Tips to prevent uric acid disease/ GOUT

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
KOBUSL
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: WOLSELEY
Vehicle: '96 HILUX 2.8 HILUX DC 3i BMW 540 RANCHERO UTE 4 Li

Tips to prevent uric acid disease/ GOUT

Post by KOBUSL »

No 7 is new to me.

Some of these tips can help prevent an increase in uric acid in the blood. These tips include changes in lifestyle and diet should be regularly and strictly adhered to, if not affected by gout or uric acid disease relapse.

1. Lose Weight In Staged
If overweight, reduce gradually, because losing weight can help lower uric acid levels. But avoid excessively strict diet, follow a healthy diet here. Losing weight drastically with excessive dieting may precipitate an attack of gout. That’s great if accompanied with regular exercise.

2. Eat Foods Low Purine (Diet Low Purine)

Purine is an organic component that causes gout. These substances are needed in the body to normal limits are met.@Restrict foods high in purines -
Organ meats such as liver, kidney, heart
Selected fish and shellfish
Meat & yeast extracts brewers and bakers yeast
Meat soups & stock cubes. Foods that can cause gout such as beans, mushrooms, cooked spinach, and mustard greens, goat meat, offal and lard (fat), shellfish, duck and turkey, salmon, mackerel, sardines, crab, shrimp , anchovy and some other fish, cream and ice cream, and sweet bread. Some foods containing purine content seen in the list below. It should be remembered that the sensitivity of a person to be exposed to uric acid after eating these foods will vary.

3. More White Water Consumption

Approximately 90% of gout is caused by the inability of the kidneys remove uric acid from the body completely through urine. Water consumption is believed to improve the disposal of substances that are not useful as excessive uric acid from the body. Drink at least 6-8 glasses a day.

4. Expand Food Containing Calcium and High Antioxidant

Eating calcium-rich foods such as vegetables and fruits such as bananas, potatoes, avocados, milk and yogurt. Eating fruits rich in vitamin C, especially citrus and strawberry.

5. Avoid Alcohol and Soft Drink Consumption

Alcohol can lead to increased production of uric acid, while soft drink consumption may inhibit the absorption of calcium and calcium even throw in vain.

6. Limit your consumption of fried food

Fats and oils turn rancid at high temperatures such as in frying time. Moreover, if the used oil is oil that is used repeatedly. Rancid fats which can quickly destroy vitamin E and causes an increase in uric acid in the blood.

7. Increase Sexual Activity

These tips are more appropriate for those who have become husband and wife. Sexual activity, such as a kiss can make the body become more relaxed, so easy to boost the immune system. In addition, sexual intercourse can facilitate the production of urine so it can reduce the concentration of uric acid in the blood.

Discipline, Awareness and Healthy Habits.

Again the key here is discipline. You should also take the time to learn about the food you eat, and take note of foods that seem to trigger your gout. There is no set uric acid level that triggers gout attacks, each person has a different threshold so you should pay attention to how your body reacts. You should also form some healthy habits to reduce uric acid and prevent gout attacks.

If you are unsure about a part of your diet, consult your doctor about it. Even though there are a lot of resources online to help you, consulting with your doctor is still the best way to fine tune your diet and reduce uric acid levels.
Word te vinnig oud en te stadig wys.
kfxnando
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Re: Tips to prevent uric acid disease/ GOUT

Post by kfxnando »

Have my gout under resonable control

However in winter seem to be more vunerable to gout attacks

Cayan pepper over almost every thing i eat makes a huge difference in the control

Bad for me
Pringle chips, guaranteed gout
Often when we went away we would spoil ourselfs and had one badbad trip spoiled it for every one couz now everyone worried about my heavy pain. Have recently noticed some of the other chips having similar effects, just not as bad as pringles

Sea food
If gout is under control then can eat anything
If its underlying even with no pain, muscles can triger an attack , all other sea food is fine

Carbonated drinks
Pepsi seems to be the most forgiving
Coke not so much
Beer, Millers used to be a big trigger at the same time as the pringles

Take nothing to prevent, as have seen people with other complications from gout preventative meds like colcnesine and puricos

When an attack hits, or starts have a gout cocktail from Akarmans pharmacy in primrose, and within a few hrs its all gone

Every one is different, however this is my poison
Hope it helps :cooldude:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Number 5? :shock2:
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
KOBUSL
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by KOBUSL »

Donkey wrote:Number 5? :shock2:

Replace with 7. :lol: :lol:
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear

Post by Donkey »

What if I have 7 sorted out already? :mocking: :lmao:
Tumelo Maketekete
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

ImageImage
KOBUSL
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by KOBUSL »

The uncle is getting tired ? :lol:
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Maybe a hi-lift jack can help to lift poor old jack? :mocking: :lmao:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
KOBUSL
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by KOBUSL »

Donkey wrote:Maybe a hi-lift jack can help to lift poor old jack? :mocking: :lmao:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
dalkill
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

SO here i'm sitting at home , foot too painful to even put on shoe... I suspect GOUT, but making turn at doc later to confirm.

I've had mild attacks in the recent past, but this is the first severe one. At the moment though pain is not evident until i put my foot on the floor. Got to walk on side of my foot.

So been reading up and found this post.

I have recently lost a bit of weight in quick time, with the Carte Blanche one meal a day diet. Drank loads of water though.

It is our Ramadaan / Fast at the moment, so my water intake is limited. I try to drink as much at night, but two glasses and i can't anymore. then later i try again, but don't always remember.

As tradition, we break our fast with soup. Good old hearty beef and veggie soup. Made with beef pieces and soup bones. The jury is still out on the big role meat has to play on the onset of gout. So maybe the beef and bones in the soup is part of the problem too?

During other times of the year, i love my meat. But not excessively i don't think. We buy a hidnquater of beef for 6 in the household, and it lasts us about 3 months on average. DOn't think that too bad. Have to have my knorrox in my potjie, but again, maybe once a month a potjie, if not every second month.

Obviously don't drink beer, but love my softdrinks. Recently switched to zero sugar , but apprently all softdrinks to be avoided. SO now i did the juice thing, and apparently orange juice not good either... :slap: ... only water then ??

I read on 4x4community that some daily dose of lemon / citrisode water helps to alkaline the blood. I think i will give this a try. Can live without meat and just water. Eish.

Will try and report back the progress.
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
kfxnando
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

Since my post on here a few years ago, my gout situation has changed drastically
Struggled to be gout free for more then a few days at a time,
Have had blood tests recently, kidneys, liver , sugar and chalastol is all good

Will be looking at alternative prevention soon
Not sure what yet
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dalkill

Post by dalkill »

yep , doc took off my sock and immediate reaction... GOUT !!
gave me a shot, and back to 95% mobility again.

gave me some tabs, and i need to go for blood tests.
he said he wanted to put on course of chocline(spelling?) and / or Puricos.

Eish, don't like taking tabs long term, but meat is meat and a man must eat :-)

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
dalkill

Post by dalkill »

So here we are again... 2 yrs later and it struck again.

This time really bad... not in terms of pain, but duration.
It's been going on for about 1.5 months now... walking around limping.

When it started, i tried the gout pack from pharmacy, tried the daily puricos / colchachine combo, for about 2 weeks, till i thought nope off to doc i need to go.
A shot of voltaren, and the afternoon, on the roof fixing leaking pipe... that was the Sat. Doc say i must come back monday for another. Also sent me for blood test. Comes back with acid level 0.57 which apparently very high.
Sun afternoon, i can feel throbbing.. and by monday, foot swollen again... shot fixed again...

Give my course of Allupiranol, cortisone and some anti inflamatarry... week later all the meds up, foot still blue on the side and swollen.

Call the rhuematologist, and only open spot 2 weeks time... struggle on with this painful foot...
Yesterday get to see him. Does x-ray and find that the gout has already started to eat away at the bone. :shock2:

Anyhow he prescribed puricos 100mg to be taken as chronic, some anti-inflammatary, and say nothing to be done about bone damage... that permanent and my big toe limited movement also permanent. :(

Then shows me list of stuff i can't stay away from.... the ussual suspect... meat, salmon, tuna, crayfish, prawns... but then the bomb... Yeast, cauliflower, mushrooms, beans, peas... :eh:
WTH am i supposed to eat.

Ask him about tomato paste. I read one should stay away from tomatoes, and he says there no clear ruling on this. And with most foods containing tomato paste... and my biltong :cry:

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Eish! Hope it goes better from here on. Acidic system, big problem with most of us in the "modern" age ... so many contributing factors in both diet and lifestyle. The upside is that it can be managed, just to find what works for you and what doesn't. All the best in getting there. :thumbup:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
dalkill

Post by dalkill »

Thanks Andy.

The what works for me part is what frustrating.
Doc says bone erosion been ongoing for years now already, even before gout symptoms.
So i can't really say what raising my acid level.

And with so many exlusions mentioned in this post and all over the internet... i would end up eating dry bread.. but wait ... that contains yeast :-(

like for the last two weeks, i ate nothing all day... just water... and at night... steamed veggies and chicken. happily devouring the cauliflowers... meanwhile i was supposedly not to... it was one of the no list.

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
Bear
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2200 Raider D/Cab 4x4 - SFA

Post by Bear »

Hi Shaakir
Sorry to hear. Hope you get well soon.

One of the products I hear that is good is the “A.Vogel” brand in treating many illnesses. It is a herbal product.

I have a relative who used the one for the treatment of the kidneys and it worked marvellously. She did not require dialysis thereafter. The doctor was stunned.

You could try the:
"A.Vogel - Multiforce Alkaline Powder" and the "A.Vogel’s - Stinging Nettle tincture" which is the treatment for gout. It is worth a shot. It can be purchased at a pharmacy, Clicks or Dis-Chem.

Take care buddy.
Travel is not really about leaving our homes, but leaving our habits.
Adventure tends to magnify all human emotions.
It's only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

I used to get "gout" attacks each winter when all my friends go hunting and bring back Wildsbiltong. Later on I believed it was the veal and stopped eating that.

After seferal years of suffering my wife read a book and read something about Chilblains.

I stopped walking kaalvoet in the winter mornings and my "gout" disappeared.

Can eat veal again, can drink red wine again, no problem.

Another thing I learned is lemon juice in a bottle is dangerous, if you want to drink lemon juice it must be squeezed from a real lemon.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20351097
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Baasvark
Town: Virginia
Vehicle: '97 D/C with all the trimmings & 2011 Troopy

Post by Baasvark »

Just had my annual checkup by the quack.

Acid levels are high! (I knew this - been suffering from gout for a while now)

So onto meds. Already feel way better!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Aint it ironic that "Common Sense" aint so common after all...
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

After about a year on/off with health looks if my Heart condition/stroke as they wanted to be the last 8 month ago also moving into re flux or gout or something related to my intestines. Yet it still have to be decided on. (Best is the wrong medicine also had a toll on me so far)

Problem is most Doctors always refer or says its a referral pain of a kind. :think:

I realize now is to never believe one doctor, get all the info and all the Meds side effects. If the Doctor cant say, see another.

Return to “Open Discussion”