Crime and community

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Crime and community

Post by Mud Dog »

Our neighbourhood has experienced a sharp rise in crime recently. Three homes were broken into while the residents were home and held at gunpoint. These were separate incidents, one in the early evening and two at about 7.30 in the morning. My dogs are big and vicious, but that doesn't mean I'm safe .... just a harder target. It may be just a matter of time before they are poisoned.

Almost 20 years ago at the time of transition between the old and new regimes there was a lot of anxiety and communities pulled together to create neighbourhood watches. At that time I was directly involved in setting up and maintaining such a watch, and now when it was suggested by some to revive the watch system, I have become involved again.

As part of putting it all together I organised a street braai with the aim of getting the surrounding community to know one another a little better. In total we had 5 fires going and close to 80 people (probably closer to 100 if one included the kids ..... these pics were taken early before everyone had pitched). A good turn out considering that the area we are starting with is rather small .... only about 130 homes and not every one was able to make it on the night. I just cordoned off a section of the street with traffic cones and barrier tape, put up some temporary flood lights, and we did our thing. Went off well.

IMG_8010.JPG
(45.01 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
IMG_8012.JPG
IMG_8012.JPG (40.9 KiB) Viewed 984 times
IMG_8013.JPG
(54.79 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
IMG_8015.JPG
(60.44 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
IMG_8016.JPG
(48.01 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: Crime and community

Post by ChrisF »

We have an active neighbourhood watch, with regular area patrols.

significantly lower crime rate than 2 to 3 km away from us ....

best is - when my retired neighbour sees anything out of the ordinary I get a phone call.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Previously we did the patrolling ourselves with radio contact to the closest police station. We want to do away with this concept and are looking at employing a security company to do the patrolling for us. All residents will be provided with contact numbers of the sector policing officer in charge, his 2ic as well as the patrolling company ops room. Of course all participating members' contact details can be distributed if they so wish.

One company has offered to install security cameras at all street access points to the area ...... sounds like a good option.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
kfxnando
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

glad for you guys, that you can get that kind or response

by us it used to be just a handfull that did all the patrolling, and eventually though to hell with that, now sadly just look after my own place
as when the pawpaw hits the fan, its only a hand full taking all the heat

wish we could get that to work by us

if every one works together, the the results will be there
and with all the jobs being lost crime is bound to increase

good luck :cooldude:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Great Andy. I think part of our problems today is that we do not know our neighbours because we live behind our fences. I think your street braai was a great idea.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
JEEPIE
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Official hilux 4x4 club recovery vehicle
Club VHF Licence: X 43

Post by JEEPIE »

we tried getting everyone involved in a 3 block radius by us
cant believe that grown up people can female dog and moan about nothing
it would cost each house hold R400 odd rand / depending on the numbers who sign up
would have armed security patrolling the area
after the security compant did personal visits to each house hold , and a so called meeting that 10% of the resiodents attended
we still live in exactlly the same way as before
people just cant stand together to make a difference , really sad actually

how many people today actually know their neighbours ?
how many actually know what their neighbours look like ?
strange how times have changed
OFFICIAL HILUX 4x4 RECOVERY VEHICLE

if you want to change this to recovered , first recover me - and have a relevant picture / foto to prove it !
ADVANCED 4x4 DRIVER COURSES DONE : US 254135 / US 254154
(STILL AWAITING SO-CALLED TETA CERTIFICATION VIA THE SERVICE PROVIDER AFRICAN OFF-ROAD ACADEMY - WHAT A JOKE)
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Agreed Shaun, that kind of apathy seems to be ingrained within the nature of the modern urbanite. I guess we were lucky to strike while the iron was hot after the incidents mentioned.

It's true that we don't really know our neighbours ..... one doesn't have to live on each other's doorsteps, but at least know who's who and be on speaking terms to converse about issues that affect us.

The street braai was a great ice-breaker and I had dozens of requests to do it again soon, Promising sign.

Neilrodeo
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Fortuner D4D
Club VHF Licence: X129

Post by Neilrodeo »

We also started a CPF (Neighbourhood watch) about 3 years ago.
First it was going great - to many people driving patrols, crime went down to almost nothing....

Then out came the guys in charge..... R100 for this cap, R200 for this shirt, R300 for decalls.
2 months down the line, - sorry guys the old "uniform" is not accepted anymore...... please spend another R500 for this new one........

Then the police climbed aboard, and instead of assisting them all of the sudden you were working for them.
The rules became worse then actually working for the force themselves.
We had to drive to the station to "sign on" for shift and then sign of afterwards.
The police vehicles started pulling out of the area because crime was down.
Suspects we chased hours to catch were released at the station without being charged.
All the above chased 90% of the people away and we are basically only a handfull still patrolling.

What is the good that comes out of this?
- you learn your area, you meet most of the people.

We have about 3 elderly ladies staying alone that gets visitted every week to see if al is well, and then you get koeksisters etc. the way they are meant to be made.......

The friendship and bond between the patrollers that stayed cannot and will not be broken.

Even if there is no patrollers, a simple shout on the radio have about 5 vehicles at your residence in 3 minutes.

My advice to anyone starting or trying to save a community watch is keep it simple and it will be fun.
Sort out the cowboys before they take your reputation down....... not saying someone cannot fall against a wall and loose his teeth...... :acute: ., but there is a difference.

Return to “Open Discussion”