on the premiums because you will then have no money to rig your vehicle.
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
AcidF
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by AcidF »

It`s the 3.0l D4D

I hear you and you make a valid point..
I am worried about the KZTE being older and it breaking , how much is it going to cost to fix.
Pote
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Hartbeespoort
Vehicle: Fortuner D4d 4x4 & VW Passat
Club VHF Licence: X228

Post by Pote »

I had a KZ-te. It is a very, very good Hilux.
I sold mine with 352,000km on the clock with only having problems with the main gear cluster on the gearbox. (Fixed it for R4800.00 and all was good again.)

If you go for the KZ, have it checked out with the AA for any defects or potential problems.
AcidF
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by AcidF »

Here is the Bakkie,
Maybe its been on the forum before and someone has some insight to it ?
Attachments
kzte Engine 2.JPG
kzte Engine 1.JPG
kzte back.JPG
(83.34 KiB) Downloaded 766 times
kzte wheel arch damages.JPG
kzte1.JPG
Obelix and Dogmatix
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

Hi I was also looking at the KZ's but found that the banks got full on nonsense with vehicles older than 10 years, have just financed a 2006 4.0 4x4 and the best repayment they would give me was over 54 months.

When i spoke to them last year re the kz same specs as yours they wanted a massive deposit as the vehicle was way over there book value. so just be prepared for that news ie short repayment periods and a big deposit.

Best of luck. :crazy:
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
Rianc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2.8GD6 Double CabHilux 4X4

Post by Rianc »

Hilux is Hilux, so not much of a diffs should money be the thing. The 3d4d have 4x4 on the fly and the kz shown still has manual hub-lock. Needs a few plastics eg mud flap end front mud flap. Seem to me the previous owner had some naughty doggies. Mileage not big of an issue though. Good luck.
AcidF
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by AcidF »

Thanx guys,

The Manual hub lock thing is this bad ??? lol i am a noob to this so I honestly dont know a lot.
Googling time to understand all the different things.

Here is the 3.0 D4d that i am looking at , inside looks great as well , but this doesnt have any of the things the Kzte has.

@Quentin did you test drive the bakkie ? and did you find anything funny on it that you felt itsn`t worth it ?
Attachments
d4d.JPG
(65.43 KiB) Downloaded 744 times
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

If you are going to take on overloading trips and a bit of off-roaing, you will pick up some scratches along the way.
It might bother you more in the newer D4D, and as you said, the KZ already has a winch and some other goodies.

Just saying.
Rianc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Rianc »

The ride of the d4d is softer than the ifs (kz), If standard without a front spacer, the ground clearance is less than the kz, not by far however. The manual thing is not a big issue if you are awair of it and some preffer it that way, direct engagement and not by relay (I thinks on 4H). I smaak the red, you will probably get lost but will be found! Other thing I have noticed on the KZ is that the branding of the tyres is not the same 9front and rear) and not standard size for the vehichle. Photos can be deceving, however looks like 215's (30*9.5) instead of the 245/75. (31*10.5). Guys, if I have this wrong, please correct my mistake. Take both for a spin and get the feel, both excellent vehichles, I have owned both. The ifs was however a 2.7i petrol.
Rianc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Rianc »

Oh Warren, and the lexus v8 fits better into the KZ, not to confuse you further.
AcidF
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by AcidF »

Ok , I am planning on going to the Kz later this week to have a look at it in person and take it for a drive.
I see that it already has a SAC conversion as well , will like to inspect that element.
If I am not mistaken that should be a chip and intercooler fitted somewhere there in the engine bay.

But thanx again for all the help and answers.
The Red does stand out a lot :lol:
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Only thing with KZ is that if they were hammered or towed heavy loads the head tend to crack or head gasket tends to blow round about 200,000km
If it was looking after well it will do 500,000 km without problems. You won't know.
See if you can find service history, maybe it just happened, got fix and now owner is selling, in that case it might be good for another 300,000km

Injectors and pump repair cost you will have on both because both diesel, D4D injectors way more expensive than KZ injectors.

There are companies now who finance vehicles older than 10 years

AA inspection I found useless, I once bought a vehicle with AA certificate, when I got home it piepie ed oil and there were things loose on the suspension. It is a good indication but not a final yes or no.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Looks like that KZ had the full SAC treatment already.Looks like a intercooler was added. HMM that KZ is really good looking :drool:
But that price is kinda low consider it s from a dealer.Check out the kilo's and make sure they are real.Witht the KZ you got to budget =/- 8k fro a new head in the future :surrender: that may or may not crack.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
AcidF
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by AcidF »

I will be inspecting that engine bay nicely.
I will look for that cooler as well.. where abouts is the chip ? it should be a plug and play i take it or am i wrong ?

Working on a rough figure of 8k then I should be happy with that IF something happens. But i have faith it wont be a bad buy.
Well if the Price is too low then there must be something else :eh: however the owner drove it and mentioned that it drives nicely .
Or i could have just stumbled onto a bargain or bust...

I should go there on wed or sat , so no funny idea`s george :lol:
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

When taking it for a test drive, just remember to test the 4x4 system as well.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

budget =/- 8k fro a new head in the future :surrender: that may or may not crack.
Not much compared to cost of the other one and if you look at all the extras that comes with it, chance worth taking I would say
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

George how much was the KZ's injectors, R2,000 per set? is that correct
D4D injectors R2,000 each
louis fourie
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Post by louis fourie »

pietpetoors wrote:George how much was the KZ's injectors, R2,000 per set? is that correct
D4D injectors R2,000 each
Pieter

I have a figure of R4000 each for the D4D, but I might be wrong.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
dantjie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: kuilrivier
Vehicle: HILUX SFA LTD 2.4 EFI

Post by dantjie »

Don't want to be nasty but if you are going with the d4d please can I have a six pack coke with it. anyway good luck with your choice
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

HI Warren,

The main possible issue with the KZ *might* be a cracked cylinder head somewhere in the future, however, those that have an intercooler and chip tend to last longer than the avarage 200-220km head failure. Mostly the viscous fan is also buggered then.

Head replacement should be around R12-15k.

The D4D might have higher installments but is a tad lighter on juice. Monthly mileage should be taken into consideration here. Kz - +-8km/L, D4D - +-10km/L.

Eitherway, before you sign on the dotted line, book your choice of vehicle in at Dastek for an evaluation. Should cost you around R5-600 but well worth it if it turns out to be a lemon. They do a compression test, turbo boost, egt and a few others.

Most importantly, DO NOT over commit financially!!!!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
ROBERT
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Vehicle: 2002 D/C KZTE 4x4

Post by ROBERT »

on the tyre side, the kzte came out with 30x9.5, without a suspension 31's rub badly.
the SAC chip sits on top of the ECU behind the cubby hole(cubby hole clips out to access it)
I have precisely that model KZ with the SAC so if you want to compare come and give mine a test drive.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Thabogrobler »

ROBERT wrote:on the tyre side, the kzte came out with 30x9.5, without a suspension 31's rub badly.
the SAC chip sits on top of the ECU behind the cubby hole(cubby hole clips out to access it)
I have precisely that model KZ with the SAC so if you want to compare come and give mine a test drive.
No man, 31's don't rub!

Ask the alignment centre to move the left front wheel forward 1.5mm!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
AcidF
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by AcidF »

Thanx guys for all the insight and help on this...
Considering everything that everyone has mentioned , I think that taking the KZ could work out for the best , I understand that its possibly had a hard touring life and all the extra`s on it makes the deal sound and feel better.
However the newer model does still make it a tough choice however i would then need to spend even more cash on kitting out the newer shape.

Robert if you don`t mind I think that I would like to meet up with you before I go to the dealer so that you could possibly show me what to look out for and also explain to me how the KZ should respond with the SAC Conversion.
I currently drive a 1.9TDI with remapped software which boosts hard and the car pulls great for a diesel but I cant compare the two as the weight is a lot different.
Regarding the KZ being slightly heavier on fuel , this I take it is something a person would need to live with i guess , also i might be wrong but the SAC Conversion should help with giving better consumption ?
Is the KZ heavier then the 4.0 V6 because if it is then :wth: I need to shop further.

Thabogrobler , I will have a word with the dealer see if they would allow the bakkie to leave the show room to go and have it tested.
Would the guys at Dastek be able to tell me if there is a crack on the gasket or head ?

Thanx again all , investing into something blindly is a fail investment.
grobbepj
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Hilux legend 35 4x4 3.0kzte D/C

Post by grobbepj »

Great choice!! I was battling with the same scenario not too long ago and also went the kitted kzte route... And is not a minute sorry. After the sac conversion I added a freeflow and even fully loaded get around the 8.5-9 km/l which is significant less than the v6.
All the best with the deal. We are awaiting more photos.
Out of personal experience just make sure you get proper insurance if you plan on playing with it in the dirt...
ROBERT
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by ROBERT »

Hi Warren, you are more than welcome to come and drive, ill pm you my cell no.
the KZ is not as light on fuel as the D4d, but definitely lighter than the V6, unfortunately by modern standards most double cabs are heavy on juice, and motoring magazines consumption figures do not reflect real life, they are done on a test track at 80km/h with 4bar tyres, and no A/c, fan radio on and without any load. The SAC does give you a fuel benefit, if you don't change your driving style, however more power normally leads to a heavier foot.
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Thabogrobler wrote:
ROBERT wrote:on the tyre side, the kzte came out with 30x9.5, without a suspension 31's rub badly.
No man, 31's don't rub!

Ask the alignment centre to move the left front wheel forward 1.5mm!
Even without moving the wheel forward, 31's never touch on a KZ,
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Enjoy the KZ if you go that route, I've had mine almost 5 years now, I enjoy it very much. Other advantage of the KZ over the D4D is that it's not that picky with diesel, should you wish to venture into Africa, there is no 50ppm further north.
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Thabogrobler »

Theft - D4D's is quite high on the wanted list - that makes the insurance premiums, well, premium!

AcidF
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by AcidF »

Hello Guys , just an update

So I spoke with the manager , and looks like the Head was replaced, the prop-shaft was replaced as well through them.
So it should be good for a few thousand km`s. :eh: .. He mentioned that there is no issues when changing gears or upon start up either , no smoke nothing.
Manager mentioned that there aren`t any scuff marks underneath or damages.

Will be going through on Sat morning to have a look and drive.

Really hope all is good :beg:
JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Strand
Vehicle: 2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8

Post by JohanW »

Insist on having them do a compression test. And if you run into problems down the line... I just paid less than R11k to have a bent conrod fixed and new rings installed and a bunch of other things done to make it run like a new one.
AcidF
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by AcidF »

Will do , thank you
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Thabogrobler »

I can tell you lots of things - but you must only believethat which I can prove, i.e. get it tested at Dastek.

ROBERT
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by ROBERT »

off topic- just a quick reply to Tumelo and Thabo, my comment on the 31s was based on my personal experience, before OME if I went round a corner the inside of the tyre caught the wheel arc, after I had the OME fitted, no more issues, granted the factory suspension was tyred ( sorry tired) when I replaced it. out of interest, standard size for the tyres according to the manual is 245/75R15 which is actually a 29,5x 9.5 tyre
AcidF
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by AcidF »

Update...

Thank you Robert for all the time and assistance ... the man sure knows a KZ :clap:

SO as we were about to leave they called me and told me that the KZ was sold...
I am pretty upset as after we went and had a look at the Kz there wasnt too much wrong with it...and the extras made it a great buy..

OH well some you loose and some you win..
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

AcidF wrote:Update...

Thank you Robert for all the time and assistance ... the man sure knows a KZ :clap:

SO as we were about to leave they called me and told me that the KZ was sold...
I am pretty upset as after we went and had a look at the Kz there wasnt too much wrong with it...and the extras made it a great buy..

OH well some you loose and some you win..
Thats how it goes.Your Lux will find you.Mine founded me 3 times already
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Thabogrobler »

Just to confuse you a bit more:

http://www.4x4community.co.za/classifie ... auto/cat/4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AcidF
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by AcidF »

how heavy are these 4.0 V6 machines on the fuel ?
Are they heavier than the 2.7?
Wendell
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Standerton
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4x4, Long range fuel tank, Cooper Discover STT. WROffroad Level-it spacers.

Post by Wendell »

I heard the 2.7 is heavier on fuel. When I tow a caravan with my v6 I get 6km/l, normal open road 8.5km/l without load. Maintenace cost is much lower than diesel.

Sent from my GT-P5200 using Tapatalk
Christian Kuun
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 2008 Tuna V6 4x4 Manual

Post by Christian Kuun »

V6 and KZ cant be far apart in fuel consumption but bbbbblllliiikkkkemmer the grin the V6 gives! I still enjoy driving mine as much as the first day I drove it! Also there are no timing belts, no injectors, no head issues etc. Seriously consider it :wink2:
Wynkop Kuun

O82 6l5 8lO5

Return to “General Hilux Discussions”