Dog Food which one how do we know

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
kfxnando
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Dog Food which one how do we know

Post by kfxnando »

Seems the vets push their brands, with all kinds of lame explanation
When we took the puppy for its vacination, took the food we are feeding it, sadly the vet Wasent there, there was a woman vet standing in

When I asked about the dog food that we are feeding the puppy, she did not even look at the bag, and what was printed on the bag
It went straight away in the direction of vets choice and other expensive brands
Know that animals cost money, however dont just want to buy expensive couz the vet says so
Need a proper explanation

When I was bringing up my other dogs, vet was not in favour of pedigree, however now days they say pedigree is good
The food that the puppy is getting has what I thing is a list of good ingredients, including ostrich mean

Egery time the vet mentions vetschoice, I remember that I had my dog on vets choice, paying the price, and dogs were dying couz the producers of vets choice were tacking short cuts and buying cheap ingredients from China
I just missed that bad batch by a few days

Vet further say, that giant breed dogs have bone and hip issues, and what they are fed as puppys has an influence when they are older
Understand, however those days pedigree was lood down at, and today its ok, and my Boerboels are almost 11, male is active, plays with puppy, beech does have some issues
And they were fed the same thing, simillar age different litter

There is a pet show this weekend, and will be quizing the food manufacturer s there

However as good info is always available here, would like to hear opinions

The two old puppys, eat mainly their dog food, once a week, they will get the left over bines what ever else was leftover, be it pap or rice, however we dont cook for them
Its their treat, we also have our treats, more often then the dogs

Looking forward to the comments and opinions

Typing from toutch screen so sure plenty of spelling issues :laugh2:

:cooldude:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hangover
Town: Deneysville
Vehicle: '76 FJ45 , '13 3.0 D4D Hilux

Re: Dog Food which one how do we know

Post by Hangover »

I Just feed my dogs Montego... All 7 of them are very healthy, Very naughty and my 1 boerboel weighs in at +-75kG's 16months old... Bought very cheap pellets one time they just sh*t more often and eat twice as much... I say Montego is good pellets for money!!
Hangover(A.K.A die speelding)
1976 FJ45 4x4
1UZ-FE 4.0vvti
2" OME Suspension lift
1.5" Shackle lift
35" Geo MT's
Custom Bullbar
Lockright Locked rear
York OBA
20" LED bar
Nighthawk 100W spots

Dakar
2013 3.0D-4D 4x4 Hilux Dakar
Tal
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kroonstad
Vehicle: Fortuna

Post by Tal »

Also use Montego, great dogs! Always used ultra dog, but just too expensive!
ONE LIFE.... DRIVE A TOYOTA
kfxnando
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

Have also had my dogs on Montigo, however Montigo's label changed
And with that change so did the contents, as did the amount of ostrich also diminish
At the one stage the montego label said nothing about ostrich

Currently they are all on complete food of one sort or other

Have nothing against Montigo and if someone could explain to me why Montigo wouldbe better would have no issue in changing

http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FJCruiser-ZN
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Durban
Vehicle: FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X224

Post by FJCruiser-ZN »

We buy Hills, or Eukanuba for my wife's Toy French Poodle, however he prefers our food more.

T
If you don't own an FJ Cruiser you probably won't understand...
Until we meet on a dusty road someday, somewhere, keep on Cruisering....
2013 FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 4x4 AT
2012 Jurgen's Xcape
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Post by Froll »

Also use montego. With less mess it shows that more of the food is being used and not just running through. I hope. :thumbup:
kfxnando

Post by kfxnando »

Froll wrote:Also use montego. With less mess it shows that more of the food is being used and not just running through. I hope. :thumbup:

When we changed their food from pedigree to Montigo also found that there were poop heeps
That was the time when the pedigree factory closed for 6 months
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I fed my pups with Olympic 'Puppy' till age 18 months, thereafter the standard Olympic until it was getting too heavy on the pocket (3 big dogs). Used to mix Olympic and Montego ½ and ½ but now give them a mix of Montego 'Adult' and Montego 'Senior'. Found that if I give them too much 'Senior' they get loose tummies because of the extra proteins ... perhaps too rich for them. Bear in mind that they also get all our food scraps mixed in. All are healthy, even the 15yr old.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Rianc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2.8GD6 Double CabHilux 4X4

Post by Rianc »

All three of my current boerbuls have been on Montego since day one, puppy to 18 months and thereafter adult. I sometime run out of Montego and go to the local shop and pellets to feed them till I get the chance to go an by montego again. I have tried a number of brands (pedigree, vitagen etc) during this periods. All of these bags I bought I donated to my dad, since my dogs refused to eat it. Not even after two days have they touched any of it. So the discussion is not mine what I buy, but the dogs!
Renierwolf
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: Prado VX 150

Post by Renierwolf »

Het ook ons Rotweiler op daai duur vet pille gehad. Sy het n heup vervanging gehad en vet het dit aanbeveel. Na n paar maande het dit net onbekostigbaar geraak. 2 sakke 8kg in n maand en om en by R450 per sak betaal. Nou is ons rottie, jack russel en spca special(charpei en staffie kruising-so se spca.) op Jock.
Renier Wolfaardt
kfxnando

Post by kfxnando »

So yesterday we went to the dog show
On Friday afternoon phoned the area rep for complete dog food
We had a chat and agreed to chat further at the show

At the show before chatting to the rep, spoke to most of the large and giat breeders that were there

Yep did find the day's winning Great Dane, not sure what cotogory, has been from a puppy on complete dog food, and the owner recomends it
To people saying its good and others being sceptical
Asked all large and giant breeders what they feed their puppy and almost everyone of them had their dogs on different foods
So got some reasurance that Complete is good
Heard of some industry players politics
Montigo a d pedigree were not there, and they were there last year

Again got reasured by Complete of their ingrediants and quality, and after seeing the Great Dane, the size of a pony that grew up on complete puppy, will keep my dogs on complete, however still searching for more info

Complete puppy is this month coming out with a larger size pellet for puppys, however believe it to be the same ingredients

Still happy to get advice and comments

Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

Went for the food many top Boerboel Studs use, and many of the show dogs are on: Optimizer.

And it is same price as Montego, and has less wheat and gluten in as a filler.

Know what you don't know.
Dewald Posthumus
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4d 4x4

Post by Dewald Posthumus »

We have our Great Dane puppy on Montego puppy as recommended by her breeder. Good stuff!

Our Maine Coon cats are on Royal Canin and they refuse to eat anything else, not even those sachets of food or even the cat tuna in tins. A 4kg lasts a whole month, where as the cheaper brands disappear at a rate of knots.

Find what works for you and your animal and stick to it.
Mammabeer
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Sasolburg
Vehicle: Suzuki SJ410 (Grietje)

Post by Mammabeer »

We feed our Dogs Montego- have been for the past 7-8 years....I like Complete more, but we struggle to find it around here, and the place we buy our food from says no one wants it so he does not buy it....

I have a Dane, a Basset and a Scotty and they are all very healthy....all 3 are SPCA dogs and they were fed that at the SPCA as well....

We even feed our cat Montego catfood.
MonsterLux
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: 92 Toyota Hilux

Post by MonsterLux »

Had my dog on pedigree but nothing wow. Had him then on bobtail after friends talked me into it. Wasn't happy at all his condition went down itchy shin the lot. Switched over to complete and must say best choice ever. Within 3 days the itchy skin went away. He eats less and condition is better than ever before. Bought one month Montego couldn't get complete and after the end of the bag itchy skin was back again. So from now on complete is the only food for my dog with the occasional left overs mixed in for him.

Johan

Return to “Open Discussion”