In place of my backseat in my DC

Members' DIY projects
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Strand WC
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.
Club VHF Licence: X112

In place of my backseat in my DC

Post by GI Jane »

I am thinking about taking the back seat out of my DC and turning it into a storage space and space for a fridge... Know Thys and Stu have taken out their back seats and would like some ideas on what anyone has done in that space.... Please..
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Re: In place of my backseat in my DC

Post by Donkey »

Someone did this though I can't get to the name, but Oooms will remember (I hope). But personally I would cut up 1/2 of the rear seat, re-upholter the other half, just in case you'd want to take a 3rd person, or in our case maybe a baby chair one day.
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Val, have a look at what Stu did. His shelf is really neat... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4, 2.41t Raider 1998 DC - front & rear difflock, 140lt fuel tank, 31" BFG a/t, snorkel, drawer system, alucab canopy, driver with attitude.

Post by GI Jane »

Tumelo, actually keen not to have a back seat at all, thinking of fitting a 50 litre fridge (weekender) and a rack system of some sort to fit a couple of ammo boxes, either for supplies or camera equipment.... Seems like the way to go is to put a platform type structure on the floor... I see that national luna have a base plate that the 50 litre fridge slides into and it can be secured to it... and just not sure where to put the deep cycle battery and how to set all of that up... Definitely will not be needing place for a baby seat... :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

ThysdJ wrote:Val, have a look at what Stu did. His shelf is really neat... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Welcome back my friend.... How did you back seat conversion work out and what did you do? Will try and track Stu down. Not sure I saw the finished product when I saw him last...
warrenaken
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: JHB
Vehicle: 3.0 KZ-TE 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X04

Post by warrenaken »

This is what i did. Works great:

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=17588
Toyota Hilux KZ-TE
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

warrenaken wrote:This is what i did. Works great:

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=17588
Thanks, that looks really neat....
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Slides wont work Val, the door-openings are too small (awkward). My rear shelf worked perfectly. Just need to make it a little more "organised". After 3 weeks of living out of the truck it became a bit of a mess. Fitted the 40l Engel and a 45l Coleman side by side, with jackets over the top. Lots of space for cameras, laptop, first aid kit etc etc that needs to be close at hand. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager

Whisky
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2009 Toyota Hilux DC 3.0 D -4D 4X4
Club VHF Licence: HC 136

Post by Whisky »

Hi G I Jane,

This is what I did

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=9046&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Ben
GI Jane
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by GI Jane »

You're right slides won't work, expressed myself badly... the NLuna has a base plate that gets bolted onto the floor or platform on the floor, and then the fridge clips into the baseplate to secure it, so that it does not move around in the vehicle. I imagine I need to have a frame built like that one on a previous forum post.... use either wood or alu as a platform, then the NL base plate and then fridge... On the other side thinking of some type of structure that can accommodate some ammo type boxes to pack stuff in..... In the middle just behind the two front seats see if I can fit a deep cycle battery box for a 105 amp battery to run the fridge... Does that sound feasible?
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

GI Jane wrote:You're right slides won't work, expressed myself badly... the NLuna has a base plate that gets bolted onto the floor or platform on the floor, and then the fridge clips into the baseplate to secure it, so that it does not move around in the vehicle. I imagine I need to have a frame built like that one on a previous forum post.... use either wood or alu as a platform, then the NL base plate and then fridge... On the other side thinking of some type of structure that can accommodate some ammo type boxes to pack stuff in..... In the middle just behind the two front seats see if I can fit a deep cycle battery box for a 105 amp battery to run the fridge... Does that sound feasible?
I just used eye-bolts secured to my platform to tie down the fridge... worked fine... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager

george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Hi Val
This is what i did. It has 2 ammo boxes at the bottom and can take 4x ammo boxes on the side.The middle plastic shelves will be for the cameras and loose stuff.
This setup will be to high for a fridge.
1.JPG
1.JPG (39.51 KiB) Viewed 2569 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (40.68 KiB) Viewed 2569 times
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"

Return to “Build your own:”