2007 Hilux 2.5D4D SRX D/C 4X4 - Weak Brakes.

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Bedford
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5D4D SRX D/C 4X4

2007 Hilux 2.5D4D SRX D/C 4X4 - Weak Brakes.

Post by Bedford »

:sos: Hello all Hiluxers

I was just wondering whether anyone had complained prior to this post re rather weak brakes on their Hiluxes. Mine is a 2007 2.5 D4D SRX 4x4. The one without ABS. I have to apply one hell of a lot of pedal pressure in an emergency to bring the vehicle to a standstill. The hand brake is decidedly weak. According to the manual the correct setting is 7 clicks on the handbrake lever. When I park on a uphill and apply the hand brake the vehicle rolls back.
I know the old Hiluxes had a manual rear shoe adjustment which is accessed through the backing plate. Does the newer units have the same?. There is no reference to it in the manual.
Your assistance in this matter would be appreciated.
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: 2007 Hilux 2.5D4D SRX D/C 4X4 - Weak Brakes.

Post by OOOOMS »

Hi John, I can adjust mine through the backing plate and it's a 2005 2.5 D4D :thumbup:

Yes my brakes were also rather poor and I had the front and rear skimmed. Made a huge difference, and my handbrake is also much better now.

Do you carry any load / or have you raised the rear? If so, also adjust the load sensor above the diff :thumbup:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

In setting up the handbrake it's critical that you first slack off the cable, then adjust the ratchet in the drum so that the shoes are just starting to touch (done by 'feel' with the rear wheels off the ground) and then lastly re-tensioning the cable so that you have 5 - 7 clicks on the handle. If there is no mechanical fault in the drum (worn shoes or shoe pivots etc.) you will have a handbrake strong enough to do a handbrake turn.

As far as the pedal brakes are concerned, when last was the brake fluid replaced and bled? It's hygroscopic and over time it absorbs atmospheric moisture which reduces it's hydraulic effectiveness. The other things to check are the condition of the discs and pads and that the callipers are working properly as well as any signs of 'sweating' / fluid leaks, especially if it gets onto the pads or shoes.

As Mark mentioned, a skim could also improve performance if the surfaces have become glazed .... same holds true for the surfaces of the pads / shoes, a light sanding sorts it out and of course the compound of the pads makes a difference too .... normally the softer compounds give better performance but wear quicker. Use "Ferrodo" or "ATE".

;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Bedford
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5D4D SRX D/C 4X4

Post by Bedford »

To all that replied to my post.
Thank you all for the time taken to reply. My vehicle has just clocked 150000 and to my knowledge the brakes are still original. I will try the rear shoe adjustment and cable set up next weekend. I am just about due for new front pads. Another question: what is the expected life of the rear shoes ? At 150000 kms should I change them or strip and check?
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Bedford wrote:To all that replied to my post.
Thank you all for the time taken to reply. My vehicle has just clocked 150000 and to my knowledge the brakes are still original. I will try the rear shoe adjustment and cable set up next weekend. I am just about due for new front pads. Another question: what is the expected life of the rear shoes ? At 150000 kms should I change them or strip and check?
I would think they are finito.....at 150 000km's. Just pull off the rear wheel then drum with the help op a screw (there are two) as I suspect you may battle.....and check! New set of rear pads on my wife's Tuna were around R450.00 for the set. (not from Toyota, but Gemini) Hers was changed at 90 000km's.

If you are not technically minded, then it's not such an easy job getting it right the first time, like me :cry: But doable :thumbup:
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Hi Bedford

I have had the exact same experience as you and it is the bakkie telling you that the rear brake shoes are worn. My 3lt DC 4x4 started doing the same at 100 000 ks and the brake linings were almost worn through. So I am certain that at 150000 yours would be too. Last time I got a new set of brake shoes from Toyota and replaced them without skimming the drums. The brakes were perfect again. I am about to hit 200 000Ks now and I can clearly feel that it is time to replace them again. This time I will definitely have the drums skimmed and the old shoes which I kept re-lined. Compared to other bakkies I have worked on the brake linings on the brake shoes are quite thin.

Return to “The Workshop”