Travel from Walvis to Pretoria??

Need some information for an upcoming trip or have questions about a camping site, etc, ask it here.
Willem van Schalkwyk
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

Travel from Walvis to Pretoria??

Post by Willem van Schalkwyk »

Hi,
I am planning a trip to Namibia in December and would like some advice for traveling to Pretoria from Walvis.
Is it better to go through Botswana or via Upington?
What is the time difference between the 2 routes? (I know it’s about 450km further via Upington.)
Will I be able to get to Kang from Walvis if I leave at around 3pm traveling via Buitepos?
It will be me and my son (7). Do I need a letter from his mother to cross the borders?
Also what about night driving in Botswana?
Your help will be greatly appreciated. :beg:
Thanks!!
MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1998 JEEP XJ 4.0............ 4 inch lift.... more mods to follow............ Old vehicle was MOFASA
Club VHF Licence: X119

Re: Travel from Walvis to Pretoria??

Post by MOFASA »

Willem van Schalkwyk wrote:Hi,
I am planning a trip to Namibia in December and would like some advice for traveling to Pretoria from Walvis.
What is the time difference between the 2 routes? (I know it’s about 450km further via Upington.)
Will I be able to get to Kang from Walvis if I leave at around 3pm traveling via Buitepos?
It will be me and my son (7). Do I need a letter from his mother to cross the borders?
Thanks!!

The only thing i can help with is the letter from your sons mom
If you have his pasport you WILL still need a letter from his mother alowing you to take him to (Country Name) from (date to date) and the date returning into sa....

this is cos of some people taking their kids an fleeing the country..
I would take cert copies of his birth cert and all paperwork including the copies of the letter to be safe........

Hope this helps... :thumbup:
Live Life in the FAST lane....
Forget the past, Embrace the FUTURE!!!!
To 4x4 or not to 4x4 thats the question....
IT'S A JEEP :yahoo: ..... You wouldn't understand....
ImageImageImage[rimg=206x128]
Jaco Versfeld
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Western Cape
Vehicle: Moms Taxi, 2001 Prado (The Barbie Cruiser)) Sold - Mufasa: '86 Hilux DC 4Y EFI
Club VHF Licence: X69

Post by Jaco Versfeld »

Hallo Willem,

I have done both roads. The road between Windhoek, Gobabis to border is notorious for kudu/game during the evening, so I will not try and drive it at night. Driving through Botswana during the night is again not advisable, due to stray animals. If you leave Walvis at 3 pm, I would rather try to sleep in Gobabis, or near the border - what is the name of that nice camping place with the cheetahs?

The road via Upington is also good, if I have to drive through the evening, this is the route I would take (there is still a chance of kudu/game, but it is much smaller than via Gobabis).

My 2cw
Willem van Schalkwyk wrote:Hi,
Thanks!!
ChrisSwart
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Johanesburg
Vehicle: 1999 2700i Hi Lux

Post by ChrisSwart »

Jaco Versfeld wrote: what is the name of that nice camping place with the cheetahs?
Camp name is Zelda
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Try not travel anywhere in rural Africa at night. :disgust: You do not see animals (2 or 4 legged) :surrender: with the lights of on-coming vehicles shining in your eyes. :frustrated: :blackeye:
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Sliver
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Windhoek
Vehicle: HiluxVigo Smartcab D4D 4x4

Post by Sliver »

Hi.Your trip sounds quite nice.I travel a lot and my advice is not to drive at night in Botswana.It is not worth trying.Way to many animals sleeping in the road.If you want to travel at night go the Upington way.If you are willing to travel via gravel road,you can make trip shorter and more interesting.I will give you the directions if you want to go this way.It is very easy to cover the distance in two days,even in one day depending on how late you leave Pretoria.It is hard driving.2 Days are better.
Crossing the border with with a minor is easy.Make sure he has a valid passport,and letter from his mother.Sometimes they ask and sometimes they do not even notice.From Walvis to Kang is about 1167 km.This is a solid 10 hour drive.Remember that the border close at 12 at night and opens at 6 in the morning.
Hope this helps
Willem van Schalkwyk
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town

Post by Willem van Schalkwyk »

Thanks for that advice! It seems like night driving through Bots is a no-no. I will also have some meat with me and from what I’ve heard no meat over the Bots border. :crazy: Then I will be going the Upington route. I am hoping to leave at around 12:00pm from Walvis but worse case 3pm.
Sliver, if it’s not too much trouble please advise on those dirt roads. I don’t mind traveling them. I am a bit pressed for time at that stage but not going to rush anything.
I will push on during the day but take it slower in the evening. I need to be in Pretoria at around 6pm the next day. I will probably take a 4-5 hour rest somewhere. If I can make it to the Nokop border post in one run I will be happy. Then take a rest there or Upington.

Also thanks all for the advice on the docs needed everyone. :thumbup:
Much appreciated!!

Return to “Route Planning questions/discussions”