Oubaas
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Rustenburg
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Hilux Raider 3.0 D-4D D/Cab

Very happy/unhappy (not sure yet) Hilux owner

Post by Oubaas »

Hi everybody.

I got my very first Hilux on 23 January 2013 and have been been in love with this shape since it came on the market, but could not afford it. Finally got my dream vehicle.

I started reading this forum after I bought it and started wondering if I made a mistake to buy it, since it seems to have a lot of problems with the injectors, etc.

It also seems to be high on the theft wanted list. :x Yesterday I took my family to JHB and think that they already tried to steal it, because when I tried to unlock it after doing all the shopping, the remote simply refused to work. I opened the door with the key, the alarm sounded and after a while I started the car and got the alarm to stop sounding. We drove home where I tested the alarm several times and it worked fine each time. Luckily I read on this forum about the steering lock device, bought one at Midas and I am confident that that is what saved my bakkie.

Anyhow, too late for regrets now, still love my bakkie though. Just have to do whatever I can to make it safer I suppose.
Every little boy wants a toy truck...
When the boy grows up it's only natural to want the TOY truck!

All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy.
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

Re: Very happy/unhappy (not sure yet) Hilux owner

Post by GI Jane »

Hi Dewald, Welcome to the forum... Well I am glad to hear that your vehicle is still safely with you. Hope you enjoy your vehicle to its fullest, and the information on the forum....
wim
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Vryheid
Vehicle: 95 hilux d/c Hilex

Post by wim »

Welcome Dewald and enjoy this forum. Had my Hilux for only three months and it survived its first attempted steal. On thing you must never do is walk away from it without seeing the indicators blink indicating vehicle locking after you pressed the remote. The thieves block your lock signal and then its easy for them to steal your vehicle.
ImageImageImage
Froll
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vioolsdrift
Vehicle: 2010 4.0 V6 Fortuner 4x4
Club VHF Licence: N/A

Post by Froll »

Welcome Dewald, hope you enjoy your truck and the forum. :thumbup:
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Post by Thunder02 »

Welcome Dewald,the strange thing that's happened to me a few times already,not just in my hilux but the RAV as well.Got home and everything works fine. :think:
Welcome anyway,you'll never regret buying the hilux. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
TOYODA
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '89 YN67R with Ford V6 3.0

Post by TOYODA »

Welcome Dewald :wave:

It is now second nature to me that if I lock my Lux, I pull the driver side door handle before I walk away. If it din't lock, you will be able to open the door.

It has happened only once with my S/C in 2009, but never with either of my D/C's.
IISARGE
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: brackenhurst ext2
Vehicle: 2700i 4x2 hilux

Post by IISARGE »

welcome dewald to the forum :thumbup: i hope and now you will be happy with your van guys on the forum will give you tips on how to solve your problems when you ask dont give up on your lux i have and is still going thore sume problems my self you will get there again welcome :boss:
Piece of Cake...!
ImageImage
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Welcome Dewald
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Baasvark
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Virginia
Vehicle: '97 D/C with all the trimmings & 2011 Troopy

Post by Baasvark »

Welcome Dewald.

Congrats on your purchase - you'll find this a great forum with great guys on it!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Aint it ironic that "Common Sense" aint so common after all...
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kyalami
Vehicle: Hilux 2006 3.0D4D 2x4 DC

Post by Mikie »

Welcome Dewald, I share your concerns but you havent made a mistake, check on the forum, there are precautions you can take to help prevent theft.
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Welcome Dewald to our neck of the hoods, the Hilux is like gold so you'll have to look after it, and yes there are ways to improve on the security. My first truck was stolen in church in less than 7 days of owning it, 2nd one I upgraded the security, most of it home made and we've been together 4 yrs now :thumbup:
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
Klong se Pa
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: 1995 Isuzu KB280LE 4x4 d/c

Post by Klong se Pa »

Regarding your concern about the injectors. Personally I don't think its only a Hilux-problem, and seeing the amount of Toyota's on the road using the D-4D engine, the few odd cases I know of is very little. Other brands with diesel engines suffer the same problem, only very much more expensive!

My brother is currently fixing his 2,5 5cylinder VW Caravelle's injectors at R7000 a shot for recons. I saw in the Part's section of the newest Commercial Trader new D-4D injectors advertised for R2200 a piece.

So I would not be too bothered. Just fill up at reputable and busy filling stations. That way you ensure that you get clean and "fresh" diesel, and do change the fuel filter as often as prescribed. Then I would think much of your concern is sorted, and Bob's your oom.
Oubaas
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Oubaas »

Thanks everybody.

I'm sure I will be very happy with my bakkie, (can I be more happy than I am now) and it is great to know that there are a lot of like minded people like you that one can turn to for help.

Thanks for all the replies.

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome aboard Dewald! :thumbup:

The injectors are not really problematic. The problem lies with the low grade diesel that we have here. Always use low sulphur diesel (50 ppm not 500 ppm). I am of the belief that Sasol diesel is the cleanest with very little sulphur content. As mentioned, change the diesel filter regularly. Stick to those two practices and your injectors will last a very long time.

As for the theft issue, yes the Hilux is high on the priority list, so be vigilant, careful and pro-active. From your description it doesn't sound as if there was an attempt made to steal it ... if it was still locked upon your return with no signs of entry it probable that there was just a glitch with the remote central locking .... I've experienced that a few times on my 'work bakkie'.

Enjoy the vehicle, I think you made a great choice. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Oubaas
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Oubaas »

Hi Andy.
Thanks for the advice. This is the first diesel vehicle I own in my life so I read this forum about the diesel. Some guys say to stay away from 50ppm because of the low lubrication qualities and that you should add two stroke oil if you insist on using it, otherwise you will definately have injector problems. Others again, like you, says to stay away from 500ppm because it is dirty and makes your oil acidic. I am confused, if you know what I mean. From what I can gather you can go either of the two ways, with a regular service at about 7500km. Am I right or have I missed something?

Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear

Post by Donkey »

Dewald, from what I have read and also from what most guys say, the D-4D is happier with the 50 ppm version, and even happiest with 10 ppm, which we don't have yet because we're so light years behind. On the other hand, us with the KZ motors can still get by with 500 ppm, though myself I use 50 ppm whenever possible. But I stand corrected, and when we did Bots and Nam last year all we could find was 500 ppm :shock2:
Some say the lesser the ppm, the lower the lubrication and hence the addition of 2 stroke oil, still I stand corrected, but what I know you can do and that definately works, is to look into adding another diesel filter that will trap any dirt, if I'm correct Donalson makes them :thumbup:
Tumelo Maketekete
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

ImageImage
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2018 FJ Cruiser
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Because diesel motors are high compression motors, some of the soot that gets created in the combustion process of the diesel blows past the rings and contaminates the oil. The sulpher content of the diesel is what robs the engine oil of its lubricating properties and causes damage to the engine. 500ppm obviously has a lot more of this than 50ppm, thus more contamination can be expected.

Now with modern diesels, using 50ppm diesel, service intervals can be extended from 5000km to 10000 km because of the lower sulpher content in the diesel. Sulpher content is not what makes the injectors pack up, it is other impurities and especially water that causes injectors to fail.

The long and the short of it is, you can use 500ppm but be sure to service your vehicle every 5000km. 50ppm is not available north of the border, and there are many many happy Hilux D4D owners living there, and they dont all experience injector failure.

I use 50ppm only, except when it is not available. Rumours that 50ppm does not have enough lubrication are just that, rumours. There are enough additives added to ensure proper lubrication of the dieselpump and fuel delivery system. I dont think any fuel company will be able to survive the financial consequences of putting a product in the market that does not comply to the specifications of vehicle manufacturers. Imagine the law suits!!

Enjoy your diesel vehicle. Fuel up at reputable fuel stations, and when you travel in remote areas where you are not sure of the quality of the diesel you have to put in your car, pour it thru a filter to trap most of the impurities. Adding an additional fuel filter is also not such a shabby idea. I know Traveller did a deal for some pre-filters with water traps for D4D Hiluxes. They work.

That is my understanding of the diesel thing. Will the more technical guys please help out where I went wrong??
Thys de Jager
Fired as CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2018 FJ Cruiser - #stofgevreet
1984 Mercedes 126 Black Widow Vernon Koekemoer Edition
email: thysdj@gmail.com

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Dankie oom Thys :thumbup:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Oubaas
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Oubaas »

Dankie oom Thys, sal maar van nou af 50ppm gebruik. Dit maak sin wat oom sê.

Still researching a bit on diesel pre-filters (is that right?), will ask at Midas.

Thinking about buying the Donaldson filter system as discussed on this forum by Traveler.
viewtopic.php?f=145&t=22723" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Question: Why are the guys that bought this not giving feedback? Feedback was asked in June 2012 already, but no answers. Mmmm.
Does this mean they are not happy, still testing, unsure, not looking at that forum? :think:
It really does look like a great option though.

I had some security upgrades as well. :yahoo:
Had a top-pin gear-lock installed and moved the alarm siren to another location.
Will moving the alarm siren work? Hope so.

andrevt
Town: sasolburg
Vehicle: raider d4d

Post by andrevt »

hi dewald
ek het in beide my D4D's die filter sisteem van donaldson ex traveler die een in die double cab is in sedert 2011 en die single cab laasjaar gedoen die filter in dir d/c ruil ek jaarliks en filter die water uit eenkeer pr week,sal dit hoogs aanbeveel veral asjy baie oorgrens gaan
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4
Oubaas
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Oubaas »

Dankie Andre.

Traveller het my vandag gebel en meer vertel en ek gaan dit definitief insit. Dankie vir die terugvoering.

Dink julle die filter maak enige verskil op diesel verbruik of nie regtig nie?

Return to “Meet the People”