Botswana travel question.

Discuss anything here as long as it is clean. Having a hard time with your Skoonma, tell us about it here, or discuss the Rugby. Whatever you feel like talking about.
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Botswana travel question.

Post by zepplin »

Has anyone driven from Kasane to Maun via Chobe National Park recently? Looking for tips/advice on the road conditions. I'm thinking of doing this road on my upcoming two week trip through Nam & Bots.
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
Tokkie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 1999 Hilux D/C 2.7

Re: Botswana travel question.

Post by Tokkie »

Do you want to go threw Chobe-Savuti-Moremi or around the top threw Chobe via Nam to Maun?
Image Image
http://www.umkulu.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.breederiverraftingtours.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.orangeriverrafting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by zepplin »

I'm entering Bots via the Caprivi so am looking for tips on the Moremi-Savuti route.
Tokkie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: 1999 Hilux D/C 2.7

Post by Tokkie »

It is raining up there at the moment, so depending on when you want to go i will ask the Bots wildlife what roads are open and whats not cause when those roads get bad they get really bad lots of mud holes.
Image Image
http://www.umkulu.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.breederiverraftingtours.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.orangeriverrafting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by zepplin »

Thanks. I'll be up there between 20th & 26th March.
Taljaag
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Secunda
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3D4D

Post by Taljaag »

I planing to go on a trip in July.Iam going to traveling through Botswana (Lobatsie) and entering Namibia (Buitepos).Please can someone help me.What is the road tax , Fees,third party insurance and what else do i need to go through the boder post at Botswana/Namibia.(And what is the cost) And sorry one last thing.Can i tak food in or must i rather buy in Namibia.

Life is Easy.....! It's the freakin' people that make it difficult!
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by zepplin »

Not 100% sure of the fees at the moment but you will also need to take the original registration papers of your vehicle (certified copies will also be accepted). It's best to buy your fresh food along the way.
Taljaag
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Taljaag »

Thanks Steve.So die beste sal wees om al jou kos/vleis/groente ander kant die grens pos te koop.Dit sal dan al die onodige probleme uit sort.
Ons moet net sorg vir die papier werk moet reg wees.

OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Taljaag wrote:I planing to go on a trip in July.Iam going to traveling through Botswana (Lobatsie) and entering Namibia (Buitepos).Please can someone help me.What is the road tax , Fees,third party insurance and what else do i need to go through the boder post at Botswana/Namibia.(And what is the cost) And sorry one last thing.Can i tak food in or must i rather buy in Namibia.
Road tax into Bots is/was last time we went Oct. 2011 180 Pula. Make sure you have sufficient Pula with you. If you are coming back vai Bots on your return ask for a duel enty permit. They you only pay around 240 Pula once off.

Into Namibia road tax was around R160 or N$160.

In Gobabis there is a butcher that will pre arrange all your meat at very good prices. Will find the number for you. Just tell him how you want it packed / frozen and he will make sure it is ready for you when you pass through there.
Taljaag
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by Taljaag »

Thanks.I will be glad if you can help me with the contact no.

OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Hier is die link met die besonderhede na Khalari Slaghuis:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=17516&p=195814&hil ... is#p195814" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jammer Zep, maar ek hijack nie jou thread nie, probeer net hier help :wink2:

Back to topic :!:
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by zepplin »

No worries. Good advise is always welcome.
Witblits
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Koringberg
Vehicle: Hilux D4-D S/Cab
Club VHF Licence: X50

Post by Witblits »

We travelled from Kasane through the Chobe to Maun and then Ganzi during January 2012 - trip report here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23356" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Decided to risk doing it on our own (one vehicle) because we were stationed in Kasane for 4 nights and had almost no rain during this period. Thus, the Chobe roads were dry, some deep sand in places. Some very deep ruts were evidence that, if wet, these roads will be considerably more difficult to traverse. IMHO not recommended to travel alone under wet conditions.
ImageImageImage
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by zepplin »

Thanks for this Andre. Can you elaborate a little on the Kasane - Maun route? I believe the road has been tarred for quite some distance south of Ngoma to around Kachikau? Google earth shows this to be the case too.

We are planning to do this route solo in a couple of weeks.

Thinking of Kasane - Savute camp on day 1 then Savute to Maun on day 2. Is this realistic or not in your opinion?
Witblits
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Koringberg
Vehicle: Hilux D4-D S/Cab
Club VHF Licence: X50

Post by Witblits »

Yes, Steve, from Kasane to the gate at Ngoma is a main, tarred road, but look out for animals, especially elephants, and some hyena looking for spoils. From there the B334 starts off as a tar road, can't remember how far, guess about 30 or so kms. Then you hit the sand tracks. You should easily do this in 2 days. Distance from Kasane to Savuti is about 160 kms and from Savuti about another 200 kms to Maun. However, if the road is wet, make time for slow progress, I presume. We travelled from Kasane right through to Ganzi, which is some 640 kms - this took us the whole day from daybreak to dusk - too much of a hurry for our liking, but at some stage one has to do the distance to get nearer to home. The gravel once out of Chobe up to just before Maun is tricky, badly corrugated in places and not well maintained. Still, in my experience, I prefer the worst gravel in Botswana to their tarred roads - potholed, animals, people, villages, traffic, speed traps, etc. You should, however, consider visiting Moremi - it will be worth your effort. But remember to get you permit beforehand - this can be done in Maun and, I think, also in Kasane at the main gate to the Chobe.
ImageImageImage
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by zepplin »

Thanks Andre, great info.
Kasane to Ganzi via Savuti in one day ................I'm impressed!!!!!!!

I had planned on doing Kasane to Maun in one hop but since it's through prime game area we decided to take it easy & stop over.

Looks like we'll follow the same route as you did, Gobabis - Mariental etc so will put in the big mileage then.

Return to “Open Discussion”