What is this and do I need it?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
radcore
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Sydney
Vehicle: 1985 YN67 Hilux

What is this and do I need it?

Post by radcore »

Hi Guys,
I am sure the answer to my question is already here somewhere, but I don't know what the parts are called so I cant search it.

After installing a weber I started cleaning out the engine bay. There is this thing that I think is just a filter thing and I would like to get rid of it and replace it with one of those little air filter things, but I just wanted to check to make sure that this part doesn't do anything important.
what is this.JPG
So, can anyone tell me what part 'A' is and whether it is ok to remove part A and the hose and replace it with something like this on part 'B'?:
filter.JPG
filter.JPG (19.96 KiB) Viewed 3690 times
Cheers
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Re: What is this and do I need it?

Post by ThysdJ »

It's blue so you can remove it... if it was red, however, it shouldnt be touched... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

That looks like the engine oil breather outlet. Mr B on the forum built some fancy contraption once that caught the oil vapour and returned it to the sump. That might just be a similar thing.
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
radcore
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by radcore »

What if it was black before it was blue? Haha

So if its just a breather, it would be fine to replace it with a little filter then?
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

That breather pipe is supposed to feed into the air cleaner if I recall correctly. Looks like there is a thin pipe t-ing off the main breather pipe that is connected to the blue carb fitting? In that case you can just remove that oil trap thing and let it breathe into the air cleaner... After a while those little filters get messy and clogged with oil..

If it was black before it became blue it is redundant.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

It is most likely something to do with your weird, crazy emissions laws over there. (you can't fart without a filter of some sort there) Won't do any harm to remove it but be careful of your blue light brigade.
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
radcore
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by radcore »

The thinner hose that connects to the side of the carby hat goes straight to the motor at the front. Part 'B' in my picture is some sort of valve thing that connects to the motor towards the back and also connects to the bit i want to get rid of. It used to also have a vacuum line going to the stock carb or one of the other vacuum things that was involved with the stock carb (can't remember exactly as I pulled all that stuff out when I put the weber in).

Zeppelin is most probably correct. From looking through some pics, it seems heaps of other hiluxs don't even have this part (or as many of the charcoal filters and vacuum parts that I used to have).

The little filter is on there now. I've gained even more engine bay space and it looks badass haha
If it ends up getting dirty too quickly I will plumb it into the air filter, but if it lasts a few months I'll just replace it with another little filter as they are cheap and its neater than having another long hose

Cheers for the help guys :)
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Crankcase breather by the looks of what I can see. The crank case needs to breathe and as best I can recall the original carb would have had a vacuum nipple at the base where the breather pipe was connected. This makes it a 'closed' system and all crankcase vapours are combusted through the motor. Rather do it like that if you can .... no filters necessary, but it must feed in after the air filter element otherwise that will become chocked fairly quickly and clog. At the base of the carb or into the manifold itself is ideal because the air / fuel mix passing through will keep it clean. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
radcore
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by radcore »

I just realised my picture is rather confusing. I have placed the 'b' on top of the pipe that goes to the carby hat. The thicker pipe doesn't actually 'T' off the normal crank case breather, it connects to a separate thing (part 'b') that is behind the thin blue hose within the red circle. In the picture you can see the two metal pipes going into this part. they connect to the motor. Not sure if that makes a difference to anyone's advice.
radcore
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by radcore »

The thing I am talking about is the thing that now has a blue filter in it in this pic:
image.jpg
image.jpg (90.59 KiB) Viewed 3610 times
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

On a TOYOTA the breather returns to the air filter, thus sucking oil vapour back into the engine - burning it.

on a LANDY the breather is re-routed to drip below the gearbox/transfer case, thus negating the need to leak expensive transmission fluid, and still get the mandatory "landy mark" on your drive way and garage floor ....
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Pics still not clearly showing ..... turn off the green Xmas lights, use a flash and take the pic from the other side and closer if you can.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

It's not Christmas lights Andy, it is an Aurora Australis under the bonnet.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Thys de Jager

radcore
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by radcore »

Hahaha, really it's just the combination of spare time, spare LEDs, and the humor of opening the bonnet of a rough old truck and having a glowing engine bay haha. I bought the car to satisfy my need for tinkering, so it's getting plenty of useful and some admittedly useless modifications haha

Anyway, here are some non glowing pictures that show the part much more clearly:
image.jpg
(79.16 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
image.jpg
(83.8 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
Merry Christmas to all of you
radcore
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by radcore »

This is where the two pipes go:
image.jpg
(76.88 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

First time i saw this gadget on a 4y.Go the EFI route.Much more power same fuel consumption or better.Depends on your driving style.
Not sure how easily EFI parts is availble in your country .
Attachments
4y Engine.jpg
(112.64 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
radcore
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by radcore »

I considered efi and may again in the future if I keep the 4y, but I'm enjoying the carby at the moment as I haven't had one since my first car.

So, if not all 4Ys have it, do you reckon I cold just get rid of the whole lot and just blank off the holes the the two pipes went into on the motor? Or just run two new pipes as breathers from the holes to the intake?
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

James

On my 4y tappet cover there are two pipes where you plug in the breather pipes .The one is next to the oil filler plug (the one end of the breather pipe plugs in there and the other end of the breather pipe plugs in metal cover on top of the carb.
The other pipe is at the end of the the tappet cover on the firewall side.(the one end of the breather pipe ,plugs in there and the other side at the intake manifold)Hope it make sence for you.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
MCHILUX
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Centurion Gauteng
Vehicle: Mazda Rustler 16v

Post by MCHILUX »

That is the EGR valve(exhaust gas recirulation valve) must be an import 4Y local one never came out with it. No need to put a filter on the pipe it's not connected.
radcore
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by radcore »

Thanks guys. So since its doing nothing now, I will probably remove the two metal pipes as well. Would the hole where the exhaust one went into be a good spot for an EGT sensor?
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

I think those could be the LPG piping. Would be keen to see the dizzy. Some of the 4Y in the Forklifts has this on with a particular dizzy and a different carb on them.

Return to “The Workshop”