Alternator problems....

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Alternator problems....

Post by CasKru »

Okay so Sunday I made a special hand delivery to Johan at Chloorkop. And on the way there went through some muddy water barely axle deep. Coming back home the afternoon after MIL's party I saw the battery light is on (faintly).....mmmmhhhhh another regulator FUBAR I thought. Strangely enough when I rev the engine the light gets dimmer and almost dissapears.

Okay. Open the bonnet. Hose down the engine to cool it down quicker so I can replace the regulator (luckily I had a genuine Bosh on standby). Park the bakkie and start remove the old regulator and replace with new. Start the engine... have a look at the instrument cluster and light is out :D:

Replace all the covers and do some other small things on the engine I wanted to do. Take it for a spin to see if all is well and the to the fuel station. After filling up when I start it again... back is the illuminated battery light. :evil: :evil:

Go back home. Open the bonnet and hose down the engine /alternator to cool it down. Start the bakkie to park it under the carport so I can work again and gone is the warning light.

So it seems like when the alternator is hot, the battery warning light comes on but when the bakkie has been parked for a while and you start it then, all is fine. Do I need to have the alternator serviced / re-conned?
To God be the glory
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Alternator problems....

Post by OOOOMS »

Cassie het jy nie onlangs die alt laat recon nie?
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Het jy hom gemeet al met 'n multimeter
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

OOOOMS wrote:Cassie het jy nie onlangs die alt laat recon nie?
Jip... seker so 8 maande terug
george wrote:Het jy hom gemeet al met 'n multimeter
Ek het ja. As die liggie af is dan het hy 13.86v gegee en wanneer die liggie aan is dan gee hy 13.3v
To God be the glory
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Het hulle 'n waarborg gegee?
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

george wrote:
Het hulle 'n waarborg gegee?
Kan nie onthou nie... en het ook nie meer die dokumentasie nie :( As ek reg onthou was dit net so oor die R450 om te recon.
To God be the glory
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Ek het die selfde probleem gehad, kan veral as hy warm was het die liggie effens gegloei. Nadat ek x2 regulators in gehad het het hy weer 100% gewerk.

Dalk nie in die geval nie :?:
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

OOOOMS wrote:Ek het die selfde probleem gehad, kan veral as hy warm was het die liggie effens gegloei. Nadat ek x2 regulators in gehad het het hy weer 100% gewerk.

Dalk nie in die geval nie :?:
Ek dink ek gaan hom maar weer uithaal en saam met die ander unit wat daar in my garage lê vat daar na Gordon Key and Son dat hulle altwee recon. At least dan as so iets weer gebeur het ek 'n backup.
To God be the glory
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Cassie, use your DMM to test the diodes in the Alternator. If your DMM has a "Didoe" setting, use that and compare readings - they should all be the same. Then do a resistance check as well, relatively loww-resistance reading in the "forward" direction, but should be close to infinity in the 'reverse' direction (swap0 the leads).

The test should be performed with all wires on the Alternator disconnected and you may also have to loosen one lead (the pigtail) of the diodes. But then you should check the soldered/screwed connections any how.

Its years since I've done this so I guess you might have to open the Alternator in order to reach the diodes.

-F_D

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

(Eric posted before me, but .....)

Can't be rotor / stator windings that are 'burnt', otherwise you wouldn't get the full voltage when it's cold ... unless there is a break that makes contact when it's contracted (cold) an separates when it's expanded (hot) .... very unlikely, but possible. It's more probable that the regulator is playing up. I would swap it out with one from that other alt if you know that one works and see what it does. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Family_Dog wrote:Cassie, use your DMM to test the diodes in the Alternator. If your DMM has a "Didoe" setting, use that and compare readings - they should all be the same. Then do a resistance check as well, relatively loww-resistance reading in the "forward" direction, but should be close to infinity in the 'reverse' direction (swap0 the leads).

The test should be performed with all wires on the Alternator disconnected and you may also have to loosen one lead (the pigtail) of the diodes. But then you should check the soldered/screwed connections any how.

Its years since I've done this so I guess you might have to open the Alternator in order to reach the diodes.

-F_D

-F_D
Thanks Miester F_D

When I replaced the regulator I replaced it with an unmodified regulator (standard Bosh). Unfortunately my DMM met an untimely demise when I forgot to pick it up of the ground before moving the bakkie. :oops: :oops: :oops:

I did buy a cheap DMM jobbie and can't remember if it has the diode setting.
Mud Dog wrote:(Eric posted before me, but .....)

Can't be rotor / stator windings that are 'burnt', otherwise you wouldn't get the full voltage when it's cold ... unless there is a break that makes contact when it's contracted (cold) an separates when it's expanded (hot) .... very unlikely, but possible. It's more probable that the regulator is playing up. I would swap it out with one from that other alt if you know that one works and see what it does. :think:
Thanks Andy. The regulator I swapped out I know was working 100%. This is the one I took out when I did the experiment with the cheaper one to add the diode to increase the voltage output.

And the symptoms on them are exactly the same.
To God be the glory
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Found this on another site and it sounds exactly the same as what is happening with mine:
Saasquatch wrote:So heres what it does when I start it cold all the voltage readings seem to be good and the battery light is off and it stays off until the car is shut off for the first time and then when I turn it back on the battery light goes on...Here are some voltage readings from the cold start and then the readings from after the car is hot and the battery light comes on.

These readings are from a cold start:
Everything off : 12.5V ish
Car running: 14.45V ish
Car running all accessories on: 14.15V ish

The readings from after it's hot:
Everything off: 11.94V
Car running: 11.69v
Car running all accessories on: 11.26v

Bad Alternator?
JayTheSnork wrote: 02-04-2010, 02:16 PM
yes, I'd lean towards that. it sounds like when the car is cold, the diode block is working fine; after it gets warm from current running thru it, one of the diodes in the diode block is breaking down and becoming open (not conducting).

not sure if you can just replace the diode block in the alternator or not, but that is where I would start.
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/archi ... 04068.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So it seems that F_D had it right :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
To God be the glory
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Any body got an idea where I can purchase a diode pack for an alternator?
To God be the glory
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Diesel Electric? Assuming it is a Bosch. Otherwise, try any Auto-Electrician.

-F_D

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Tsumeb
Vehicle: 1991 Hilux2.2 ---1987 Hilux D/C Hella 1000, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Good Year M/TR, Warn Winch, STK bullbar, Extended shacles, Kenwood VHF-SOLD

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Ja Cassie jy moet vir die ooms luister, hulle weet van wat hulle praat...behalwe ooooms hy is nogie n oom nie lol
Is gebed jou spaarwiel of jou stuurwiel?
'Life is a coin. You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it ONCE'
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Hi-Hilux wrote:Ja Cassie jy moet vir die ooms luister, hulle weet van wat hulle praat...behalwe ooooms hy is nogie n oom nie lol
Hy't in elk geval nou die dag erken hy weet nie waarvan hy praat nie :mocking: :mocking:
To God be the glory
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Are the diodes not built into the regulator assembly? :think:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
kfxnando
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Germiston
Vehicle: Ford V6 3.4 Courrier soon to be powered by Yamaha!! Jeep GC 4.7 V8, Aygo broken traded for a Kia Picanto.2ex, 2012 Jeep GC 5.7 V8 Ovrrland

Post by kfxnando »

sometimes something small could be the couz of these small faults!!

would suggest two things to try!! before tacking the alternator to pieces to the test all the diodes like FD said!! could also be a diode breaking down under heat, however after a while it should pack up completely!!

when you insert the the regulator, there is a little copper spring tag thing a ma bob, check that the copper tag/spring is clean so that it will always make proper contact!! yes that is a contact!!
might explain why sometimes the repeated changing of regulators have solved similar problems!!

the other would perhaps be a bad soldered joint where the end of the coils are soldered to the rectifier, however by this time one would have the alternator in pieces!! :laugh2:

you are not too far from me, shout if you need help!!

could even be a bad earth on the vehicle, that when heat builds up, earth resistance builds up, and charge rate drops!! check this before stripping down the alternator!!
and come to think of it, have seen this before!!

good luck!! :beach:

MD posted while I typed, the diodes(rectifier) is a separate unit inside!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://community.webshots.com/user/kfxnando" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://s538.photobucket.com/albums/ff343/kfxnando/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

kfxnando wrote:sometimes something small could be the couz of these small faults!!

would suggest two things to try!! before tacking the alternator to pieces to the test all the diodes like FD said!! could also be a diode breaking down under heat, however after a while it should pack up completely!!

when you insert the the regulator, there is a little copper spring tag thing a ma bob, check that the copper tag/spring is clean so that it will always make proper contact!! yes that is a contact!!
might explain why sometimes the repeated changing of regulators have solved similar problems!!

the other would perhaps be a bad soldered joint where the end of the coils are soldered to the rectifier, however by this time one would have the alternator in pieces!! :laugh2:

you are not too far from me, shout if you need help!!

could even be a bad earth on the vehicle, that when heat builds up, earth resistance builds up, and charge rate drops!! check this before stripping down the alternator!!
and come to think of it, have seen this before!!

good luck!! :beach:

MD posted while I typed, the diodes(rectifier) is a separate unit inside!!
Thanks Fernando. I did most of the checks above. I replaced the alternator with an older one I had in my garage which was still working when I replaced it with this bigger one. I took the regulator I installed on the one that was faulty and installed it in the old one and then fitted the alternator to the bakkie and all is well again bakkie wise.

The alternator that is faulty was reconn'd about 8 months or so ago. I'm not to sure if the diode pack is one of the items that actually gets replaced when reconn'd. Except for the charge light problem the alternator is still in perfect shape, running smooth and silent when turned by hand.

So I'm going to start by replacing the diode pack.... :D:
This is how it more or less looks like
And here are the components of an alternator (a Bosh but not the model fitted to my bakkie)
To God be the glory
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

This is a diagram of the alternator
Diode Pack.JPG
To God be the glory
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

Mud Dog wrote:Are the diodes not built into the regulator assembly? :think:
They're built into the one end plate of the alternator, usually a pressfit into the metal body and with a tag or pigtail for the + terminal. They used to be available separately, in these modern days of throwaway components not sure if this is still the case. There should be replacement components available however, but not necessarily from a normal auto spares shop.

-F_D

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Okay so I replaced the diode pack this past weekend. I haven't fitted it to the bakkie yet but here is some pics of the components of an alternator for those that might be interested.
ReSize002.jpg
New diode pack soldered on
The old diode pack
The old diode pack
The old diode pack
The old diode pack
To God be the glory
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

R89 for a platter for one... not bad!
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Mr_B wrote:R89 for a platter for one... not bad!
That's nothing... did you see it's only R16.95 for a glass brick :shock2: :shock2:
To God be the glory
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

I wonder if a glass brick will keep rust away if I put one in the hilux door? :think:
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Mr_B wrote:I wonder if a glass brick will keep rust away if I put one in the hilux door? :think:
:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
Some how I don't think so :)
To God be the glory
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Hi Cassie

Dit lyk my jy kom mooi reg met die alternator.Kan ek myne maar bring vir n service?

/a
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Lollie wrote:Hi Cassie

Dit lyk my jy kom mooi reg met die alternator.Kan ek myne maar bring vir n service?
Jy kan maar bring... maar wil jy hom werkend terug hê?
To God be the glory
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by The Legend »

CasKru wrote:

Ja asb Cassie,en daar moet ook nie spares oorbly as jy hom weer aanmekaar sit nie :lol: :lol: :lol:

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Lollie wrote:
CasKru wrote:

Ja asb Cassie,en daar moet ook nie spares oorbly as jy hom weer aanmekaar sit nie :lol: :lol: :lol:
lol....
To God be the glory
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by The Legend »

CasKru wrote:

Ja asb Casssie,daar moet ook nie spares oorbly as jy hom klaar aanmekaar gesit het nie :lol: :lol: :lol:

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Ek het toe nou my luiheid gelos en die alternator in gesit gister... en toe ek die drade op koppel is ek mos toe nou weer Tarzan en breek die "lug" af. Maak toe gou een uit koper en soldeer hom om te toets of als werk (die winkels was klaar toe). Als lyk goed en as die bakkie idle dan gee hy so 13.8v (eintlik te min want ek het weer die diode conversion gedoen). Wag toe maar vir die winkels om oop te maak vanoggend en gaan koop vir my toe ordentlike "lugs" en 'n crimping tool.

Haal die battery pool af, maak die draad los van die alternator strip hom terug toe waar nie soldeersel in gekom het nie, krimp die "lug" van en koppel weer al die drade op. Start die bakkie en meet die laai spanning.... 14.6v... daai is mos nou beter.

So.... maak seker wanneer jy enige eletriese terminale krimp, gebruik oordentlikke lugs en crimping tool, dit maak 'n masiewe verskil.

Maar nou om terug te kom na die heel oorspronklike probleem, die alternator liggie kom nie meer aan as die alternator warm word nie. So die probleem was lyk my 'n diode op die diode pack :thumbup: :thumbup:
To God be the glory
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Dis nou mos sommer baie goeie nuus :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

OOOOMS wrote:Dis nou mos sommer baie goeie nuus :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Is ook bly die probleem is nou gesort. Ek wil nou net daai backup alternator van my instuur laat hy gerecon word dat as die een oppak, ek daai een net kan opkoppel en daar gaat ons. Ek ken nou al die trick... ek change die alternator nou is so 30min :thumbup: :thumbup:
To God be the glory
mikama
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: randfontein
Vehicle: quashqai

Post by mikama »

Bly om te hoor, Ek het ook n nuwe altenator maak pas op my lux,Die altenator
skop eers in as ek hom so 4500rpm, hoekom maak hy so ?
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

mikama wrote:Bly om te hoor, Ek het ook n nuwe altenator maak pas op my lux,Die altenator
Ek weet nie so mooi nie. Dit kan dalk iets met die regulator te doen wees. Ek het al gehoor dat die Bosch regulators eers wakker word nadat jy hom eenkeer gerev het. Myne moet net so 1500rpm kry nadat ek hom gestart het dan is hy reg.
To God be the glory
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Tsumeb
Vehicle: 1991 Hilux2.2 ---1987 Hilux D/C Hella 1000, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Good Year M/TR, Warn Winch, STK bullbar, Extended shacles, Kenwood VHF-SOLD

Post by Hi-Hilux »

mikama wrote:Bly om te hoor, Ek het ook n nuwe altenator maak pas op my lux,Die altenator
Ek sit met daai selfde probleem vandat ek die nuwe 4y ingesit het, hy het sonder altenator gekom en ek het die een wat ek vir die v6 gekoop het op die 4y maak pas en hy sit ook liggie af op 3000. As dit liggie af is kry ek ook 14v, maar ek het dit nou algewoont geraak. Bly jou altenator is reg Casman!
Is gebed jou spaarwiel of jou stuurwiel?
'Life is a coin. You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it ONCE'
legend35
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Hilux 2700i
Club VHF Licence: HC262

Post by legend35 »

Cassie.Ek dink daai altenator is vandag goed getoets. :thumbup:
2004 Hilux 2700i 4x4 Legend 35
ImageImageImageImage
Cowley branch and freeflow,long range tank,dual battery system,home made front and rear bumpers.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Hi-Hilux wrote:
Ek sit met daai selfde probleem vandat ek die nuwe 4y ingesit het, hy het sonder altenator gekom en ek het die een wat ek vir die v6 gekoop het op die 4y maak pas en hy sit ook liggie af op 3000. As dit liggie af is kry ek ook 14v, maar ek het dit nou algewoont geraak. Bly jou altenator is reg Casman!
Ek gaan bietjie kyk of ek 'n antwoord op die een kan kry.... daar moet tog iets wees wat nie sin maak nie.
legend35 wrote:Cassie.Ek dink daai altenator is vandag goed getoets. :thumbup:
Stem... en ek kan nou my tyre repair kit vir die eerste keer op die bakkie se bande gebruik. Het al plenty ander karre en bakkies se tyres reg gemaak maar dit is die eerste vir daai Maxxis :thumbup: :thumbup:
To God be the glory
FUDGES
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: D4D 3.0l

Post by FUDGES »

Nou waar was nou alweer.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Nay ons was by Chimes gewees. Ek dink ek het iewers oor 'n plank met 'n spyker in gery want dit is 'n mooi netjiese klein koeëlronde gatjie
To God be the glory
Hilux2Hilux
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux

Post by Hilux2Hilux »

Hi Cassie en die Res,

Ek het ook 'n probleem met 'n battery liggie wat aangaan.

Het hom nou al 2 x by Toyota gehad.

1 x by Toyota Auto Electrician.

En hulle is nou raadop.

Wel dit werk so.

Na so +- 30 km kom die battery liggie gewoonlik aan.

Ek het die toets gedoen met die battery liggie aan dan wys dit vir my 13.8V sonder ligte aan.

Met hooflige aan 13.6 V

Nou ek het 'n 3.0 D4D en die toyota klomp se die D4D se alternator kan nie reg gemaak word nie.

Die auto electrician het gese hy kan vir my 'n pirate part kry vir so R2800.

Wat stel julle manne voor?

Ek het ook ooooms se fred gelees oor sy alternator skoonmaak.

Derick
Hilux 3.0 D4D, OME, Duel Battery, PBE Charger, Long Range Tank, GME300,ARB Bullbar and Winch, Replacement Rear Bumper, Bakkie Slide and Water Tank
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Stel voor jy kontak Diesel Electric, en hoor wat se hulle:
0119551546 Krugersdorp, ek het nie ander nr's vir hulle nie...
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Hilux2Hilux wrote:Hi Cassie en die Res,

Ek het ook 'n probleem met 'n battery liggie wat aangaan.

Het hom nou al 2 x by Toyota gehad.

1 x by Toyota Auto Electrician.

En hulle is nou raadop.

Wel dit werk so.

Na so +- 30 km kom die battery liggie gewoonlik aan.

Ek het die toets gedoen met die battery liggie aan dan wys dit vir my 13.8V sonder ligte aan.

Met hooflige aan 13.6 V

Nou ek het 'n 3.0 D4D en die toyota klomp se die D4D se alternator kan nie reg gemaak word nie.

Die auto electrician het gese hy kan vir my 'n pirate part kry vir so R2800.

Wat stel julle manne voor?

Ek het ook ooooms se fred gelees oor sy alternator skoonmaak.

Derick
Jy weet nie dalk wat die model nommer is van daai alternator nie. Ek kan nie dink dat mens hom nie kan service nie. Daai klink ook vreeslik baie na die diode pack wat se een diode gegroet het
To God be the glory
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Die details van die D4D alt is hier:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9097" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Ek praat onder korreksie maar dit lyk my die diode pack se part number is 1 127 320 166
To God be the glory
Bulletjie-3
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux Raider SFA met 7M-GE engine

Post by Bulletjie-3 »

Cassie was dit n Toyota altenator wat jy ingehad het en toe stukkend was met die Bosch een spaar ?
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Bulletjie-3 wrote:Cassie was dit n Toyota altenator wat jy ingehad het en toe stukkend was met die Bosch een spaar ?
Altwee is Bosch. Die een wat oorspronklik in my bakkie was het ek so jaar of twee terug vervang met een wat ek by 'n forum member gekoop het wat 'n upgrade gedoen het en toe die goed spaar gehad. Die een wat ek by hom gekoop het is oor gedraad om 95A te wees in plaas van 55A standaard (ek dink).

So ek wil nou my oorsponklikke een vat dat hulle hom ook nou oor bedraad dat hy ook 95A gee dat ek 'n 100% spare het.
To God be the glory
mikama
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: randfontein
Vehicle: quashqai

Post by mikama »

Ek het my lux na n oto electrician gevat, die dash bord ligie moet die altenator triger om
te laai. Ek het nooit gekyk na die liggie nie, hy het hom net weer gekonek nou chage hy
hy van idling af en nie meer op 4500rpm nie
So leer jy na n nuwe batery en nuwe altenator verniet gekoop het
mervyn
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: 2001 Prado 3.4 VX

Post by mervyn »

(Had to do this again as the site was down a little while ago and post didnt go thru)

Guys here is my problem. Had my Lux EFIed and shortly after that noticed that the second battery was not charging. Have a NL battery system in. Also the main battery was repalced after the EFI and if I recall Louis told me the new one was a few amps higher than the old one. New one is a 652.

When I tested the charge rate I got 13.2v at the battery and 13.7v at the alternator. All tests were done whilst the engine was idling and there was no load from lights etc.

The guys at NL also told me alternator seems to be an issue as charge rate ought to be higher. They also said that the system only starts to charge the second battery if rate is more than 13.7v at the main battery.

So I decided to do the regulator mod. That didnt go well. After the mod the alternator was still at around 13.8v and then it went up to 14.46v for a few minutes and then fell down to 12.8v. There still remained a loss of .5v at the main battery. Desite revving and idling for a few minutes the rate never went higher that 12.8v. BTW I bought a new Bosch regulator and did the mod on that.

The next day the rate went up to 13.9v (alt) and 13.4v (main battery) but that didnt last longer than an hours driving and it went down to 12.8v again at alternator.

I changed the diode and the alternator is now around 13.9v and the main battery around 13.4v but not as much as the others guys have got after their mods.

Apart from changing the cable between the alternator and fuse/relay box next to the battery, what could be the other problems?

Could this a case similar to Cassie's diode plate? On that point Cassie, how much to buy a diode plate and from where?

Pse help guys.
ImageImageImageImageImage
mervyn
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by mervyn »

BTW guys alternator is a standard Bosch alternator.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

mervyn wrote:(Had to do this again as the site was down a little while ago and post didnt go thru)

Guys here is my problem. Had my Lux EFIed and shortly after that noticed that the second battery was not charging. Have a NL battery system in. Also the main battery was repalced after the EFI and if I recall Louis told me the new one was a few amps higher than the old one. New one is a 652.

When I tested the charge rate I got 13.2v at the battery and 13.7v at the alternator. All tests were done whilst the engine was idling and there was no load from lights etc.

The guys at NL also told me alternator seems to be an issue as charge rate ought to be higher. They also said that the system only starts to charge the second battery if rate is more than 13.7v at the main battery.

So I decided to do the regulator mod. That didnt go well. After the mod the alternator was still at around 13.8v and then it went up to 14.46v for a few minutes and then fell down to 12.8v. There still remained a loss of .5v at the main battery. Desite revving and idling for a few minutes the rate never went higher that 12.8v. BTW I bought a new Bosch regulator and did the mod on that.

The next day the rate went up to 13.9v (alt) and 13.4v (main battery) but that didnt last longer than an hours driving and it went down to 12.8v again at alternator.

I changed the diode and the alternator is now around 13.9v and the main battery around 13.4v but not as much as the others guys have got after their mods.

Apart from changing the cable between the alternator and fuse/relay box next to the battery, what could be the other problems?

Could this a case similar to Cassie's diode plate? On that point Cassie, how much to buy a diode plate and from where?

Pse help guys.
Are you sure you connected the diode the right way round? Either the alternator is in need of a serious service or the new regulator you fitted is a dud.

The diode pack had different symptoms so I don't believe it's that. I bought a second hand diode pack from Battery Centre in Midrand. Think I paid R400 or so.
To God be the glory
mervyn
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by mervyn »

Diode was correct as the silver band was on the side closest to the earthing hole. Alternator was checked by the auto electrician and he said it was fine. Also I checked diode on the multimeter before installation and it read 567.
Family_Dog

Post by Family_Dog »

What is the number of the diode you used, Mervyn?

-F_D

Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

With that fluctuating voltage I'm inclined to think that you may have a bad connection / contact somewhere. :think:

mervyn
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by mervyn »

Eric it is a 1N4007. I used this after discussing it with Cassie.

Andy since we changed to new diode it is stable but still around 13.9v at the alternator.
mervyn
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by mervyn »

Andy I know I am losing voltage due to the cable. I am planning to change it in the morning to a higher cable and check the connections. But straight out of the alternator should be a higher rate, like 14.3v?
mervyn
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by mervyn »

Eric this may be more up your alley....how do u calibrate a DMM? I have a cheap one but my friend has an identical one. When we were checking the voltage on the alternator we got different readings from the battery. Do they become inaccurate if the batteries in them are getting too low?
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

mervyn wrote:Eric this may be more up your alley....how do u calibrate a DMM? I have a cheap one but my friend has an identical one. When we were checking the voltage on the alternator we got different readings from the battery. Do they become inaccurate if the batteries in them are getting too low?
Maybe just take it to a battery centre. They will test the charging voltage for you free of charge
To God be the glory
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by The Legend »

Hi Mervyn

I got a diode from Cassie and modified the regulator.At idle speed the voltage on my battery is 14.66 volt .With my head , spotlights radios and fan on it reads 13.45 volts at idle and 14.58 volts at 1500 revs.

I also rewire the alternator(90 AMPS)and use a 16 mm wire direct from the alternator to the battery.You wll defenitely get an higher voltage reading if you link a 16mm or bigger wire direct from the alternator to the battery.

N:B Dont forget to put an inline fuse in the wire.

Return to “The Workshop”