SFA internal fan

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Bandit
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Port alfred
Vehicle: 2008 Fortuner V6 4x4

SFA internal fan

Post by Bandit »

I find that on my SFA hilux, when I turn the fan on inside the vehicle to get a bit of air on me, it just does not blow! When it is on full, I cannot even feel the air on my face. I know that the small windows are there so that you can turn them in, and blow air onto you, but in the eastern cape, the wind blows most days, then you get sand-blasted!
I was just wondering if this a common problem, and if so, has anyone maybe done a conversion to get better results?
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Re: SFA internal fan

Post by ThysdJ »

This is normal. I know Bretton had a quest for more air, I also looked into it, but gave up. You can clean out the ducting and the filters which will improve the flow of air somewhat, but even then dont expect a hurricane rather expect light farty air movement... I was looking ito getting a BMW fan and housing but then winter came along and all of a sudden the fan was not that important any longer. I guess this summer I will do some more investigating... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Mine was simular untill I opened the fan unit and found some leaves etc in there. After removing it and putting the fan unit back, I could actually feel a descent bit or airflow
To God be the glory
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Never had a problem with mine.
Daryll I suspect that your fan or ducting may be choked with debris. I purposely try avoid parking under trees and always remove any leaves or other debris that may fall on the hood, intake grille and windshield. It could also be that some of the fan blades have rusted off the drum if you're in a particularly corrosive environment, like very close to the sea, but I doubt that to be the case here since I'm no more than 1½ k's from the beach and mine is an older model than yours. Is the fan running, do you hear it? If not it might just be a fuse that's gone or a poor connection. The motors themselves rarely give trouble. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Mud Dog wrote:Never had a problem with mine.
Daryll I suspect that your fan or ducting may be choked with debris. I purposely try avoid parking under trees and always remove any leaves or other debris that may fall on the hood, intake grille and windshield. It could also be that some of the fan blades have rusted off the drum if you're in a particularly corrosive environment, like very close to the sea, but I doubt that to be the case here since I'm no more than 1½ k's from the beach and mine is an older model than yours. Is the fan running, do you hear it? If not it might just be a fuse that's gone or a poor connection. The motors themselves rarely give trouble. :think:
I think his model would be the same as mine. It has plastic fan blades so I doubt that it is rust related but most probably debris like you said

The fan is a centrifugal fan and sometimes debris get trapped inside the squirrel cage which then throws the fan of balance slowing it down.

To God be the glory
Bandit
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Bandit »

I can hear the fan running, but it just does not push much air out. I was talking to Mike Anchorage, and his seems to be the same, just does not get the air flow. I will strip it out on the weekend and see if there are any leaves etc causing a blockage, but have done this before, and couldn't find anything wrong. Will maybe also look at fitting or modifying something else to fit in it's place, this summer is going to be a cruel one!
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

just open a window.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Bandit wrote:I can hear the fan running, but it just does not push much air out. I was talking to Mike Anchorage, and his seems to be the same, just does not get the air flow. I will strip it out on the weekend and see if there are any leaves etc causing a blockage, but have done this before, and couldn't find anything wrong. Will maybe also look at fitting or modifying something else to fit in it's place, this summer is going to be a cruel one!
Maybe after you stripped the fan out, switch it on and see if it has sufficient rpm's to generate the wind
To God be the glory
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

When the air circulation system gets old, a couple of things can go wrong that negatively affect the air flow...

1. debris in that squirrel fan... reduces fan efficiency...
2. the fan motor itself... gets sticky, dirty inside, lubrication dries out, and often the brushes are worn below minimum... all adding up the reduced performance... the unit can be stripped and serviced... this makes a huge difference... oh yes check that the plastic pipe between the motor and blower housing is connected... else the motor could burn out!
3. the wire linkages into the air control box... these control the position of the flaps that direct the air flow... if the wire linkage breaks/get disconnected or the flap jams(because of debris)... the air flow is hindered...
4. this is especially true for the main heater flap... if this one jams... then, even with the air flow set to cold, the air has to pass through the heater radiator, which drastically reduces air flow... and you might not notice it because the heat valve on the engine side is closed, so the air is still cool(ish)...
5. the air is directed around behind the dash by plastic ducting, at every duct joint there is a strip of foam sealer... these seals perish... and the air escapes at every joint... again reduces air flow...
6. if any of these ducts are missing, especially the one under the steering column, the air flow will suffer!

Fixing the air circ system is a monumental pain... cause taking out a hilux dash is a cr_p job... you've been warned!

mr b :wink:
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

One of my clients fitted an Isuzu KB 280D Fan and it works well, haven't done it myself, maybe you can investigate.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilux 2700i
Club VHF Licence: HC262

Post by legend35 »

Maybe a loose conection on the wires.Try to put a relay on the fan ,maybe it could help.
2004 Hilux 2700i 4x4 Legend 35
ImageImageImageImage
Cowley branch and freeflow,long range tank,dual battery system,home made front and rear bumpers.
Jaco Versfeld
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Western Cape
Vehicle: Moms Taxi, 2001 Prado (The Barbie Cruiser)) Sold - Mufasa: '86 Hilux DC 4Y EFI
Club VHF Licence: X69

Post by Jaco Versfeld »

Hi Hoppy,

Do you perhaps have more info on this? I hear the Landrover guys fit BMW fans...
Hoppy wrote:One of my clients fitted an Isuzu KB 280D Fan and it works well, haven't done it myself, maybe you can investigate.
I opened mine, but ja, it was not very dirty, and still not blowing too strong. I couldn't see the brushes. Would the new IFS fans fit?
Bandit
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Bandit »

Opened the fan housing etc up, didn't find anything out of order, one or two small leaves. I replaced the brushes, but still doesn't work that well. I think I will also investigate the isuzu option. In my frustration, I managed to break the selection lever cable for the air direction, so that's the next challenge. I have stripped the dash out once before Mr.B, so I agree with your opinion, it is a cr*p job, but something we just have to do! Will keep you guys posted on the isuzu conversion.
Jaco Versfeld
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Western Cape
Vehicle: Moms Taxi, 2001 Prado (The Barbie Cruiser)) Sold - Mufasa: '86 Hilux DC 4Y EFI
Club VHF Licence: X69

Post by Jaco Versfeld »

Hi Daryl,

Where did you buy the new brushes from?
Bandit wrote:Opened the fan housing etc up, didn't find anything out of order, one or two small leaves. I replaced the brushes, but still doesn't work that well. I think I will also investigate the isuzu option. In my frustration, I managed to break the selection lever cable for the air direction, so that's the next challenge. I have stripped the dash out once before Mr.B, so I agree with your opinion, it is a cr*p job, but something we just have to do! Will keep you guys posted on the isuzu conversion.
Bandit
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Bandit »

Hey Jaco, bought the brushes from a spares shop in PE, they are for the Isuzu, but 2 swipes on sand paper and they fit the toyota.
I sorted mine out today...
Bought a 1600 toyota corolla complete fan with cage from a scap yard for R150. No modification was necessary, I am just not to sure which model it was from, but one of the newer ones. The squirrel cage and mounting plate are identical to the hilux, just a much bigger and more powerful motor. The top edge of the cage was just very sharp, so I dulled it with some 60 grit sand paper and it workes like a dream! Blows so hard you don't even need seat belts!
Word of warning... A few years worth of cr*p built up in the pipes comes out at a hell of a speed (blonde moment) and had to vacum the inside of Bandit when I was finished.
Entire process, take out old, dull edges and fit new one took around 35 minutes. The plugs are all identical, so you just plug it in.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Bandit wrote: Word of warning... A few years worth of cr*p built up in the pipes comes out at a hell of a speed (blonde moment) and had to vacum the inside of Bandit when I was finished.
Entire process, take out old, dull edges and fit new one took around 35 minutes. The plugs are all identical, so you just plug it in.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
To God be the glory
zepplin
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Crooza VX 80 EFI
Club VHF Licence: HC 127

Post by zepplin »

Nice one Daryl, this is my next project.
Crooza VX 80 efi - fully locked.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Darryl, which of these models did you get it from?

To God be the glory
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

Hey Darryl, I'm glad its a quick job. Which scrap yard did you get it from?

I haven't had a look yet but I presume you can access the fan easily from under the dash without removing to much stuff??

Maybe I should go shopping tomorrow...
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Nice one, i think it's the "bubble" shape, '89 to '98

At least we don't have to use Isuzu parts!
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Allan, ek weet wat jy Maandag gaan soek.... sommer daar by Alltech... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager

Bandit
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Bandit »

Andrew: It was barnetts in grahamstown road, very hepful people to deal with.
Hoppy: You are correct, on the list I would say the second from the bottom looks like the one I got it from, the bubble shape.
Bandit
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Bandit »

Sorry Andrew, ver easy to get to. Passenger door, under the glove compartment next to the side kicker panel. Remove the kicker panel, unplug the plug on the firewell, behind the fan motor, unplug the fan plug, and remove the 3 bolts. 8mm socket with the knuckle as the one at the back near the fire wall is a bi*ch, I just lifted the corner of the carpet away to give a bit more room to get it out the box. And then just reverse the procedure to to fit the new one. If you only connect the plug to the fan motor, then you will only get full speed when testing it, but if you connect both the firewall plug and the fan plug, then you get the 4 speed for the fan. Hope this helps.
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Adding a 2nd propeller increased my fan's output by substantially.

See peekchaz
Attachments
Fan2.jpg
Fan Mod.jpg
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

..... and no ballance / vibration issues?? I see you secured it with cable ties (what else would you expect from an electician :lol: :wink: )... you must have battled to centralise it. :think:

Rich, jokes aside, did it really help? I only ask because the drum fans are generally a lot more efficient than the propeller type and I woulds then imagine that the less efficient metal one would be a hinderance to the airflow. Furthermore, correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like your fan (metal) is installed upside down in the pic ..... if the drum were to rotate clockwise it would draw air into the centre which is then intended to vent out the open end where you have installed your metal one. On clockwise rotation the metal one looks like it is counteracting that flow, pushing air back into the drum? :think:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
GeorgeJvR
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Louis Trichardt
Vehicle: 2008 Prado 4.0 V6, 1989 SFA S/C 2.2 1998 SFA LTD 22RE

Post by GeorgeJvR »

My fan is working if i directly supply 12v and earth to the fan motor,
The fuse behind the cubby doesn't have a 12v supply which comes from the relay, the relay does have 12v,
Don't know what condition the resistor in the fan housing is in.
The fan doesn't come on if i use the selector on the dash,
I've tried a new relay but no change
What does each of the 5 pins on the relay do/ where do they come from?
Black and white = earth
Thick white = 12v
Red goes to the fuses A/C and heater fan
Yellow = ?????????
Yellow/Blue (not shure of the colour) = ???????????

what does the resistor do?
To Buy and sell a vehicle is my hobby
Make a deal that no one else thought possible is my aim

Kom wat wil ek bly 'n Bul!
Zandyl
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Mokopane
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7i 4x4 DC

Post by Zandyl »

what does the resistor do?
It reduces the voltage supplied to the fan to give different fan speeds
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Mud Dog wrote:..... and no ballance / vibration issues?? I see you secured it with cable ties (what else would you expect from an electician :lol: :wink: )... you must have battled to centralise it. :think:

Rich, jokes aside, did it really help? I only ask because the drum fans are generally a lot more efficient than the propeller type and I woulds then imagine that the less efficient metal one would be a hinderance to the airflow. Furthermore, correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like your fan (metal) is installed upside down in the pic ..... if the drum were to rotate clockwise it would draw air into the centre which is then intended to vent out the open end where you have installed your metal one. On clockwise rotation the metal one looks like it is counteracting that flow, pushing air back into the drum? :think:
M_D... that's a Mr B prototype... of course it works perfectly... :twisted:
Bloues
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Hilux 2.2 D/C

Post by Bloues »

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the info, started last night with Bloues fan and today I need a "spasmed & deepheat" for my back.......but busy fixing the fan ......... !! Will keep you posted !!!!!
Bloues
(Nie blou bul maar SHARKS ondersteuner)
Don't fence me in.....
'91 D/Cab 2.2(4y) AKA - Bloues. Lifted Suspension, Dual Battery, 80Liter Freezer, Bridgestone Dueler A/T, 29Mhz Radio, Mud Creeper Winch(Aus), EasyAwn Rooftop Tent, Roofrack, Garmin Nuvi, Long Range Fuel Tank, Jacks+straps for landi recovery.....
GeorgeJvR
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Louis Trichardt
Vehicle: 2008 Prado 4.0 V6, 1989 SFA S/C 2.2 1998 SFA LTD 22RE

Post by GeorgeJvR »

All sorted at last :thumbup: :D

Now to give it some boost :think:
To Buy and sell a vehicle is my hobby
Make a deal that no one else thought possible is my aim

Kom wat wil ek bly 'n Bul!
Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Anybody got this issue really sorted as my fan cant shake the flame on a candle lol
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Cookie Monster wrote:Anybody got this issue really sorted as my fan cant shake the flame on a candle lol
Someone used the fan of an older model 160 Corolla and it fit perfectly and has a bigger motor....
To God be the glory
519franco
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Richards bay
Vehicle: 87 Hilux 3L v6 Ford

Post by 519franco »

what happens if we recoil the moter to thicker wires
HAPPILY BUILD 3L V6 1987 TOYOTA HILUX
viewtopic.php?f=136&t=18393" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FORD> Full Off Road Damnation
FORD> Its not oil leaks,, its swearing power
Sponser: MY DAD
Builder: ME: FRANCO DU PLESSIS
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

519franco wrote:what happens if we recoil the motor to thicker wires
It gets weaker / slower because thicker wire will allow less windings and it's the number of windings that will make it stronger / faster. And if you go for thinner wire with more windings you stand more of a chance to burn the motor out. Bottom line, don't mess with it.

;-)

Return to “The Workshop”