The Corona’s

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Pora
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Brakpan
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5 d4d

The Corona’s

Post by Pora »

Always having a love for cars, Raymond started his career by working in the parts department of the Currie Motors dealership in Ladysmith about 50 years ago. He worked his way up to being parts manager and later ended up as supervisor in the panel beating business, from where he retired four years ago. In 1972 his cousin, Malcolm Crookes, was the director and workshop manager of the Halfway Toyota service centre in Park Rynie on the KwaZulu-Natal south coast. He told Raymond about a Toyota Corona bakkie which he had for sale. At the time, the vehicle had 14 000 kilometres on the clock and belonged to Donald Crookes, son of Vernon Crookes, who was involved in the sugar industry. He owned Selbourne Estate, which is a golfing estate today.

Image Link Broken

Donald Crookes used the Corona to cart orchids from Scottburgh to Durban. His business grew and the Corona eventually became too small, so he had to trade it in and bought himself a Hilux. The Corona is a 1971 model. It has a brake booster fitted, front discs and a canopy. After some years of ownership the engine needed an overhaul, but instead of doing the overhaul, Raymond transplanted a 2R 1800 Hilux motor with a five-speed gearbox. He also had it re-sprayed the same colour blue.

Image Link Broken

This vehicle travelled a lot on gravel roads. Raymond used it daily for work and to go fishing with on weekends. In 1980, him and his wife moved into town from the farm, after which she used the Corona for shopping and to take their two daughters to and from school. “My daughters remember being strapped in together and they used to argue as to who would sit in the middle next to their mom,” recalls Raymond. “These days I give the Corona a run every now and then. She still goes very well, but I hardly use her much these days. If I sell her I would like to see her go to a collector or to someone who will look after her and keep her in the good condition that I have,” he said.

Image Link Broken

The Corona’s current mileage is 158 880 kilometres - See more at:http://www.toyotazone.co.za/ownerszone/ ... JeF9g.dpuf
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Re: The Corona’s

Post by Froll »

Awesome vehicle and a very nice story, thanks for sharing. :thumbup:
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Wow.... daai bring nou memories terug. 32 jaar terug het ons van Richardsbaai af op getrek hier na die rand toe en ek bly nou nog steeds in die selfde huis.

My pa het so bakkie gehad (net 'n witte) en hy het presies op dieselfde plek gestaan waar my Hilux deesdae staan. Wens Toyota wil weer 'n half tonner hier verkoop
To God be the glory
dd6
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: 1995 SFA

Post by dd6 »

Ek het ook al gewens vir ñ Toyota halftonner. Dit sal verkoop soos soetkoek!! Kyk na die kompetisie, die een probeer leliker as die ander wees....
Pora
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Brakpan
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5 d4d

Post by Pora »

dd6 wrote:Ek het ook al gewens vir ñ Toyota halftonner. Dit sal verkoop soos soetkoek!! Kyk na die kompetisie, die een probeer leliker as die ander wees....
haha ja stem saam
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

Pora wrote:
dd6 wrote:Ek het ook al gewens vir ñ Toyota halftonner. Dit sal verkoop soos soetkoek!! Kyk na die kompetisie, die een probeer leliker as die ander wees....
haha ja stem saam

Dit kan werk, AS Toyota se pyse nie die mense wegjaag nie

Return to “Open Discussion”